SL/R231: Run Flat Tires/Acoustic Lock/Unlocking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 SL550 '15 C400 4MATIC and a really old Honda Accord
Run Flat Tires/Acoustic Lock/Unlocking

Hello,

My vehicle finally arrived over the weekend. When the extreme temperature subsides in Northern VA, I will take pictures and post.

When I looked underneath the trunk lid, I didn't see the air compressor or spare tire like my previous E550 coupe. This lead me to believe that I have a run-flat tire because the only thing I saw was the Bang and Olufsen amplifier installed there.

One interesting point to make. When I took the European Delivery in May, the vehicle locked with the audible sound of three beeps (just like all prior Mercedes I have had) and one beep to unlock. After the vehicle arrived and got processed thru the VPC, the sound disappeared.

When locking the vehicle, there is a "thump" sound as if something "tripped and fell." I thought the vehicle was malfunctioning so I took it back to the dealer that same day {the audible lock setting was disabled when I picked the SL up at the dealer}. The service advisor walked me to another SL they have on the lot and showed to me that their SL is doing the same thing; stating that all 2013 models have done away with audible "beeps." He also explained that the system maybe different in Europe than in the US.

This coincides with the status update that I received during the shipment process indicating that my vehicle was taken to the Vehicle Preparation Center for "modification"

For everyone who has already owned the new SL or has experienced it, can you please let me know if these points are indeed true?...so that I wouldn't be the only crazy one?

Thank you
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550, 2011 E550 4-matic, 2010 S550, 2010 ML350, 2010 BMW X3, 2010 BMW 328i
I think you can turn the audio signal on or off in the settings menus. Our new E550 has this option. Personally, I don't like having the beep and have it turned off---draws too much attention and isn't necessary. Although, if you use the key lock (instead of touching the door handle with your hand) to lock the car, two clicks will make the car beep once.

About the run-flats: Unlike the other Mercedes we have, the new SL has taken the plunge into run-flats. Yup, you've got run-flats now. I'm not a big fan of them, but they ride very well on the new SL.

Hope that helps.

RB
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
My '05 SL has the doughnut tire & compressor but yet's equipped with run flats, while my 2013 sL has nothing in the bottom of the trunk.. which is strange because there's a fitted black polystyrene tray with cutouts for 2 items in there.

No beeps.

My locking noises are barely noticeable and consistent with MB's I've had in the past and present. The w163's were the loudest locking from what I can recall... although none sound reminiscent of something "falling over".

Since it's July.. is yours the AMG?

Last edited by gocargo; 07-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.