SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: I now understand "The best or Nothing"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I now understand "The best or Nothing"

Sometimes you get nothing. I have a warranty part failure on my SRS system that was diagnosed in January. Repeated calls to the dealer told me they were trying to get it. A few weeks ago I was told it was shipping from Germany so I called today to get status and MB cancelled the order and now they have no idea when a new one will ship.

I called MBUSA and was told the part is on a nationwide backorder and they have no idea when it will be available. Apparently, sometimes you get Nothing with Mercedes. The truth in their advertising that most of us never knew.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,423 Likes on 1,950 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
Sometimes you get nothing. I have a warranty part failure on my SRS system that was diagnosed in January. Repeated calls to the dealer told me they were trying to get it. A few weeks ago I was told it was shipping from Germany so I called today to get status and MB cancelled the order and now they have no idea when a new one will ship.

I called MBUSA and was told the part is on a nationwide backorder and they have no idea when it will be available. Apparently, sometimes you get Nothing with Mercedes. The truth in their advertising that most of us never knew.
I assume you mean the Supplementary Restraint System. If so, this is a HUGE deal, as you could argue that the car is unsafe to drive. I would leave the car with the dealer and would tell them that the "countdown" is ticking away. If the car isn't repaired in a reasonable amount of time, hit them with a "Lemon Law" suit and start thinking about what color you want your brand new car to be.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I assume you mean the Supplementary Restraint System. If so, this is a HUGE deal, as you could argue that the car is unsafe to drive. I would leave the car with the dealer and would tell them that the "countdown" is ticking away. If the car isn't repaired in a reasonable amount of time, hit them with a "Lemon Law" suit and start thinking about what color you want your brand new car to be.
Yes supplemental restraint system. I am driving one of my other cars, but if MBUSA doesn't give me an answer this week, I may start legal action. MB doesn't appear to care at all.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Yes supplemental restraint system. I am driving one of my other cars, but if MBUSA doesn't give me an answer this week, I may start legal action. MB doesn't appear to care at all.
Don't do it! Take your car into the dealer and leave it there. Take their loaner, even if you just park it in the street in front of your house. Something tells me that the needed part will magically appear--sooner, rather than later. If it doesn't, you have suffered damages by being denied the use of your $100K+ luxury car for an extended period of time.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
The representative of MBUSA returned my call only to tell me that she still has no answers about when this will be resolved. I have a call into my attorney to see what can be done. I do know that my next automobile won't have a star on it.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has been many years, but if I am not mistaken, in California, if a car is out of commission for a total of 30 days, I believe over the course of a year, it is considered a lemon and the owner is entitled to a new car or a full refund. That's why you leave it at the dealer. If they have it, there is no question that it us out of commission.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
It has been many years, but if I am not mistaken, in California, if a car is out of commission for a total of 30 days, I believe over the course of a year, it is considered a lemon and the owner is entitled to a new car or a full refund. That's why you leave it at the dealer. If they have it, there is no question that it us out of commission.
Texas lemon law says that if it a serious condition (which I think this is) and it is under warranty (which it is) and they can't fix it in 30 days (which they haven't) and it has less than 24,000 miles (which it does) they can either buy the car back at "fair market value" or give a loaner until fixed. I really don't like driving around in the GLC myself. It is a MB problem to me, not a MB dealer problem. I need to somehow make it a MB problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
If you can use the lemon law for it, go for it!

Interesting that a lemon law can apply to a 2013 model. I have always looked at it as a new car protection.

That said, I am interested what part/function actually failed.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
If you can use the lemon law for it, go for it!

Interesting that a lemon law can apply to a 2013 model. I have always looked at it as a new car protection.

That said, I am interested what part/function actually failed.
It is somewhat a new car protection with still having to be under warranty, which it is, and under 24,000 miles, which it is. I would agree that most people wouldn't have a car for 3 1/2 years and have less than 20,000 miles, but I have several vehicles. I think the lemon law for me is a bad option though as its remedies were definitely crafted by the auto companies.

