SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2013 SL550 - Good Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
2013 SL550 - Good Daily Driver?

I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2013 SL550 to use as my daily driver and am looking for any suggestions, thoughts and advice from members of this forum who know these vehicles better than I do.

Me: I live in NJ and drive into Manhattan on a daily basis M-F, (approx. 50 miles round trip), and park in a protected parking garage. I have a 2007 ML63 AMG that my wife and I use on weekends and for our vacation road trips. It has served wonderfully in that capacity. For my daily driver, I want a dependable, fun, luxurious and quick (wink!) vehicle. I do not need 4 doors. I will lease this vehicle for 3 years and may possibly decided at the end of the lease to purchase it, but will not decide that until that time.
I already have a convertible (1961 M-B 190SL), so I envision that the SL550's top will be in the up/closed position for 90% of my driving, and enjoying top-down driving on the nice, low-humidity days.

I visited my local MB Dealer last weekend and test drove a new 2013 SL550. He has that vehicle as well as a 2013 SL63 AMG. I was originally planning on driving both, but after driving the SL550, decided not to even bother with the AMG. This coming from a guy who had a '04 E55 AMG and still drives an '07 ML63 AMG. The new SL550 is very, very fast with 0-60 in approx. 4.6 secs., which is a tad bit faster than the previous SL63 AMG. As a result, it is very hard to justify or rationalize spending an additional $30,000 - $40,000 for the SL63 AMG.

Based on this test drive I have done a preliminary review for an order that would be for the following SL550:
- Iridium Silver Metallic exterior
- red/black premium leather & black ash wood trim interior
- Premium 1 Package
- Sport Wheel Package
- Dash top analog clock
- Magic Sky Control
- Soft close doors
- M-B illuminated door sills

I would also purchase from the MB Dealer at the time of delivery these:
- M-B wheel and tire hazard protection insurance
- M-B Star Service Prepaid Maintenance

Here are some of my observations and questions:

1. Tires: This vehicle comes with summer performance run-flat tires. I will have to purchase a set of 4 dedicated snow tires to put on the vehicle from Dec. thru March, (i.e. Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II). So that is an added cost and PITA, but necessary with our average winter weather of snow and ice on the roads. What is anyone's experience with run-flat tires on the recent SL's?

2. Steering: The steering of the new SL was initially surprising to me, providing absolutely no road feed back. It really is a "drive-by-wire" system that MB is using and while very responsive, takes a bit getting used to. Does anyone find this aspect very disconcerting or have you just accepted it as the new reality of steering systems?

3. Trunk: The trunk space is relatively small and unlike my 190SL, there is no shelf behind the front bucket seats to put anything. I discovered that the movable shade/shelf in the SL550's trunk is removable. So during the winter months I can take it out and store it, giving me a bit more room in the trunk for grocery shopping, etc.

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

AVB-AMG

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 08-04-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Another MBWorld Forum member asked me why I did not bother test driving the new SL63 AMG....

In hindsight I probably should have in order to make a true side-by-side comparison of how they drive. At the time, I decided not to primarily because I enjoyed the SL550 so much that I did not have a strong interest in driving the AMG version. The main motivator for that is the significant price difference between the SL550 and the SL63 AMG, of between $35,000 - $50,000, depending on how you spec. the vehicle with options. Now I am the type of guy who can rationalize just about anything when it comes to nice cars, but even that price delta is just too much of a hurdle to rationalize and justify, (especially to my wife....).
Aesthetically, here are some of my observations of the Pros and Cons of the new '03 SL63 vs. the SL550:

Pros:
- The seats are upholstered in the always lush and soft Nappa leather that AMG uses. It is a step up in quality from the very nice leather seats in the SL550.
- The black carbon fiber trim on the interior looks great, especially contrasting against the red leather of the seats.
- I understand that AMG has tweaked the suspension enough to really improve the road "feel" in the steering, eliminating the sort of floating / navigating feel I initially experienced in the SL550.
_ I have always preferred the twin exhausts found on most AMG's over the past decade and like the rectangular look in this version.

Cons:
- The black carbon fiber (or body paint color) spoiler on the rear trunk lid is a separate element that really looks like it was an after-market application. For the price of the vehicle I think that M-B should create a unique mold for the plastic rear deck lid that incorporate the silhouette of the spoiler into one piece integral with the rear deck.
- I prefer the wheel selection on the SL550, (purely subjective....)
- The V* Biturbo badging on the side panels between the chromed vent accents behind the front wheel wells seems unnecessary and fussy. I like the cleaner look without them, as in the original 300SL Gullwing and Roadster.

So those are my reasons...

AVB-AMG

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 08-07-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
I've been considering these two cars as well and I concluded the 550 was enough power but I also preferred its less edgy look. Before purchasing I will drive the amg though....just in case!