SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: White Arrow Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
White Arrow Edition

Now that the White Arrow Edition SL550 has hit US dealer lots, just curious about opinions on this build from the forum members? This edition is said to be limited to 400 units, but will they hold any special appeal later on?

I like the exterior treatment, not sure about interior, but at least it is unique.

Last edited by golfster; 12-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by golfster
Now that the White Arrow Edition SL550 has hit US dealer lots, just curious about opinions on this build from the forum members? This edition is said to be limited to 400 units, but will they hold any special appeal later on?

I like the exterior treatment, not sure about interior, but at least it is unique.
1. The "official" numbers were about 400 units - something along the lines of one/dealer. But at least here in FL, several dealers got as many as three(3). I did get mine a month ago with hope that they will hold value better than other non-AMG R231 SLs (which do not), but now based on possibility that there could be much more than 400 units (unless dealers here are getting cars from the North and Mid West dealers), I'm not so sure anymore. Best part is that (again here in FL, mostly on the West side since dealers on the East side are basically sold out, with minor exception) you can get them now for as much as $8K off MSRP (I got mine for $7.5K off), minimum $6.5K off.

2. Now on design. I bought the car specifically because of the interior - its truly AMG like (especially the seats and the headliner - very reach feeling/looking). On exterior except for the (black) roof (and the matching wheels) its identical to non-AMG R231 (both SL550 and SL400). But with "upgraded" (of course) black wheels which are very much "in" these days (and matches the car's white/black theme), the car looks stunning - I get looks constantly (there are many, many exotics here).

3. IMHO the fact that ABC is not available in the configuration is the only disappointment to me. I would have given up Night Assist for ABC in a heart beat.

Bottom line is that (just as other R231 SL550s, but not SL400s IMHO), the car is a fantastic machine.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Thanks for the reply and feedback.

A few of the NorCal dealers had theirs available for several weeks or more while the remaining dealers just received their allocation within the past two weeks. Discounts on these are reasonably aggressive locally (around 9% in writing), which piqued my interest as I was actually looking at a more traditional SL550 at a local dealer and was considering an order when I saw this configuration parked nearby. These are reasonably equipped although I agree, I could do without Night Vision and might prefer Magic Sky and/or ABC.

Still at this point debating ordering a car or going with on lot inventory.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

9% (which is over $10K) off on a White Arrow Edition? Wow!!! When these cars first hit showrooms here a couple of months ago, it wasn't much less (if any) off the MSRP. With discount like that, retaining value is highly questionable, but I did not get it with that in mind. Still a great deal IMHO as "regular" SL550s and especially SL400s (which are coming in more and more) can be had at 10% off from the lot.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,061 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Love the black top look. Congrats!

Sorry to hear about the lack of ABC. Having had the the R231 with/without ABC I feel it's the most important option on the car.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Having had the the R231 with/without ABC I feel it's the most important option on the car.
Agree. While R231 is an excellent handling car (compared to other non-AMG MBs) IMHO its not quit as good without ABC as my former R230 with ABC was.
Of course ride in R231 with/without ABC is still much better than R230 with ABC was. Its just the long sweeps/bends are not quit the same. I can only imagine what R231 with ABC feels like.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Agree. While R231 is an excellent handling car (compared to other non-AMG MBs) IMHO its not quit as good without ABC as my former R230 with ABC was.
Of course ride in R231 with/without ABC is still much better than R230 with ABC was. Its just the long sweeps/bends are not quit the same. I can only imagine what R231 with ABC feels like.
Ride quality is fantastic also because ABC itself is greatly improved over the R230.
I have forged AMG wheels on the car and lowered it a bit via a Renntech V3 module. The wheels along with the non run flats (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) are day/night.

But as you pointed out, the new SL rides quite well even on springs. The lack of control is just unfortunate (raising the car and lowering at speed)
Old 12-27-2014, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
I am on the cusp of purchasing a White Arrow. Your posts are interesting. On one hand, they seem to suggest getting one. But, on the other hand, no one seems really excited, lol, am I missing something?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Z4, LaCrosse, Venza
The lack of being able to have the options you really want is a bit of a turn off. Plus that seems to be the only car the dealers have on the lot, which makes it a bit hard to believe that they are all that unique (only 400). Maybe it's just because of the overall low sales volume of the SL?