The part that failed is a sensor in the headrest. It is my understanding that it senses a sudden changes and triggers the pretension of the seat belt. Parts fail, I understand that. What I don't understand is MB's complete lack of giving their customer a time frame for replacement. This doesn't bode well for the model imo.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

It is somewhat a new car protection with still having to be under warranty, which it is, and under 24,000 miles, which it is. I would agree that most people wouldn't have a car for 3 1/2 years and have less than 20,000 miles, but I have several vehicles. I think the lemon law for me is a bad option though as its remedies were definitely crafted by the auto companies.

The part that failed is a sensor in the headrest. It is my understanding that it senses a sudden changes and triggers the pretension of the seat belt. Parts fail, I understand that. What I don't understand is MB's complete lack of giving their customer a time frame for replacement. This doesn't bode well for the model imo.
I agree that it's unacceptable to not have an ETA on a repair; very surprising that the part isn't readily available since the these sensors don't change between model years. There may be an exception if the part is listed as requiring a re-design or vendor change. Unfortunately I have seen some SL parts to be rare due to low production volume.

When the engine on our first R231 hydro-locked MB planned to order a replacement engine. There was no spare in the US and none in Germany either. They would have had to build an engine just for our car. Difficult to imagine... The car was totaled so it ended up to be a non-issue.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Update: Now told by MBUSA that it will ship from Germany on April 7, figure 10 days to arrive at dealership. 3 months to get a replacement part.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Update: Now told by MBUSA that it will ship from Germany on April 7, figure 10 days to arrive at dealership. 3 months to get a replacement part.
Tell them that you expect to be paid for the monthly cost of ownership. Maybe $1200 a month? A car not driven still costs money.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
^ plus insurance. plus deprec.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:50 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I called MBUSA today to see if the part was shipped today as promised. The answer was no. I asked when it would ship and the answer was we don't know, but we will let you know when it does. They teach their agents to be very nice and friendly, but unfortunately they are given lots of nice ways to say they have no answers.

Very disappointed in Mercedes and the lack of having someone to actually resolve a real problem.

Last edited by Centexhokie; 04-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:21 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Part finally replaced after just 3 months. Yeah, I don't have to look at the little warning light anymore and can sell the car.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Part finally replaced after just 3 months. Yeah, I don't have to look at the little warning light anymore and can sell the car.
Just curious: What do you plan on replacing the SL with?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:47 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Just curious: What do you plan on replacing the SL with?
I don't know. I'm thinking about going with a little more "mainstream" car like a BMW 5 series, but haven't started shopping yet. I know after this experience it won't have a star on the front. Even the dealer was frustrated by MBUSA.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's just that the SL is such a great, unique car. About the only thing that I like as much, is a Bentley Convertible and since this is a third car for my wife and I, I just can't justify spending more than double for something I'll drive like 3K miles a year.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
It's just that the SL is such a great, unique car. About the only thing that I like as much, is a Bentley Convertible and since this is a third car for my wife and I, I just can't justify spending more than double for something I'll drive like 3K miles a year.
Unique, yes. Great, I'm not so sure. There are lots of compromises for the uniqueness which I was happy to deal with when I thought it got good service.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

I also think it is unique ans great as there are not a lot of great convertibles in the world.

This is the most practical convertible and safe to drive in terms of structural integrity. Something that actually isn't easy to design.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I also think it is unique ans great as there are not a lot of great convertibles in the world.

This is the most practical convertible and safe to drive in terms of structural integrity. Something that actually isn't easy to design.
Before this I had a BMW 335i. It was more practical, more comfortable and was safe.

I paid cash for the SL new so I don't disagree that it was an appealing car, but if they don't support it, all of the bells and whistles will be negatives rather than pluses. It is not a "great car". That is why it depreciates like a rock versus say a Porsche 911.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Before this I had a BMW 335i. It was more practical, more comfortable and was safe.

