SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 in the Smokies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
SL550 in the Smokies

I just got back from a week visiting my daughter's family in Asheville. Though it was great spending time with the kids, the highlight of the trip were the back roads. Now, don't for a minute think that the Dragon is the only game in town. There are great roads all over up there.

For example, one of my favorite drives is the Pisgah Mountain Highway, SR 151 southwest of Asheville. It joins into the Blue Ridge Highway, which I took for a short time and got off at US 276. There was repaving and grooving going on for a few miles on 276 but that was the only bad part.

No mistakes are allowed the Pisgah Mountain Highway. This is a real mountain road. The speed limit was more than you could comfortably drive. It was either 35 or 45 mph. I think it was 35.

The road was like a very fast autocross but for real. Big drops if two tires go off the road. I saw only two other vehicles there. I used up lots of rubber going both up and then down the mountain. I was constantly going from the gas to the brake. I used manual gear changes and stayed in second and third, with an occasional down shift to first.

Don't let anyone B. S. you. This car handles quite well in these conditions. Plenty of warning as the car brakes loose. This is unlike my Z06 which was normally very tail happy, but would plow its way around an autocross.

Last edited by Daytona-flyer; 08-08-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: SR 276 corrected to US 276
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Perhaps this sounded too much like a travelogue. 100 views as of this morning but no comments?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:34 PM

sls, e63
sl in smokies

entertaining comments on both car and driving opportunites around ashville. completely concur with you about the heretofore anemic interaction on this particular site. surely enough 2013 sl's out there for some feedback/comments.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM

AMG SLS & S coupe
My next trip up there will be after the trees are bare. Too much traffic during the Fall colors.

The locals call those who come to see the changing foliage "Leafers" and they do create lots of traffic. Besides, with the trees bare, I'll have a better view around the curves on the mountain roads.

This will also give me an opportunity to check out the airscarf neck warmer.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the write up. Any pictures of your car by any chance? pictures in that scenery?? :-)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by GMW
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the write up. Any pictures of your car by any chance? pictures in that scenery?? :-)
I did stop to take a few photos but in my excitement, I couldn't find my camera.

I thought I left it at my daughters but it was in the console compartment the entire time.

The only photos I took on the trip were of houses we were looking at.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Heading back up to the Smokies in a few weeks. I was hoping to avoid the "Leafers" as the traffic can be bad during the fall foliage season.

I gotta get her into a new house and she just doesn't seem to have the motivation to go house hunting. My new grandson needs his own room. They are in a two bedroom house and there is no room for all the stuff.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
I heading back to the smokies. This time I'll take some photos. Hopefully there will be plenty of fall colors. I'll post them from up there using my iPad.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Cayenne S - BMW 525 (2011) - Mercedes A Class - SL 350 (2013)
Great. Can't wait to see those photos.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
New photos from around the Blue Ridge Parkway

After house hunting in Asheville, my grandson Samuel and I headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway. By chance the North Carolina Arboretum was right at the on ramp to the BRP so we stopped to check it out.

We later checked out a scenic overlook on the Pkwy.

The last photo was the road mentioned at the start of the thread, The Pisgah Mountain Highway. As you can the 35 mph speed limit allows for plenty of fun. It's one switchback after another. The road goes back and forth like this for about ten miles. (that's a guess).

I really gave the transmission a workout going downhill.
Attached Thumbnails SL550 in the Smokies-img_0317.jpg   SL550 in the Smokies-img_0319.jpg   SL550 in the Smokies-img_0321.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Talking

I live about 5 miles from US 151 near Candler, NC and it is a great road that really does feel like an autocross when you really push it.......

You have to watch for motorcyclists that try to max out on the curves and drift over the center line......there is no room for error as the OP has intimated because there is only a cliff on one side and mountain rock on the other.....

There are many 90 degree plus turns........you do have to focus when you pick up the speed.........

Porsche Club guys favor the road for showing off and with the superior handling of that marque, it can be quite an adrenaline laced drive....

I usually leave my SL 65 or 911 in second gear for the whole trip and try not to smoke my brakes, which is an easy thing to do on this road....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Oh yes...did the Pisgah Mountain and Asheville Dr. slap nuts driving and curves. Fun times.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
I like it so much in the smokies, I just bought a summer home there, west of Asheville. I can't wait to get back up there to search for more great roads.

I'm letting my daughter and her family live there. There are four bedrooms so there is plenty of room.