SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by bob55
A Mercedes-Benz-produced DVD Demo Disc called 'Mercedes-Benz Signature Sound' came with my (2013) 231. This is a DVD apparently designed to demonstrate the range and quality of MB's Audio Systems and is designed to be played ONLY on the MB Command System. This DVD contains both popular and classical music. Interestingly, this DVD Demo Disk above comes up in Command as 'Video Media', (not Audio Media), when you load it Perhaps even more interesting, this particular DVD contains an instruction to turn off HK's Logic-7 Surround Sound before playing it. That leads me to believe that Logic-7 Surround Sound is for Audio CD's and DVD's only, and is not to be used when playing this particular type of DVD (Video) Media.
bob55, what shows on the screen when you play that first DVD (in Park)?

In addition to the DVD mentioned above, I was also provided with a 2nd Demo Discproduced by Harman Kardon. This one is CD Audio Media and is called 'The Sounds of New York'. It contains random sounds from NY City as well as some pop and classical music. It appears to be specifically designed by Harman Kardon and was recorded in 5.1 Surround to highlight the HK Logic-7 Surround Sound System, so for this one, make sure Logic-7 is turned 'ON'.

Both these Discs were found inside the leather case that came with the 231's User Manual.
I have to assume the original lessee of my car liked those discs so much he retained them when turning in the car; just another thing to chalk up to the $50,000 discount I got for buying used! I may seek the DVD out however...is this it? One sold for $80 on eBay and I don't see any others so I've got my work cut out for me!

The Harman Kardon "The Sounds of New York" was easier to find, $15 and up on eBay and still available as Mercedes Part #000-827-47-59 (I found it for under $6, under $9 shipped)

Last edited by eddieo45; 04-19-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fix bob55 quotes
Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by eddieo45
I have to assume the original lessee of my car liked that disc so much he retained it when turning in the car; just another thing to chalk up to the $50,000 discount I got for buying used. I may seek the DVD out however...is this it? I don't see MB's name on it anywhere, just HK, and curiously "Logic 7" turns out to be encoded 5.1:

bob55, what shows on the screen when you play that first DVD (in Park)? The images I have above for a disc with city sounds as well as music state it's a CD, not DVD, and while I can find it in white or black packaging the tracklist is the same. What's the name of the 2nd Demo CD?
Eddie...Somehow I managed to transpose (reverse) the disc names in the referenced post, (Post #175), which was simply an error on my part, but I have since edited that post so it is now correct.

Please read the corrected Post #175 for the needed clarification. So sorry for the initial confusion in reversing those disc names. Note also, that because you quoted my post, the disc names remain incorrect for the quoted portion of your post. You may therefore wish to delete the now incorrect quote there by editing your post as well. Thanks for flagging the error, and once again, very sorry for that initial confusion and my accidental reversal of those disc names.

Last edited by bob55; 04-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (04-19-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
m157 SL63
Originally Posted by thethunderbird
I was able to enable the "Balance and Fade" in my 2013 SL, but the Balance option is the same in the settings, no front/back fade is enabled. I think my headunit in the 2013 is NTG 4.5 instead of 4.7 (pictured above). Has anyone with a 2013 been able to get it working?

Edit: I wasn't fully rebooting the system for the changes to take effect. Working now!
how do you reboot
DallasSLFan (04-21-2023)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by billvp218
how do you reboot
shut it off and turn it back on.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Mercedes-Benz-produced DVD Demo Disc called 'Mercedes-Benz Signature Sound' came with my (2013) 231. This is a DVD apparently designed to demonstrate the range and quality of MB's Audio Systems and is designed to be played ONLY on the MB Command System. This DVD contains both popular and classical music. Interestingly, this DVD Demo Disk above comes up in Command as 'Video Media', (not Audio Media), when you load it Perhaps even more interesting, this particular DVD contains an instruction to turn off HK's Logic-7 Surround Sound before playing it. That leads me to believe that Logic-7 Surround Sound is for Audio CD's and DVD's only, and is not to be used when playing this particular type of DVD (Video) Media.

