SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Wiper Blades

Wondered if anyone with the maintenance package got new wiper blades at the 1 year service?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I hate to say it but I don't really know. I don't think so though.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
sub'd
Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 AM

'13 SL550
My driver side wiper really needs replacing now. I used to get a new set every year as part of the BMW included service for covered cars. Sound like the right interval as I'm 15 months into ownership of this car and have a portion of the windshield that isn't being wiped clear. Parts dept at my dealership doesn't stock wiper blades for the R231 cars but it will only take a couple of days (Monday) for them to arrive. They don't know if the service package covers them, but did say at least purchased blades are normally installed free of charge on other cars. We'll see. They cost about $155 a pr, but I knew they were expensive based on the complexity and early reviews on the unique design. The cost of nice things I guess.

Edit: They aren't covered items under the pre-paid maint. Chalk one up for BMW on this one.

Last edited by BigHat; 07-28-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 AM

'13 SL550
An FYI for my fellow owners. The blades install like most others. A screw driver helps depress the button in the middle of the mount and the blade slides right off. I had thought there might be a plumbing connection based on the wiper system but there isn't. It just takes a few seconds to re-prime the new blades with fluid.

With the hood and doors closed, start the car and wipers. Turn off the car to freeze the wipers in the vertical position. Watch out when removing the old blade that you don't lose your grip on the wiper arm and let it smack the windshield. Apparently, people have cracked their windshield by not being careful about that. Aside from those minor tips, it's very easy to do.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by BigHat
An FYI for my fellow owners. The blades install like most others. A screw driver helps depress the button in the middle of the mount and the blade slides right off. I had thought there might be a plumbing connection based on the wiper system but there isn't. It just takes a few seconds to re-prime the new blades with fluid.

With the hood and doors closed, start the car and wipers. Turn off the car to freeze the wipers in the vertical position. Watch out when removing the old blade that you don't lose your grip on the wiper arm and let it smack the windshield. Apparently, people have cracked their windshield by not being careful about that. Aside from those minor tips, it's very easy to do.
Thanks. I haven't had to replace them yet, but wasn't sure how the plumbing was done. I'm guessing based on what you wrote that it is in the arm since its not in the wiper.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM

'13 SL550
Yes, there must be a fitting inside the actual wiper blade that fits into the pressurized fluid flow from the mount. Like I said, you almost panic when first using the washer as nothing flows for about 4-5 secs and then all is back to normal.