SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Report on My SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Report on My SL550

So its now been just over 3 months since purchasing my 2013 after having had my 2009 for 5 years.........

3200 miles without too many problems. Not sure if I was meant to take the car in after 2000 miles to have the tires rotated or not, seem to recall something in the maintenance book about that though?

Cannot truly understand the Eco system, it has a mind of it's own and can actually live without it.

Do not like the new wiper system whereby it distributes a certain amount of water supposedly meant to not splash all over the place. Bit gimmicky (IMO) and actually makes it worse when the windscreen is really dirty, as I dont think enough water is distributed as in my last SL. Also it makes quite a noise which I dont remember previously.

When I had the car for the first 1000 miles or so and possibly because I took it fairly easy, felt the ride was real smooth but that was just wishful thinking as boy, when you go over a bump or bad surface, you can feel everything and she is certainly not smooth, so I don't like these tires at all, but due to us having realistically, to change them every 15000 miles or so, just really unsure if by changing them now will make a real difference....I don't race her, just want a smooth ride, so open to suggestions here......changed three times on my last SL and had the Pilot sports and also for the last 15 months or so, the Evo V12 Hancocks which were excellent and a fraction of the price to anything else I had before........but as mentioned, I believe you have to change the tires at least every 2 years and no matter what you have, she won't remain smooth indefinately......anyone who begs to differ..I am all ears

Can't really tell much difference from Comfort to Sport, especially on long journeys.

Averaging about 21.9 MPG and that mostly includes quite a bit of in town driving and about 350 miles of motorway(highway) driving. And sometimes can get about 25 MPG on a good run into town(including lights) but if the eco doesnt work and you are stuck at lights, this figure will come down about 3-4MPG....but overall pleased with what I am getting. However, my last car had a much bigger tank and when very low, could definately get 20 gallons into her, but the 2013 just about manages 18 gallons and 400 miles for a full tank would be about right but it's under that as I dont quite know what her reserve is and although the book says 2 gallons, I am wary of that figure......

Mechanically, far superior to the 2009..all the bells and whistles and yet my wife misses the shape and finds this model boxier and actually less sporty looking..I know what she means as the back is certainly bulkier but it actually has a larger trunk....so plus and minus's

Speed, acceleration, torque, comfort...fantastic, but as I am an old fart now, not inclined anymore to see what she can actually do as I used to, even with a good radar detector................. Did push her out to about 130 and couldnt believe how quick it got there from doing 75

Still annoyed about having paid nearly a grand more for the white color and the fenders don't match or rather in a certain light,(actually most kind of light) they look totally off!! Did mention this before on this board, naturally my dealers can't or won't hear what I am saying, but feel sure if I had the right person and their email address to make this complaint to, I might receive a reply.....anyone here have this info?

Love the way, the dynamic settings support your sides when you go over something or take a bend....I have my setting different to the passenger's and it works well.

Still can't get used to the car swerving back into the middle of the road when I get to near to the white markers on the right..we actually have narrow roads in certain parts, so yes... I'm awake(most of the time)

Few other things I wanted to mention, but escapes me for now, but overall, love the car and hope she continues to be a joy..............oh, did have a metal part covering the outside of a side window virtually come off, but I actually glued it back on(surprised it has stayed back on) and also have a rattle on the drivers door area, but not sure where.................but since I am not overly fond of MB service departments, will wait until she needs to be serviced.........

Happy 4th to all........and to the poster whose engine died due to excess water, sorry to hear this, what a nightmare and hope you get a new car......
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Still annoyed about having paid nearly a grand more for the white color and the fenders don't match or rather in a certain light,(actually most kind of light) they look totally off!! Did mention this before on this board, naturally my dealers can't or won't hear what I am saying, but feel sure if I had the right person and their email address to make this complaint to, I might receive a reply.....anyone here have this info?
Are the fenders plastic on the SL? I ask because the rest of the body is aluminum and the two don't go well together when it comes to paint quality. You should see Jaguars if you think Mercedes has a problem with this.

M
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You may want to have your wipers checked. Ours worked perfectly and silent; it was just weird because I was waiting for water and it was already cleaning!

That said, I typically run it a second time, but it cleans better than the old way...

Re. The suspension, I am surprised that MB went to make ABC a $4k option rather than a basic feature. the spring suspension is truly inferior and really a bit substandard IMO. Like you said it is a bit too stiff in comfort and sport adds little value.
Just makes it stiffer instead of really controlling the pitch/roll. There is also no height adjustment as before which is great for steep driveways or when driving fast. That's why we getting our new SL with ABC.

The old one was totaled btw. Glad the insurance pulled through on this...