In addition to the DVD mentioned above, I was also provided with a 2nd Demo Disc produced by Harman Kardon. This one is CD Audio Media and is called 'The Sounds of New York'. It contains random sounds from NY City as well as some pop and classical music. It appears to be specifically designed by Harman Kardon and was recorded in 5.1 Surround to highlight the HK Logic-7 Surround Sound System, so for this one, make sure Logic-7 is turned 'ON'.

Both these Discs were found inside the leather case that came with the 231's User Manual. I suspect later models may have come with different demo discs than mine did, but really can't say for sure! However, if you haven't already listened to whatever demo discs that came with your 231, you may want to do so sometime soon!
Okay, I just stumbled upon a DVD I have with 5.1 encoded audio LP's (it's from the box set of 80's British band Yazoo; perhaps rorywquin will be with me on that one!) The COMAND sees it as a video disc, so not only do I have to be in park to do anything with it, I have to navigate through the DVD Title Menu to the audio LPs, select version, and then select track. I sat in the driveway long enough to realize that if I wanted to invest the 5-10 minutes getting to the version of the LP I want, it will advance track to track while likely displaying the warning that it's not showing video for safety (the DVD actually displays a still image of the LP cover).

This DVD includes 3 version of each of Yazoo's two LPs: PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and DTS 5.1. Comparing them all took forever, as once I select one of the formats, I can only get back to that version's track selection unless I select the STOP button and start all over (to get the main DVD Title Menu. Comparison was also difficult due to the fact that the music is made by one guy with a stack of synthesizers and a woman with an admittedly huge vocal range. It might be just me, but the PCM stereo mix was best of all, the DTS 5.1 the better of the two 5.1 mixes. All three did send music to the rear speakers, with the 5.1's having a bit of a delay for surround effect. Overall I'd prefer to just play the remastered CDs so I can view the title and time on the COMAND display.

The MB dealer I tried to buy the HK Disc from could not fill the order; do those discs play as audio or must you also navigate a DVD Title menu as if if you're watching a film on DVD?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Okay, I just stumbled upon a DVD I have with 5.1 encoded audio LP's (it's from the box set of 80's British band Yazoo; perhaps rorywquin will be with me on that one!) The COMAND sees it as a video disc, so not only do I have to be in park to do anything with it, I have to navigate through the DVD Title Menu to the audio LPs, select version, and then select track. I sat in the driveway long enough to realize that if I wanted to invest the 5-10 minutes getting to the version of the LP I want, it will advance track to track while likely displaying the warning that it's not showing video for safety (the DVD actually displays a still image of the LP cover).

This DVD includes 3 version of each of Yazoo's two LPs: PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and DTS 5.1. Comparing them all took forever, as once I select one of the formats, I can only get back to that version's track selection unless I select the STOP button and start all over (to get the main DVD Title Menu. Comparison was also difficult due to the fact that the music is made by one guy with a stack of synthesizers and a woman with an admittedly huge vocal range. It might be just me, but the PCM stereo mix was best of all, the DTS 5.1 the better of the two 5.1 mixes. All three did send music to the rear speakers, with the 5.1's having a bit of a delay for surround effect. Overall I'd prefer to just play the remastered CDs so I can view the title and time on the COMAND display.

The MB dealer I tried to buy the HK Disc from could not fill the order; do those discs play as audio or must you also navigate a DVD Title menu as if if you're watching a film on DVD?
The audio disk that came with the our 2013 SL wasn't a regular DVD and obviously was usable while driving like a regular audio CD. Sound was fantastic and utilized all speakers in the system.
Bitbytr (08-01-2022)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Another speaker success !!!!

Best Buy in Kissimmee FL did an outstanding install for me last week. Rear speakers now give fabulous sound - they only charged $129.95 for the install and it was much less complicated than I feared it would be. The Alpine KTP-445U amp was an additional $134.99,Total job can be performed from the trunk ONLY with no passenger compartment panel removal required. They located the wires that fed the LF and RF door speakers and spliced them to share their feeds with the LR and RR speakers. F&R volume was balanced using the knob on the Alpine amp. Total job took 4 hours, locating the wires needed was probably 3 of the 4 hours. It's really inexcusable MB refuses to release a wiring harness that could easily remedy this whole problem. With a harness, this whole job could be done in 5 minutes. This is a Bang & Olufsen sound system. Everything was installed in the trunk next to the OEM amplifier. There are no visible modifications anywhere else on the car.

