SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Is this right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Is this right?

As some of you know....purchased a 2013 SL550 a few weeks ago and I dont know why I never noticed this before but when washing the car for the first time I saw a very noticeable difference in color...let me explain.

I paid extra for the white...which is more like a pearlized white/beige. On the rear of the car and under the lights one has the undercarriage(fiberglass or whatever its now made of) or rear fender, I dont quite know how to describe this piece and you can clearly see that the matching to the rest of the car, which is white, is more like two shades darker, that I can only describe as a milky beige and in the front its the same but not as noticeable..

Not a complete turnoff but its there and just wondered if anyone else here has the white color and has the same?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
it should be the same color. there are no "two-tone" options on this car. i assume you have the $795 option "diamond white," which does indeed have that pearlized effect you refer to in your message. two possible reasons for what you are seeing: 1) illusion due to shadowing or angle of view given its unique color or 2) it has been repainted. these pearlized effect colors are notoriously impossible to match perfectly to the original paint on the other body parts once they have been repainted. not just on benzo cars but on all vehicles with this up-charged paint color. has you car been repainted?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
I have the Diamond White also and have washed it a few times but can't say I recall seeing any noticeable color differences on the plastic parts. I'll take a closer look outside if the sun ever comes out, lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
No it's never been repainted well, to my knowledge it hasn't.....it's new!!!

Don't look in the sun, look in artificial light such as your garage, mine is definitely an off color that does not match. Spoke to a Salesman who states he has quite a few that have complained but as the material is different they cannot match it exactly, but I can mention it to MB and they will paint it, but he does not advise this!! Normally wouldn't complain but it's definitely noticeable.

And whilst we are on the subject of this thread...Is this right.....looked in the trunk and noticed no spare wheel, but there is a section under a partition that has a plastic 2 part container for what appears to be the tire kit, which is empty. my question is did any of you have your kit included?

Getting close to 1000 miles and will give a report later, but so far.......what a car!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by branmin
No it's never been repainted well, to my knowledge it hasn't.....it's new!!!

Don't look in the sun, look in artificial light such as your garage, mine is definitely an off color that does not match. Spoke to a Salesman who states he has quite a few that have complained but as the material is different they cannot match it exactly, but I can mention it to MB and they will paint it, but he does not advise this!! Normally wouldn't complain but it's definitely noticeable.

And whilst we are on the subject of this thread...Is this right.....looked in the trunk and noticed no spare wheel, but there is a section under a partition that has a plastic 2 part container for what appears to be the tire kit, which is empty. my question is did any of you have your kit included?

Getting close to 1000 miles and will give a report later, but so far.......what a car!!!!
You have run flats right? Suspect the cut-out might be for SL63 and 65 cars that don't and have the repair kit.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Yep, have the run flats.......so wondered as there was the compartment for the included repair kit.....if it was indeed included or taken before delivery...or left empty for me to purchase it separately?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Yep, have the run flats.......so wondered as there was the compartment for the included repair kit.....if it was indeed included or taken before delivery...or left empty for me to purchase it separately?
I'm not sure as I don't get my car until Friday afternoon (long wait is almost over) but if these run flats are like others you don't do anything to them aside from limit your speed until you can get it fixed/replaced. On cars like M series BMWs that have regular tires and no spare, you get that combo air pump and sealant kit. Sucks compared to a spare, but saves weight and space, etc.

Wouldn't bet my life on it, but I bet something like that kit fits into that space if 1) you have an SL 63/65 with regular tires OR 2) you dump your run flats for regular rubber. I'm sure you could buy it from the dealer, but you wouldn't use it on run flats.

Edit: Be absolutely sure you aren't doing damage before you put that goo in your RF tire. The number one caution is that the stuff can easily screw up your tire pressure monitor in the wheel.

Last edited by BigHat; 04-25-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL63
Car comes with run-flats and no inflation accessories.

In my opinion, the fun-flats run harsh and rough. Too bad, because they ruin what would otherwise be a very comfortable ride!

I have experimented with lowering the air pressure. This works to soften the ride but I am worried that the tires will overheat. So I set them back at the factory spec.....and they ride harsh.

My benchmark for ride comparison is my 2011 SL. That car had a much more comfortable ride quality.

Oh well.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
No need to purchase the repair kit for run flats. These cars are made for different market with different wheels, so they make space for that.

