SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: ABC Suspension or Not and Multispoke Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 Sport
ABC Suspension or Not and Multispoke Wheels?

I'm looking at the MSRP for a used 2013 SL550. How can I confirm if vehicle has springs or the ABC suspension. Accessory code listed is 485 Suspension with Adaptive Damping. Is this ABC?

Also, it list special order accessory code 11R 19" Multispoke Wheel. However, the photo sent to me looks like the usual 5 spoke wheel. Can anyone in the know look at this photo and tell me if this is really the MB special ordered Multispoke wheel on this vehicle. I am truly not knowledgeable about these things so I read and learn as much as I can from you guys here. I don't trust that the salesman (out of state) is 100% upfront when responding to my questions about both items. Thanks.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails ABC Suspension or Not and Multispoke Wheels?-fl-2013-feb-silver-ash.png  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
ABC would be option code 487. 485 is likely the standard suspension. IDK about the wheels.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
That's right. 487 is ABC and those are the AMG wheels that come with that package.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Robbenz
I'm looking at the MSRP for a used 2013 SL550. How can I confirm if vehicle has springs or the ABC suspension. Accessory code listed is 485 Suspension with Adaptive Damping. Is this ABC?

Also, it list special order accessory code 11R 19" Multispoke Wheel. However, the photo sent to me looks like the usual 5 spoke wheel. Can anyone in the know look at this photo and tell me if this is really the MB special ordered Multispoke wheel on this vehicle. I am truly not knowledgeable about these things so I read and learn as much as I can from you guys here. I don't trust that the salesman (out of state) is 100% upfront when responding to my questions about both items. Thanks.

Robin
These are the 19" AMG Sport Wheels, not the multispoke. I don't have my sheet along to look at the ABC, but if you have any photos of the middle console with the shift lever, there should be ABC buttons showing.

Button 1: Sport/Comfort
Button 2: Ride Height
Button 3: Show ABC on Screen
Button 4: ECO ON/OFF

Buttons 2 & 3 are blank if the car has springs.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM

C280 Sport
Thanks for responding. VERY helpful. As I suspected Salesman was telling me ALL the newer (2013s) had the ABC suspension, but I thought I had heard from you guys that was not so. Based on the MSRP 485 Code and photo of center console, this vehicle (which I love from the color/combo) does not have the ABC. Not sure if I must have the ABC suspension in the vehicle I purchase, but at least now I know for sure what I'm considering. Also, salesman was not truthful about the wheels. Someone pulled the Multispoke wheels from the vehicle and replaced with the AMG 5 spoke instead. Even with my very limited knowledge of these things after all the cars/photos I've looked at, I didn't think these where the same wheels listed on the MSRP, and I feel salesman knew this when I questioned it.

Robin
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Many salesmen, in my experience, many are boneheads when it comes to differences in the details of packages or specific options. Or there are so many details to keep track of for so many different models from each manufacturer with the options that change year after year, many sales people in my experience just can't keep up and tend to get foggy on details. In actuality for the ABC, very few come from the factory with that option.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM

C280 Sport
Well..the fact that he raved about owning/driving a 2013 SL, but then was leading me to believe the model had only one suspension system (ABC only) is the reason my trust factor kicked into high gear. That and I still think mistruth about the original wheels being the ones on the vehicle when clearly they were not, leads me to believe he wasn't too busy or unaware of these two items, which obviously had some importance to me. I just think I was being mislead. I HATE the car buying process! But where there is a will there is a way.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 PM

C280 Sport
And I also meant to add, that until now with so much discussion about the ABC suspension, especially in the 230 forum where I first starting perusing this site, I had no idea that the ABC was an uncommon option. So I'm glad to know differently.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
From what I understand before the new 2013 models, ABC was standard. But in 2013 with the new models it became an option. The wheels that are on the car certainly may have come originally on the car as the majority of 2013 models came with the sports wheel package which included the wheels that are shown on the car.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 PM

C280 Sport
Still can't give him a pass on this one. If you drive and also sell the exact same model/year, you're potentially selling to me, no way you don't know about the standard and optional ABC suspension systems. And the MSRP for this vehicle clearly shows the additional $500 upgrade/option expense for the Multispoke Wheel. That's why even with my untrained eye I couldn't help but question this maybe minor detail to some. Thanks CJ for responding as I've definitely learned more about the SL (old and new) in this exchange already.