These are the wires that feed the LR and RR speakers.Brown with grey stripe and solid grey are LR. Brown with blue stripe and solid blue are RR feeds.
KeithS (11-10-2020)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
For "allfortheunion" and "streamliner"

Maybe good news for you below

but, 1'st review my posts of 4/4, 4/6, 4/8, 4/11 and 4/16 in the thread above.

I just contacted the shop here in Ma that did my install (master Alpine installer) and he would be OK sharing install info with a Master Alpine Installer in your area. Should easily be able to advise your guy as to the small # of panels to remove and the wiring mods to make.
Check out my posts noted above for the Alpine AMP, other components used and pictures.

I'm sure my guy does not want to publish the details here but, said OK to share with Your guy in Ca.

Contact info is:
Superior Radio and Security
Sagus Ma 781-231-5110
Owner is Billy (great guy) out of the shop today but, today I spoke with Mike (great guy as well as all there are) and Mike said should be OK to share their install info with an ALPINE Master Installer in your area.
Mike suggested and I agree to not let BB do the install especially if you want a high end install like mine that allows the infinite adjustment of F to R fade and factory default....also easily removable back to stock if desired.

Hope this helps

Steve

Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by steve sl550
For "allfortheunion" and "streamliner"

Maybe good news for you below

but, 1'st review my posts of 4/4, 4/6, 4/8, 4/11 and 4/16 in the thread above.

I just contacted the shop here in Ma that did my install (master Alpine installer) and he would be OK sharing install info with a Master Alpine Installer in your area. Should easily be able to advise your guy as to the small # of panels to remove and the wiring mods to make.
Check out my posts noted above for the Alpine AMP, other components used and pictures.

I'm sure my guy does not want to publish the details here but, said OK to share with Your guy in Ca.

Contact info is:
Superior Radio and Security
Sagus Ma 781-231-5110
Owner is Billy (great guy) out of the shop today but, today I spoke with Mike (great guy as well as all there are) and Mike said should be OK to share their install info with an ALPINE Master Installer in your area.
Mike suggested and I agree to not let BB do the install especially if you want a high end install like mine that allows the infinite adjustment of F to R fade and factory default....also easily removable back to stock if desired.

Hope this helps

Steve
This is very thoughtful and generous on your part, thank you. However, when I do an online search, I find zero reference to the term “Alpine Master Installer,” so I don’t know how one goes about finding one of these shops. Perhaps, if I contact Alpine directly, they can shed some light on this. I will say, that one of the problems I have found with higher end car audio shops in my area, is that absolutely NONE of them will tell you what the problem is with the SL systems. They all want to lead you down the garden path, thinking that if you are driving a new $100K car, that the sky must be the limit. So far, the only shop that has been clear about what they would do, is Best Buy, so I am still leaning towards letting them do the relatively inexpensive upgrade and then see how I like it. I can always take it a step further later, if I feel the need. Thanks again for the offer!
PHSWOOD (07-20-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
I found the second reply here discussing rear speakers interesting:

https://music.stackexchange.com/q/46328
Old 09-26-2019, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by allfortheunion
I found the second reply here discussing rear speakers interesting:

https://music.stackexchange.com/q/46328
that says what I said: "All of the sound should come from in front of (or from the left and right side) the listener for stereo - with nothing coming from behind the listener."
Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 AM

that says what I said: "All of the sound should come from in front of (or from the left and right side) the listener for stereo - with nothing coming from behind the listener."
Yes, post 167. This thread is so long I had forgotten. Very well said and I think I’m about through obsessing over the rear speakers. I think they are mainly there for watching a video DVD, something I’ve never done in the car.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
In my opinion my Dealer and everyone else that has listened to my car with the fix I had done allowing the rear speakers to operate is amazed on the improvement (everyone says it is as it should have been set up to operate).

In my case (if you read the posts I made explaining how the installation was done) the system by means of a switch can default to as built or with rear speakers and the F to R can be infinitely adjusted.

I understand it may not be true stereo for the audio buff BUT, everyone who has listened without exception agrees it is how MB should have sent the car out to market.

