SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Racing Brake makes me happy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Racing Brake makes me happy

As I put in another thread, I was looking for a solution to the dust problem with the OEM brake pads. In the past I had a solution to BMW's OEM problems by using Racing Brake's ET500 Street Performance pads. In searching for a solution I found that no one was making an aftermarket pad. My independent mechanic who is very good on Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche's could not find one either.

So after some whining on the boards the nice folks at Racing Brake decided to take the challenge to make pads for what is at present a small market. I received the pads last Friday and had them put on this morning. After braking them in there is no squeal or groaning from the pads. They stop the car quickly and quietly. My mechanic said they were a perfect fit and was impressed with the accuracy of manufacture.

Thank you Racing Brake. I will post pictures of the difference in dusting versus the OEM pads. Based on the BMW with the same compound I expect wonderful results.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Here is the link to the original post during the development of these SL550 brake pads.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...d-options.html

Mike, we appreciated the opportunity you brought to us in making these pads available for this brand new model - SL550, based on your pleasant experience on our ET pads in your BWM.

Most sports oriented cars tend to produce good amount of black dust, or squeaking particularly for European cars like BMW and MB, from day one you picked up the new car or over the years of putting up with all these, we were always told by car dealership that these issues are trade-off or unavoidable.

This is where the challenge comes in to formulate and produce a compound that most street driving customers are seeking for.
  • Good Stopping Powder (w/o cold temperature effect)
  • Quiet (No Squeaking)
  • Low Dust

Unfortunately it's not easily available, especially from dealership as all they can do is to replace another set of the same pad.

RacingBrake took this challenge and released our ET500 compound which over the years has proven to meet all above three criteria and became the most popular name in various communities such as Acura, Subaru and EVO.

We do not make the whole line of brake pads like others but we do make most of the pads to go with our two piece rotors and brake kits to ensure the optimal performance and enhance your driving experience.

We understand Mercedes owners expect their cars are the best performing vehicles, so every brake components we offered are carefully engineered and built with our own tooling to ensure that they are the best brake components (in performance and durability) you can ever source no matter it's from dealership or other aftermarket suppliers.

Thank you.

Warren-RB
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
After a week on the car, the wheels show very little dust. Normally with my driving they would be black by now. I haven't had one squeak since I did the break-in procedure (a series of brakings to mate the pads to the rotors) a week ago. Excellent product. The only folks that shouldn't like these are folks making wheel cleaners.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL550, 2011 Buick Enclave
Cost of pads + install?

Sorry if I missed this on your thread, but what is the cost of the new break pads and cost to install? Thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by visionatsea
Sorry if I missed this on your thread, but what is the cost of the new break pads and cost to install? Thanks
The pads were $189 shipped for the front sport brake pads and $144 shipped for the rear sport brake pads or $333 for all of the pads for the car. I used an indy mechanic that specializes in German (Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, etc.) that charged me just under $200 to install. I would have done it myself as it is reasonably easy to install pads, but I wanted him to do it since the pads were a "new design" and he could have seen fit up issues that I didn't. The next time I will do it myself and save the $200 if there is a next time. Brake pads may last me through my time of owning the car.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:32 PM

'13 SL550
Thanks for sharing. This is good news. Wonder if the dealer would install them? Any rougher on rotors than the stock pads? Just curious.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by BigHat
Thanks for sharing. This is good news. Wonder if the dealer would install them? Any rougher on rotors than the stock pads? Just curious.
Maybe the racingbrake person on the forum can answer that. On my previous BMW I put their two piece rotors on along with the pads, but here I put them on with the OEM rotors. I am sure that my dealership would have installed them if I had chosen to use them, but all dealerships might not be as willing.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
You can check with local MB dealer if they will install aftermarket pads, if they don't any auto service shop can do that for you.

Our ET500 compound is the most popular pad for performance street driving, very easy and friendly to rotors.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
After a week on the car, the wheels show very little dust. Normally with my driving they would be black by now. I haven't had one squeak since I did the break-in procedure (a series of brakings to mate the pads to the rotors) a week ago. Excellent product. The only folks that shouldn't like these are folks making wheel cleaners.

Can you give us an update how the brake pad works for you so far. This thread is complaining about the squeaking on ML63, although not sure if it also generates lots of dust, while common understanding seems to either put up with squeaking or dust , but I hope your testimonial on RacingBrake's ET500 compound can change that.

This is the motivation for us to commit to tooling investment in making the pads for your SL550 knowing it's a relatively small market, and hope to continue making more applications for MB.

Thank you.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Rotors

Also like to know if anyone can comment on Rotor impact.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Can you give us an update how the brake pad works for you so far. This thread is complaining about the squeaking on ML63, although not sure if it also generates lots of dust, while common understanding seems to either put up with squeaking or dust , but I hope your testimonial on RacingBrake's ET500 compound can change that.

