SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Any Brake Pad options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL550 and 1973 Pantera L
Rotor Availability.. but no pads yet.

I just ordered a set of rotors from Disc-Italia thru Brakeworld.com. They took my VIN, confirmed the brake set that I have with MBUSA, and then had the rotors sent to their warehouse where they measured them before shipping to me (California). I pulled one of my front rotors, and measured it as well. Fortunately for me, the Disc-Italia rotors are exactly the same dimension as my cross drilled, wavy, badly ridged, wavy 7800 mile wavy incredibly dusty (did I mention that they're wavy?) OEM rotors (okay, so it's the pads that are "dusty").

On discussing this "pads and rotors" issue with the John the salesman (866-272-5396, Greenville, SC), he was aware of the scarcity of aftermarket brake parts, and was not aware of any "correct" pad availability. There are some vendors that are selling 2013 SL550 rotors and pads, but they're for the R230 chassis... no matter what they say.

I don't have the rotors yet (next Wednesday if FedEx does their job), and up until I read the note on Porterfield, I was planning on having them reline my pads.

But that's a non-starter now... so I shall continue looking for decent pads, and drive my ridged, wavy dusty wavy front OEM rotors and dusty pads.

Chris

And that's my story.....
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Received pads (front and rear) from MB dealer.

The front pad has a bevel on the top (instead on both sides like traditional), so we need to verify how the pad would match with the rotor after the pad is worn down, and figure out the purpose of such bevel.

Still waiting for "California John" to respond to our request for a schedule to bring his car to our shop.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Need someone in LA or Orange County owns SL550 w/sport package to help with measurement on brake rotors and brake pads check.

Thank you.

p.s. California John just told me that he can't move his car to our shop.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Need someone in LA or Orange County owns SL550 w/sport package to help with measurement on brake rotors and brake pads check.

Thank you.

p.s. California John just told me that he can't move his car to our shop.
Somebody, anybody, please go let them measure. The dust isn't going away with the OEM pads.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL550 and 1973 Pantera L
Rotors and Pads... Continued

Guys:

I'm in northern CA, and working with the SoCal RB guys via phone, and email. I just received my new Disc-Italia rotors, and will be measuring them, plus pulling one front brake assembly for the RB guys, to measure, photograph, etc.

We may not be fast, but it shall be done!

... besides, I need new pads for my new rotors...

Chris Difani
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by csdifani
Guys:

I'm in northern CA, and working with the SoCal RB guys via phone, and email. I just received my new Disc-Italia rotors, and will be measuring them, plus pulling one front brake assembly for the RB guys, to measure, photograph, etc.

Chris Difani
Great. Thanks my rims will appreciate you.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by csdifani
Guys:

Chris Difani
Thanks to Chris for his help. Here is the front pad which we are trying to figure out how the top bevel (Chamfer) part line up with the brake rotor.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Anyone owns SL550 live in SoCal that can help with this project???
Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
It might help with this project if you said what it is you mean exactly when you say "can help with this project." I had no idea when I saw it originally that it meant that you want someone to bring their SL550 to your shop (you don't say where it is) and that you would need 4-5 hours with it. More information would help.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Can you take a look and see how the pad is aligned with the rotor. (#1 or #2)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Can you take a look and see how the pad is aligned with the rotor. (#1 or #2)
Did you ever get an answer? If not, let me know and I'll remove a wheel and look.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM

2013 SL63
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
Did you ever get an answer? If not, let me know and I'll remove a wheel and look.

Yes its the one on the left.

Randy
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by RMAZ
Yes its the one on the left.

Randy
Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Upon close examination, I have found out that there is a very similar brake pad to the OE that I think will work with the following deviation:

1. This pad (the top one of pictures) will have no wear sensor connection.

2. This pad has no bevel on top therefore it will line up nicely on the top of rotor but the lining will be about 13mm short at the bottom as compared to OE with 10-12mm untouched on top of rotor due to the bevel.

Advantage:

1. This alternate pad may line up better with the OE caliper piston based on the piston impression with the OE pads (towards top, see last picture.

2. It's for a popular motorsports applications (Sti/EVO comes with Brembo calipers), a lot of choice available and is much cheaper (less than 1/2) of dealer costs for the OE pads.

3. We have low dust excellent street pads (ET500) in stock.
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Pad...1001-35-01.htm

This picture was contributed by Randy showing the piston impression on OE pads:

Any member who can't wait and is eager to try fit/dusting/performance improvement etc can PM me for a special offer but he/she must agree to post the result here ASAP but no later than one week upon receipt of order.

Final fitment and performance improvement is still under our complete satisfaction or money back guarantee.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM

sl550
In the less than a month that I have now had my SL550 with AMG package it is obvious that the brake dust with the OEM pads is going to drive me crazy. Are there any alternatives that dust less and provide mostly squeak free stops?

