SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Is Traffic Jam Assist featured in your SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Is Traffic Jam Assist featured in your SL?

Hi,
I'm in the UK, and spoke to an SL500 owner today about Traffic Jam Assist, and he said he'd never heard of it. I thought it was a standard feature of the SBC brake system on the new SL, but maybe it's only offered in the US? How is the TJA activated? I've read somewhere that it requires adjustment of the cruise control stalk.

Please clarify - I'm ordering my SL soon and I want to be sure that TJA is offered, as it sounds like a useful feature. Thanks
John
Old 06-09-2002, 03:55 AM

SL500
Here's the info I read about Traffic Jam Assist....

Thanks Mark - here's the info I've read on the web about Traffic Jam Assist (taken from http://whylifesucks.tripod.com/newsl.html)

"Moreover, the SBC system offers innovative additional functions to reduce the driver’s workload. These include Traffic Jam Assist, which brakes the vehicle automatically in stop-and-go traffic once the driver takes his or her foot off the accelerator. The Soft-Stop function – another first – allows particularly soft and smooth stopping in town traffic"

This site was put together pre-launch so maybe the end result of the SBC was slightly different.

Another reference to TJA is found at http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_MER/doc_mer0011231/article.htm

"The Sensotronic Brake Control also incorporates a so-called Traffic Jam Assist function, which is activated using the cruise control stalk while the car is stationary. The benefit is that during stop-and-go traffic drivers only need to use the accelerator pedal; once they take their foot off the accelerator, SBC slows down the car to standstill at a steady rate of deceleration. The Traffic Jam Assist facility can remain operational up to 60 km/h and switches off automatically at higher speeds. "

Sites referring to Traffic Jam Assist...
TJA reference 1

TJA Reference 2
Old 06-09-2002, 06:37 AM

SL500
Traffic Jam Assist

Thanks - I guess it TJA never made it to production then. Elsewhere I've heard that it will definitely be offered on the new Maybach limousine from MB next year (which obviously comes with SBC too), and there seems to be a fair amount of interest in this particular feature. Perhaps it'll be offered on the SL face lift model in a few years time (I saw your Roadmap the other day). I'm only interested in TJA as I smashed my knee in a car accident a few years back, so when driving in stop/go conditions, the continual movement from accelerator pedal to brake and back gives me pain.

Cheers,
John C. (Cirencester, UK).

PS: Had my first drive of the new SL yesterday in a self-hire car from The Silver Carriage Co. in Colchester. Only had it for a couple of hours and it cost me £125 but it was impressive!