This is the motivation for us to commit to tooling investment in making the pads for your SL550 knowing it's a relatively small market, and hope to continue making more applications for MB.

Thank you.
I have no squeaking of the brakes. It did take me twice doing the break - in procedure as you recommend, but in the month since I did this, there has not been one squeak on the brakes. Not even one and the little bit of dust created over a week takes a spray with a hose rather than Sonax FE and scrubbing with the OEM pads.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM

'13 SL550
I have no squeaking of the brakes. It did take me twice doing the break - in procedure as you recommend, but in the month since I did this, there has not been one squeak on the brakes. Not even one and the little bit of dust created over a week takes a spray with a hose rather than Sonax FE and scrubbing with the OEM pads.
How involved is the break-in procedure?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
How involved is the break-in procedure?
Here it is copied from their website.

BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:
We recommend all brake pads are broken in with the rotor they will be used with, so a transfer of film is generated between the pad and rotor surface for optimal performance - whether you have new or used rotors.
PERFORMANCE STREET:
  1. Make 6 to 8 brakings from approx. 30-35 mph. Do not go below 25 mph.
  2. Make an additional 3 to 4 hard brakings from approx. 50-55 mph. Do not go below 40 mph.
  3. Allow 10-15 minutes for the brakes to cool off. Do not apply the parking brake during this cool down period.
With the right country road you can do this in short order.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 AM

'13 SL550
Thank you. I wasn't aware it was on their website or I wouldn't have bothered you.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Thank you. I wasn't aware it was on their website or I wouldn't have bothered you.
No bother at all. As I said I had to do this twice. Not sure why. I also had to do it twice on my BMW 335i. I thought the first time that I just did it wrong, but for some reason both times I had to do it twice then no squeaks.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by visionatsea
Also like to know if anyone can comment on Rotor impact.
Very easy and friendly to rotor (even soft rotors like OE)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Thanks for sharing, and we are glad that you get the result as you expected.

ET500 is our most popular "performance street" compounds (semi-metallic) that was carefully formulated to provide the following characteristics yet still under that squeaking threshold:
  • Good initial bite
  • Consistent brake torque
  • Excellent modulation
  • Good durability
  • Friendly to rotors
  • Very low dust
We do not have a complete coverage for all applications but do offer for most of our two piece rotors and brake kits. I hope more Mercedes owners can read this testimonial, so they can have this choice other than dealing with dealers for the repeated problems.

Say Yes to RB brake pads:
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old 03-19-2014, 03:12 PM

'13 SL550
No bother at all. As I said I had to do this twice. Not sure why. I also had to do it twice on my BMW 335i. I thought the first time that I just did it wrong, but for some reason both times I had to do it twice then no squeaks.
Again, appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. Have a set coming my way. Dealer was pretty cool about it and will pop them on when I do my annual service on or shortly after 26 April. Pads should be here a week or two prior to that.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Question for Racing Brake: My dealer is questioning the impact of your brake pads on OE rotors.

Could you describe what "friendly" to rotors means? For example, under identical driving, do you anticipate the OE rotors lasting as long with your brake pads compared to OE brake pads? Why?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Again, appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. Have a set coming my way. Dealer was pretty cool about it and will pop them on when I do my annual service on or shortly after 26 April. Pads should be here a week or two prior to that.
Great. I hope you like them as much as I do. I did a full correction on my paint last weekend and the wheels were just a rinse, hit with a speed brush and dry. If only the rest of the car would have been that easy.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM

'13 SL550
I got mine installed this morning. I waited until my A service was due. Hope to get up early and find a road in the DC burbs to conduct the break-in.

More to report after a bit of use.

Edit: I hit the road before much traffic and followed the break-in procedures. Then cleaned my wheels thoroughly. I didn't have a squeal problem before, but hope the brake dust is lessened. I'll be back to let you know.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-05-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Good to know you got RB pads installed. Keep us updated.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:39 PM

'13 SL550
Well I have to say I'm very impressed with these brake pads. No significant brake dust is wonderful.
Dealer installed them without issue and asked me to report back how I like them. He's going to get a rave review.

Like Centexhokie I had to do the break in process twice. After the first time I got some significant brake squeal at low speeds. Quite the chatter in my work parking garage. But twice is a charm and I can't make them squeal now.
Great product and glad they're on my car.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:13 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Glad you are happy with them as well. Enjoy the drive.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Well I have to say I'm very impressed with these brake pads. No significant brake dust is wonderful.
Dealer installed them without issue and asked me to report back how I like them. He's going to get a rave review.

Like Centexhokie I had to do the break in process twice. After the first time I got some significant brake squeal at low speeds. Quite the chatter in my work parking garage. But twice is a charm and I can't make them squeal now.
Great product and glad they're on my car.
Good feedback.

Tell your dealer where you get these brake pads from and mention your name so we can take care of them.

We certain like to ship a few more sets to other SL550 owners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Racing Brake makes me happy