I had Racing brake ET500 pads on my BMW and they fit the bill well on that, but they don't show any pads for the SL.

Thanks.
Try akebono eur ceramic pads. I have changed to akebono eur pads and zimmermann rotors on both of my porsche(boxster and cayenne) and they work just fine. The best thing is "NO MORE DUST" to clean, but I am just a everyday street driver, I don't track my cars. I have not put them on my sl550 yet, but will when I need to change my brake pads. Pls let me know if you decided to go with the akebono and how is it feel on the sl550?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM

2013 SL63
Originally Posted by peterwu1234
Try akebono eur ceramic pads. I have changed to akebono eur pads and zimmermann rotors on both of my porsche(boxster and cayenne) and they work just fine. The best thing is "NO MORE DUST" to clean, but I am just a everyday street driver, I don't track my cars. I have not put them on my sl550 yet, but will when I need to change my brake pads. Pls let me know if you decided to go with the akebono and how is it feel on the sl550?

Akebono does not make a r231 SL application yet. No aftermarket company has released a pad yet for thr r231. Some say they have it but they are for the 2012 not 2013 -up models.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Any progress on the Racing Brake pads?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM

2013 SL63
Any progress on the Racing Brake pads?
Not sure where RB is at on this. I had contacted a Benz dealer near them to get a loaner car for testing but I do not know if it came through. I will email them now and see whats up.

Randy
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Temporary quick fix is to use D1001 as suggested in previous reply*. OE shape pads although being tooled but they will not be available at least in 6-8 weeks leadtime.

As to the BBK development I have tried to contact the MB dealer (referred by Randy) to loan an SL550 for measurement but no luck so far.

There got be someone in SoCal who own an SL550 that can spare his car in helping the community.......

*By the way Chris tried the alternative pad, but found out his car is a non-sports model so it wouldn't fit.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Temporary quick fix is to use D1001 as suggested in previous reply*. OE shape pads although being tooled but they will not be available at least in 6-8 weeks leadtime.

As to the BBK development I have tried to contact the MB dealer (referred by Randy) to loan an SL550 for measurement but no luck so far.

There got be someone in SoCal who own an SL550 that can spare his car in helping the community.......

*By the way Chris tried the alternative pad, but found out his car is a non-sports model so it wouldn't fit.
Thank you for the update. In my case while the dust drives me nuts, I know that the lack of a sensor with a warning light on the dash would drive me nuts as well so I can't imagine going with such a solution. Hopefully, the OE pads will be ready in the 6-8 months you predict. When that is available I am a buyer.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM

2013 SL63
Thank you for the update. In my case while the dust drives me nuts, I know that the lack of a sensor with a warning light on the dash would drive me nuts as well so I can't imagine going with such a solution. Hopefully, the OE pads will be ready in the 6-8 months you predict. When that is available I am a buyer.

RB is making an oe replacement low dust pad in 6-8 WEEKS, not months. We are still trying to get a test fit car so if anyone here is in the LA / Orange county area contact Racing Brakes.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
I have been curious as to how the top bevel of the pad works against the rotor surface.

Would you mind taking a picture and post it here so I can see the wearing pattern.

Our pad will be made without the top bevel, but will come with wear sensor connector.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by RMAZ
RB is making an oe replacement low dust pad in 6-8 WEEKS, not months. We are still trying to get a test fit car so if anyone here is in the LA / Orange county area contact Racing Brakes.
Thanks I read weeks and for some reason wrote months.

I don't know if this helps, but here is a picture of my front rotor

and here is a picture of my rear rotor.

Last edited by Centexhokie; 11-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Are you sure this is the same set up we are talking about. From the pictures I have questions below:

1. It seems the rotor already has substantial wear on it.

2. Is this for front rotor, if so can you take a measurement of the pad swiping width so I can check against the OE pad I posted. As with what Randy confirmed - the pad top edge lines up with the rotor edge, therefore the top part of rotor should not be contacted, but it's not what your pictures show.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Are you sure this is the same set up we are talking about. From the pictures I have questions below:

1. It seems the rotor already has substantial wear on it.

2. Is this for front rotor, if so can you take a measurement of the pad swiping width so I can check against the OE pad I posted. As with what Randy confirmed - the pad top edge lines up with the rotor edge, therefore the top part of rotor should not be contacted, but it's not what your pictures show.
This is the 2013 SL550 with the optional sport wheel package which includes 19" wheels, sport brakes, and a sport steering wheel. The car has <4,000 miles on it and the rotors have marks, but no real wear to speak of.

The pads contact the rotor from top to bottom. The contact is right at 3". If you need a more precise measurement I will get calipers to measure it more precisely, but it is over the whole width of the rotor.

Last edited by Centexhokie; 11-06-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added Picture

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Any Brake Pad options