So...bottom line...I'm sure most will find a really big improvement to listening pleasure (in addition to much better spatial envelope I hear words to the music and words in general much better as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Two things:
Does anyone know if there Is any shop in Texas that knows how to do this upgrade as I am very interested in enhancing the POS sound system in this car. It is so average and Mercedes should be wrapped on the knuckles with a mini baseball bat for this. Its your (used to be) flagship 100k+ for almost all buyers- even CPO used ones- and you split rear speakers for DVD use only? The sound system should just kick *** and be done with it- built into the price- no options- made for and optimized for the cars space and WITH THE TOP DOWN to still hear (when you want to) a PREMIUM,SOLID listening experience. Without having to be an audiophile- but one knows when a song sounds "right" at volume. But I would like to stuff something in the rear plastic "cubby" that doesn't open Another sub Sub? An Amp- but whatever, I cant do it- does anyone know of anyone in the Texas Triangle that would do this?
Thanks for any help.

And
2> If it is any consolation, its maybe just how it rolls with Mercedes as these cars are the last of the truly GERMAN engineered cars. Meaning that electronically they do stupid things. I have had a German industrial company as a partner to my business for 30+ years- and while they can be amazing for sure- they engineer in some stupid things that make you scratch your head and ask "Why did they do that?" So that said- my 2015 S550 coupe has the Burmester upgrade- and to be honest it sounds good, but I never would have paid $ 6400 for the upgrade. HOWEVER- When you put a DVD movie in (I dont have any DVD Audio only) they sound AMAZING- the best I have ever heard- its like you only use like 12 of the 24 speakers and subs that are stuffed in that car- but when the DVDs play the other 12 come alive (Yes the S has 24 speakers with the Burmester) Maybe that's just how it was engineered (Why did they do that) to separate and enhance DVD sound from "standard" sound/ Stupid if they did but... Guaranteed the new electronics will be more "mainstream" (KIA is now the target instead of Audi/BMW LOL) but our cars are the last of the "old style" COMAND system- in all its early 2008-ish beauty!

PS: To play DVD movies in motion on your SL:

https://dvdinmotion.com/mercedes-benz

One caveat- it SHOULD be compatible and this only works with older COMAND systems- but they just told me they are working on it- so I dont know what that means- but they wont sell you the software unless they are 100% it will work. Works PERFECTLY in my S550 Coupe. The Three Stooges are great in your car- as is Moana LOL The colors!

Last edited by Dino333; 09-30-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Dino333
Two things:
Does anyone know if there Is any shop in Texas that knows how to do this upgrade as I am very interested in enhancing the POS sound system in this car. It is so average and Mercedes should be wrapped on the knuckles with a mini baseball bat for this. Its your (used to be) flagship 100k+ for almost all buyers- even CPO used ones- and you split rear speakers for DVD use only? The sound system should just kick *** and be done with it- built into the price- no options- made for and optimized for the cars space and WITH THE TOP DOWN to still hear (when you want to) a PREMIUM,SOLID listening experience. Without having to be an audiophile- but one knows when a song sounds "right" at volume. But I would like to stuff something in the rear plastic "cubby" that doesn't open Another sub Sub? An Amp- but whatever, I cant do it- does anyone know of anyone in the Texas Triangle that would do this?
Thanks for any help.

And
2> If it is any consolation, its maybe just how it rolls with Mercedes as these cars are the last of the truly GERMAN engineered cars. Meaning that electronically they do stupid things. I have had a German industrial company as a partner to my business for 30+ years- and while they can be amazing for sure- they engineer in some stupid things that make you scratch your head and ask "Why did they do that?" So that said- my 2015 S550 coupe has the Burmester upgrade- and to be honest it sounds good, but I never would have paid $ 6400 for the upgrade. HOWEVER- When you put a DVD movie in (I dont have any DVD Audio only) they sound AMAZING- the best I have ever heard- its like you only use like 12 of the 24 speakers and subs that are stuffed in that car- but when the DVDs play the other 12 come alive (Yes the S has 24 speakers with the Burmester) Maybe that's just how it was engineered (Why did they do that) to separate and enhance DVD sound from "standard" sound/ Stupid if they did but... Guaranteed the new electronics will be more "mainstream" (KIA is now the target instead of Audi/BMW LOL) but our cars are the last of the "old style" COMAND system- in all its early 2008-ish beauty!

