SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Front strut leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 06:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Front strut leak

I know, there are lots of posts about strut leaks, but I have not found what I am looking for. I have a low mileage 2003 SL55. I found some oil had leaked from the bottom. There is no oil where the hose attaches to the strut at the top. I removed the band at the top of the flexible boot. The oil is coming from the upper part of the strut, and it feels like Pentosin hydraulic fluid, somewhat thick and tacky. I could not reach far enough upward to determine the source. There must be a hydraulic cylinder above the coil-over that pushes it down to extend the wheel. I would expect there to be seals in that cylinder. The damper should have its own fluid sealed inside of it. That is the norm for dampers. Have any of you seen what the strut looks like with the upper cover removed? Do you know where I might see a photo? If it is the damper oil leaking, then I will have to replace it. If is actually the Pentosin oil leaking, I might try hydraulic seal sealer.
Please do not turn this post into a discussion about using sealer. Thank you.

Last edited by WurlitzBurg; Today at 06:47 PM. Reason: selling
Old Today, 07:10 PM

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
Hopefully not off-topic, but I don't know of anyone who has yet worked out how to disassemble the struts and replace the seals. There can't be too much in them but you would certainly need spring compressors to get them apart.
Old Today, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 232 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Replace the strut.
The following users liked this post:
WurlitzBurg (Today)
Old Today, 08:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tom Manning
Hopefully not off-topic, but I don't know of anyone who has yet worked out how to disassemble the struts and replace the seals. There can't be too much in them but you would certainly need spring compressors to get them apart.
Yes, that is not practical for me. I just like to know how things work. I am curious about just how many seals are in a strut and where they are.
Thanks for the reply.