I paid cash for the SL new so I don't disagree that it was an appealing car, but if they don't support it, all of the bells and whistles will be negatives rather than pluses. It is not a "great car". That is why it depreciates like a rock versus say a Porsche 911.
I guess we disagree of what makes a great convertible. IMHO, the BMW is a horrible convertible.
Just like any 4 seater, they are neither roomy nor good at being a convertible. I have driven these in Germany and they are virtually unusable top-down at high speed.
This may not be relevant in the US but this is exactly what a convertible should be. Top-down comfort.

Im regards to safety, the BMW also had some body flex top-down which wouldn't be great in case of accidents.

And, anything depreciates like a rock compared to a 911. This is really not a reference point.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:34 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I guess we disagree of what makes a great convertible. IMHO, the BMW is a horrible convertible.
Just like any 4 seater, they are neither roomy nor good at being a convertible. I have driven these in Germany and they are virtually unusable top-down at high speed.
This may not be relevant in the US but this is exactly what a convertible should be. Top-down comfort.

Im regards to safety, the BMW also had some body flex top-down which wouldn't be great in case of accidents.

And, anything depreciates like a rock compared to a 911. This is really not a reference point.
What we disagree on is what makes a car Great. I never said that the BMW is a great car, but it was a comfortable as the SL at the speeds that are reasonable on US roads.

A gull wing SL is a great car. A first edition Jaguar E-type is a great car. Even a SLR Mercedes was a great car. Never will the R231 be confused as great compared to that type of car. Great cars go up in price after a few years. This car will never do that.

I hope you never have trouble getting parts for your car and enjoy it greatly. My problem is a lot less with the SL versus MB. I have never seen such a lack of concern for their customers as I experienced talking to MBUSA. Parts fail, but there is no reason for service people not to follow up and provide information to their customers. Part of what you think you are buying with the cost of a Mercedes is service and the company behind the product. I have personally seen that at least today that reputation is more myth and legend than actuality.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

What we disagree on is what makes a car Great. I never said that the BMW is a great car, but it was a comfortable as the SL at the speeds that are reasonable on US roads.

A gull wing SL is a great car. A first edition Jaguar E-type is a great car. Even a SLR Mercedes was a great car. Never will the R231 be confused as great compared to that type of car. Great cars go up in price after a few years. This car will never do that.

I hope you never have trouble getting parts for your car and enjoy it greatly. My problem is a lot less with the SL versus MB. I have never seen such a lack of concern for their customers as I experienced talking to MBUSA. Parts fail, but there is no reason for service people not to follow up and provide information to their customers. Part of what you think you are buying with the cost of a Mercedes is service and the company behind the product. I have personally seen that at least today that reputation is more myth and legend than actuality.
I completely agree with you on your parts issue. That is unacceptable and as suggested, i would have the them pay me for the loss of use or go the legal route if they refuse. Either way, i understand your frustration and wish you a speedy resolution!

In regards to what makes a great car, your bar is indeed quite high. Resale value wouldn't be part of my equation
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are probably right about any R231 not appreciating over time, as just maintaining the elaborate electrical & hydraulic systems over decades will be a nightmare. However, to me, that has nothing to do with evaluating greatness of a current model. And, the 300SL Gull Wing is a relatively rare car, which, when we consider appreciation, is impossible to compare to something that is readily available, brand new, to anyone with good credit and a lease down payment in their pocket.

There is nothing on the market today that comes close to providing the luxurious, top down experience that the SL does so well, especially when you consider all the comfort & safety features. There are others who do it much differently (Porsche, Jaguar) and those who do it at a much higher price (Bentley,Ferrari), but as far as doing what the SL does and how it does it, nothing comes close--believe me, I've looked. With all this in mind, compared to what else is currently available, the R231 pretty much has the market cornered and, to me, is truly a great car in the here and now.

You have had an unacceptably bad experience with your car and I feel for you. But I can vividly remember how--in 1967--electrical things would fail on my 1965 XKE Roadster, just from sitting overnight in my garage. How great was that?
The following users liked this post:
tandan (05-04-2017)