SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Does anybody purchase their car at lease end?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Does anybody purchase their car at lease end?

We may want to purchase one of our vehicles at lease end. Has anybody kept their car? Any drawbacks? Any benefits?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
We may want to purchase one of our vehicles at lease end. Has anybody kept their car? Any drawbacks? Any benefits?
Your car has a residual buyout at the end of your lease. The only positive or negative to buying the car at the end of your lease is whether or not this predetermined buyout price is above or below market in terms of the car's present value.

Other than that I don't see any issues. I have always bought my cars at the end of the lease as I have allowed my employees to buy my old cars because there was good value.

The one time I didn't sell my car to an employee I still bought it and sold it through e-Bay and made a profit.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Your car has a residual buyout at the end of your lease. The only positive or negative to buying the car at the end of your lease is whether or not this predetermined buyout price is above or below market in terms of the car's present value.

Other than that I don't see any issues. I have always bought my cars at the end of the lease as I have allowed my employees to buy my old cars because there was good value.

The one time I didn't sell my car to an employee I still bought it and sold it through e-Bay and made a profit.
I have leased for years through MB Credit and they couldn't make it easier to either buy the car yourself or coordinate your sale to a third party. They handled all of the paperwork and even provided financing where needed. Also, I've noticed on the last few S-Class leases that MB Credit has discounted the buyout price "below" the pre-determined residual value.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
I have leased for years through MB Credit and they couldn't make it easier to either buy the car yourself or coordinate your sale to a third party. They handled all of the paperwork and even provided financing where needed. Also, I've noticed on the last few S-Class leases that MB Credit has discounted the buyout price "below" the pre-determined residual value.
How accurate have MB Credit's residuals been. Are they on target? High? Low? What's been your (anyone's) experience.

Was there an opportunity to buy a warranty @ lease end? If so, do you remember what it cost?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Nope, I usually don't keep any of my vehicles. I like to stay on top of things.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
How accurate have MB Credit's residuals been. Are they on target? High? Low? What's been your (anyone's) experience.

Was there an opportunity to buy a warranty @ lease end? If so, do you remember what it cost?

Thanks!
The residuals established on "day one" are the markets guess as to the value in month 36 etc. If a bunch of Benz's come off lease at around the same time, the auctions reflect the current market and prices get depressed. MB has to keep the cars moving so they react accordingly and give discounts off the pre-determined residual number. I personally don't retain my cars after the lease period, but all the people who have bought my lease cars thru MB have all been able to obtain extended warranties. ( PS And on my 2000 S430 they REALLY needed it ! )