SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Stuttgart-Zurich-Munich-Prague First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
Stuttgart-Zurich-Munich-Prague First Impressions

We picked up our SL550 this past Monday in Stuttgart. I thought I'd add my first impressions to the discussion. Most of our first trip was highway driving with a few hundred kms at 100+ mph speeds.
Positives:
1) The powertrain is incredible (as compared to my 2002 R230 SL500). Lot's of torque, great exhaust sound, and overall a great feeling.
2) I reallly like the Magic Roof. Easy to use, nice light control.
3) The Distronic Plus works like a charm, especially at 100+ mph speeds. Really a worthwhile option.
4) The split screen lane guidance function of the navigation, especially when approaching a highway exchange at higher speed, is very helpful.
5) My wife likes the massage function of the seats. I like the dynamic side cushions.
Negatives:
1) I miss the closed storage bins in both side doors. I find them much more convenient than the low open storage areas of R231.
2) I preferred the drink holders that extended from the bottom of the navigation screen on the R230. I find that the new system takes up a lot of space on the console that would have been better used as a small covered storage compartment.
3) The loss of the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
4) The wood/leather steering wheel is thicker than that on my R230. It feels strange. Don't know why this was changed.
5) The battery is now under 2 covers, making access more difficult. Probably not important if you get the dealer installed trickle charging system/connector.
6) The loss of a separate battery that only served the starter and therefore didn't run down if you didn't use the car for a month or two. The digital owner's manual warnings about lack of use need to be taken seriously.
Overall, I'm very pleased, primarily from a performance and handling perspective. I do believe that we've lost a few features thanks to the calculations of the "bean counters".
Bill
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 S Cabriolet, 2014 SL63, 2002 SL500
Congrats on your new SL!! Please, more information on the rest of your european delivery tour??? Sounds like you are having a great time.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Helmut430
Congrats on your new SL!! Please, more information on the rest of your european delivery tour??? Sounds like you are having a great time.
We flew into Germany on Sunday, landing at the Frankfurt Airport. From the airport, we took the ICE train to Stuttgart. The train trip takes a little over an hour and leaves directly from Frankfurt Airport.
From the Stuttgard Main Train Station, we walked about 500 yards to the Steigenberger Hotel.
Monday morning, we had breakfast at 8:00 and arrived at the MB Customer Center in Singlefingen a little after 9:00 a.m. (about a 20 minute cab ride from the hotel). The EPD program includes: the Hotel, Breakfast, 2 taxi transfers, and lunch/brunch at the Customer Center.
We were offered a Museum tour, but declined since we had a late afternoon appointment in Zurich.
We visited the on-premises MB shop where my wife bought a hat and I bought wheel locks, which they immediately installed at no charge.
The delivery paperwork, the temporary export license plates, and basic vehicle orientation took about 2 hours.
The EPD package includes full insurance and "export registration" for 14 days. This can be extended at your own cost. Their was a charge for road tax (€ 97.00 for our stay - the charge is dependent on the validity of your plates)
Everything went smootly. There was actually a second US spec SL550 being picked up at the same time we were getting ours.
There wasn't any confusion as theirs was black and ours is Silver ;-

All in all a very smooth and pleasant experience. Let me know if you'd like to know anything else.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q7, ML350
Originally Posted by BillyD
We flew into Germany on Sunday, landing at the Frankfurt Airport. From the airport, we took the ICE train to Stuttgart. The train trip takes a little over an hour and leaves directly from Frankfurt Airport.
From the Stuttgard Main Train Station, we walked about 500 yards to the Steigenberger Hotel.
Monday morning, we had breakfast at 8:00 and arrived at the MB Customer Center in Singlefingen a little after 9:00 a.m. (about a 20 minute cab ride from the hotel). The EPD program includes: the Hotel, Breakfast, 2 taxi transfers, and lunch/brunch at the Customer Center.
We were offered a Museum tour, but declined since we had a late afternoon appointment in Zurich.
We visited the on-premises MB shop where my wife bought a hat and I bought wheel locks, which they immediately installed at no charge.
The delivery paperwork, the temporary export license plates, and basic vehicle orientation took about 2 hours.
The EPD package includes full insurance and "export registration" for 14 days. This can be extended at your own cost. Their was a charge for road tax (€ 97.00 for our stay - the charge is dependent on the validity of your plates)
Everything went smootly. There was actually a second US spec SL550 being picked up at the same time we were getting ours.
There wasn't any confusion as theirs was black and ours is Silver ;-

All in all a very smooth and pleasant experience. Let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Billy D,

Great to read the above, excuse my ignorance, but are you able collects your new Mercedes from Stuggart and drive around Europe for up to two weeks and then ask them to deliver it to your country of residence as part of the price?

My SL500 is due in four months time, and I would really like to enjoy this car in Europe before bringing it back to the Middle East.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Yes, the European Delivery Program (EDP) includes 14 days of free insurance and vehicle transportation back to the selling USA dealer.
I really don't know how it applies to other countries. What I described here is available to US residents buying through a USA MB dealer. I suggest you ask your dealer if a similar program exists in your home country.
We're really enjoying our SL550 here is Europe. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.
All the best!