Useful things missing in the US: warning triangle and fire extinguisher (option in Germany)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigHat
You have run flats right? Suspect the cut-out might be for SL63 and 65 cars that don't and have the repair kit.
Interestingly enough, as I read they also don't have a tire kit even with non-run flats...
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by red308
Car comes with run-flats and no inflation accessories.

In my opinion, the fun-flats run harsh and rough. Too bad, because they ruin what would otherwise be a very comfortable ride!

I have experimented with lowering the air pressure. This works to soften the ride but I am worried that the tires will overheat. So I set them back at the factory spec.....and they ride harsh.

My benchmark for ride comparison is my 2011 SL. That car had a much more comfortable ride quality.

Oh well.
I got a different set of wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports; world of difference... I would dump the run flats - poor road feel, very expensive and hard to get if the tire blows during a road trip (nobody has these in stock)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL63
Ya, I agree I should dump the run-flats.

Did you buy some type of inflator device now that you are running regular non run-flats?

If not, what do you plan to do if you have a flat?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I bought the the Conti tire fix kit from Tirerack.com. Built-in pump.
I will not have tires repaired but for those that do, the stuff can be washed out for a repair, which is nice...
Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM

2013 SL550
Diamond white paint

I also have a 2013 diamond white SL550 which I took delivery in December.
I have exactly the same problem, in the sun it looks perfect, however in the garage there is a distint difference between the drivers door and the rear fender......also some differences in the trim around the top and windshield.
I thought that perhaps certain parts were painted separately but now that you have brought it up I am going to have my dealer check it out. Otherwise I love the car!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jchamblee
I also have a 2013 diamond white SL550 which I took delivery in December.
I have exactly the same problem, in the sun it looks perfect, however in the garage there is a distint difference between the drivers door and the rear fender......also some differences in the trim around the top and windshield.
I thought that perhaps certain parts were painted separately but now that you have brought it up I am going to have my dealer check it out. Otherwise I love the car!

yep, there is something not right here.....I payed nearly $800.00 for white and my previous SL, there was no upcharge and if one wanted white you have to pay extra regardless, so to have a pearlized white is OK but to have a two tone pearlized white is not.............Normally would not complain but the match from the rest of the car to the fender is bad and you are correct..in sunlight you do not notice this at all. I wonder what really can be done...........
Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
I've been looking at mine in the garage and really can't see anything obvious like you guys are describing. I have fluorescent lighting but also high gloss floor tiles in shades of gray reflecting up so I'm just not sure. It just isn't obvious. My buddy owns a body shop, I'll stop by some time and see what he thinks when it's inside his prep room.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I got a different set of wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports; world of difference... I would dump the run flats - poor road feel, very expensive and hard to get if the tire blows during a road trip (nobody has these in stock)
Did the same as you Wolfman on my 09 but after about 18 months felt every bump so went with a cheaper tire which were excellent for about another 15 months and we have an expensive car and was told to expect this regardless what tire you put on. Have to say though, these continentals aren't bad, in fact it's a really smooth ride so far, unless you go over something, but know that one just has to get used to spending money every 18 months or so, unless you drive like a wimp. What does bother me though is having a run flat and being stranded miles away and the palava that follows.
Suppose there are worse things in life to worry about
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Hi, I just took delivery of a new SL63 AMG in Diamond white. The body looks
white or very bright silver, but the bumpers look cream. I was wondering
whether to make a complaint, but a friend who owns a paint shop says it is
a very difficult paint to apply because it has pearl in it. He also said when
light hits the car because the surface of the body is different to the plastic
bumpers you will get this affect. I must say I don't like it for a car costing 122 grand .
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sound 8
Hi, I just took delivery of a new SL63 AMG in Diamond white. The body looks
white or very bright silver, but the bumpers look cream. I was wondering
whether to make a complaint, but a friend who owns a paint shop says it is
a very difficult paint to apply because it has pearl in it. He also said when
light hits the car because the surface of the body is different to the plastic
bumpers you will get this affect. I must say I don't like it for a car costing 122 grand .
AGREED.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM

I dont think though that the overall price has anything to do with it but the fact that my 09, there was no extra charge for having white and I actually miss this true white color against the $800.00 pealized finish. So having had to fork out extra when it doesn't even match properly regardless of the difficulties in having a different material in the bumper should be of no concern to us and they should have got this right in the first place.........

Are there grounds to complain to someone else besides your dealer? In other words, anyone have a number or contact at H.O.?