SL/R231: Things To Expect On Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'24 CLE 53
Things To Expect On Delivery

Wanted to ask what you guys experienced on delivery with the finance manager.
They have a wheel and tire insurance policy offered? If so, remember the price/terms?

Thoughts on prepaid maintenance? I'm a fairly low mileage driver and don't want to pre-pay for maintenance they end up not supporting because I get it done early. An example would be an oil change at 4K miles at the end of a year.
Last four cars were BMWs so I'm used to it but now that it's an option I would like to get your thoughts on it.

Figure they have the paint protection etc, but no interest in that. Also will use my own clear bra installer vs the dealer's.

By the way, haven't seen too many pics of cars with the front license plate mounted. Thinking of blowing it off even though it's a VA requirement. Anyone using a non-standard mount that avoids drilling the bumper?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I paid $1295 for the factory wheel and tire package for 36 months. My last car was a BMW 335i, and I went through two cracked wheels (tire wouldn't hold air) and two or tires due to early failure - nails, etc. Potholes accounted for the cracked wheels although I never remembered anything unusual. If I would've had a tire and wheel package when I bought the BMW I would've saved a fair amount of money, much less all of the time and trouble of finding a new set of wheels. The Mercedes-Benz package is much better than what the BMW dealer was offering at the time because it's less expensive and it's a factory backed package rather than a third-party product.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM

'24 CLE 53
Thanks John,
BMW is now a factory sponsored plan too. I have had a tire replaced the last three times I bought it. Not as "useful" as you, but a cracked wheel is a break even proposition. By the way, when it was a 3rd party plan BMW still handled the claim. Painless as the factory plan.
Think I paid more for the coverage on my M3 though for some reason I opted for 5 years of coverage. Came across the paperwork yesterday as I have a buyer for the car.
Appreciate the post.

Matt
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB SL550
I did the tire and wheel package for 3 years ($1,269.). Have had it on my last 3 cars and have always gotten my money's worth or at a minimum, broken even.

All depends where you live.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,329 Likes on 2,058 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I did the prepaid maintenance because it has heavily discounted (think 55%) but had no interest in the tire/wheel deal as I didn't like the run flats or the wheel design and am changing them out.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
wheel + tire: yes. $1,500 for three years, unused balance refunded/applied to the next car when i trade in my current car. i usually trade every year for a new car so i passed on everything else that the f/i manager offered.

prepaid maintenance: no. again, it would not benefit me per the above. keep in mind however, that if you trade the car in prior to using the entire prepaid amount, you will be refunded a prorata amount based on elpased time and not per number of appointments remaining.

front plate: yes. i hate it. it looks awful and completely ruins the look of the car. however, i live in bankrupt illinois and the state looks for every reason to earn money. for example, every night at o'hare field, police check every car parked overnight to ensure they are in compliance with plates and registrations and to ensure there are no outstanding tickets and whatnot. so i wear the plate and hate looking at it every time i approach the car. thank god most of my time is viewed from behind the wheel! i had the benzo dealer install the plate the normal way of drilling into the bumper. the car is black and you cannot really see the holes should the next buyer remove the plate ,,, but that is his problem not mine.

hope this helps with your inquiries. good luck ,,, this sl is the best car i've ever owned! you will love it!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
I got the tire+wheel package like everyone else ($1295). I also did the prepaid maintenance but afterward sort of regretted it since I have a 3-year lease and could likely skip the last/expensive service just before turning the car in. Oh well, not a big deal.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I did the same thing with the prepaid maintenance - there are only two services - after the first year and after the second. But the cost of the maintenance went to the total cost of the car which is residualized (proportioned to the amount you use in lease miles) so we are really only paying for a part of it in that sense...whereas if you pay a la cart you pay for it all period. At least this is my understanding.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM

'24 CLE 53
I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

Matt