For me personally, I like the fact that the hardtop integrates so well in the look of the SL - it really looks like a sports coupe when closed. The black top ruins that look (appearance? Illusion?) quite a bit in my opinion. It looks more like a soft top.

I think Mercedes just wants to see whether people will accept that look for the SL replacement which supposedly will / may have a soft top.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CeEl
The lack of being able to have the options you really want is a bit of a turn off. Plus that seems to be the only car the dealers have on the lot, which makes it a bit hard to believe that they are all that unique (only 400). Maybe it's just because of the overall low sales volume of the SL? For me personally, I like the fact that the hardtop integrates so well in the look of the SL - it really looks like a sports coupe when closed. The black top ruins that look (appearance? Illusion?) quite a bit in my opinion. It looks more like a soft top. I think Mercedes just wants to see whether people will accept that look for the SL replacement which supposedly will / may have a soft top.
The look of the soft-top is what attracts me.
I agree with the lack of options though, especially because MB sells the car with other options you like in other countries. This is a US package only. Afaik they don't offer the silver version here and in Germany you can add ABC and other features.

Like edition 1 cars in the US, it is a take-all-as-is package. In Europe edition 1 and 2look packages are just selectable interior/exterior packages to be added to the car.

On the other hand, the U.S. pricing is much lower than in Europe. In all, not a bad trade-off
Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by threeMBs
1. The "official" numbers were about 400 units - something along the lines of one/dealer. But at least here in FL, several dealers got as many as three(3). I did get mine a month ago with hope that they will hold value better than other non-AMG R231 SLs (which do not), but now based on possibility that there could be much more than 400 units (unless dealers here are getting cars from the North and Mid West dealers), I'm not so sure anymore.
Got confirmation from my dealer (if one can trust them that is) that the official run of 400 is correct. All were already built from late September thru early November (majority, over 95% in October). As per them, over 50% were sold prior to last week of 2014, so less than 200 available country wide now (probably more were sold last week as incentive were galore, so now even less than that still available). Some dealers were getting as many as three (I know of three in FL who got 3 each and almost all of them here got 2 each), so that also means that some (elsewhere) did not get any. Had I known that before, I would have held off till last week of December (would have saved at least $2K over my "great deal" in early November). Of course I thought they would have sold out by now as first few cars went for MSRP here.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM

SL550
Living in the Northeast, the only SL550 convertible available was the White Arrow edition. It is basically and appearance package. If you like the black roof and wheels, it is a sharp, but flashy car. If you live in a low-key area, this may not be the car for you. My understanding is that the car was the first off the assembly line. There were a few SL400s that were scheduled for delivery to the dealer. For a car that is supposed to be built as a tribute to MB's racing heritage, I miss the need for illuminated door sills and soft close doors. So, it's agreed that ABC would have been a more appropriate option. The car was heavily discounted, but if you add your MBCA discount and an affinity program discount (AMA, ABA, AICPA) you could get another $4,000 off the price. As for 9% to 11% discounts, remember, it is 7% if you simply opt for European delivery. At the end of December, I bought the WA, drove it one day and stored it. It drives like it should and look forward to bringing it out mid-May. The SL550 has the "premium package" and engine size over the SL400. My assumption is that a stripped SL550 will have better resale value over an optioned up SL400. As was said in Diggstown in the MB scene "I would rather have a limp color than a limp engine." As for specific resale on the WA, look at what the 2009 Silver Arrow is bringing against its non-edition brother. Also, MB has nothing on its website regarding the WA or promoting it when I was playing with builds.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM

2012 CL550 ; 2009 SL-550 Silver Arrow
Silver Arrow comparison

to each their own but I think my 2009 Siver arrow is a much prettier color combination. But again I really do not like black interiors.