PS: To play DVD movies in motion on your SL:

https://dvdinmotion.com/mercedes-benz

One caveat- it SHOULD be compatible and this only works with older COMAND systems- but they just told me they are working on it- so I dont know what that means- but they wont sell you the software unless they are 100% it will work. Works PERFECTLY in my S550 Coupe. The Three Stooges are great in your car- as is Moana LOL The colors!
I don’t mean to be argumentative, but who would want to watch a movie in their SL? As much as I like music, I feel no need to rush out and “fix” the lousy sound system in my SL, because I so enjoy just listening to the engine and the sounds of top down driving. I’m sure that Tesla driver was just engrossed in a movie when he was decapitated, as his car submarined a semitrailer, while under the control of “Auto Pilot.” Wonder what the movie was?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I don’t mean to be argumentative, but who would want to watch a movie in their SL? As much as I like music, I feel no need to rush out and “fix” the lousy sound system in my SL, because I so enjoy just listening to the engine and the sounds of top down driving. I’m sure that Tesla driver was just engrossed in a movie when he was decapitated, as his car submarined a semitrailer, while under the control of “Auto Pilot.” Wonder what the movie was?
Well don't disagree with you but 1> They sell a **** ton of these and 2> Where I live, even on weekends there is a lot of traffic- a lot of stops (Until i get out of town) but 3> Dont watch movies ALL the time- not near it- but I have various Live Music DVDs that sound really good (Most live) through the DVD player. Country drives- of course not. All that said it is pretty neat to listen to movies etc... most of the time, especially if you have already seen it before, you dont even need to "watch" it. Old Twilight zone episodes are pretty perfect LOL
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When you put a DVD movie in (I dont have any DVD Audio only) they sound AMAZING
Can you recommend one or two that sound particularly amazing?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 AM

Seems to me anything that is Dolby 5.1? Moana for sure, Two Judas Priest concert DVDs (My fave) and the original Men in Black- didnt notice better quality out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail since it is older DVD?
No "music only" DVDs as I dont own any of those.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM

The beginning of “The Polar Express”
Old 10-01-2019, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems to me anything that is Dolby 5.1? Moana for sure, Two Judas Priest concert DVDs (My fave) and the original Men in Black- didnt notice better quality out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail since it is older DVD?
No "music only" DVDs as I dont own any of those.
I think I mentioned before on this thread that I have a box set of the band Yaz/Yazoo's catalogue. They only had two LPs, and they're included in multiple formats. the 5.1 Audio DVD reads to COMAND like a video, so I have to navigate it as such while parked, then when I drive I can listen but see only a warning onscreen. While it is better than the stereo mix, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "amazing" and I don't really hear more speakers, just better surround. I've got Live Aid in 5.1 DVD I think, and when I'm up for the hassle of loading it I may give it a try.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
SL450
2017 and Up HK - Stereo Amplifier Wiring Diagram

For those interested in the stereo upgrade and wanting to have a little more confidence in this project - Here is the wiring diagram for 2017 and up SL with the HK Stereo system.

Streamliner (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM

SL450
2017 and Up - Rear Fuse Box for Stereo Upgrades

And if you are going to add an amp - Here is the fuse box in the trunk to be able to make a nice clean connection.

Streamliner (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for posting this. Did you do an upgrade to your car? If so, what did you do?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM

SL450
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Thank you for posting this. Did you do an upgrade to your car? If so, what did you do?
I'm hoping to do the install tomorrow. Spent my last few years at UCSB mamaging an audiophile store for both home and car. Hoping my fat 50 year old body can squeeze into the back seat long enough to make the connecrions.

Planned upgrade for tomorrow is the Alpine Amp for the rears and an Audio Cobtrol preamp or preamp with eq. Im setting it up to add the JBL sub if needed.

I also got the Mods4Cars module. Thought it was s cool toy but pricey. But then when I saw I can disble the stoplight on/off it was a no brainer. I hate that feeling of the car dying.

Its going to be 95 today. If the weather drops tomorrow then hopefully will have a positive post in the evening.

Dave B
ram_g (08-28-2021)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know that many guys here, myself included, would REALLY appreciate it if you could take some photos during your install and note just exactly what you had to do, what panels needed to be removed, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!