SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Electrical drain Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Electrical drain Please help!

I just purchased a 2013 SL 550 with only 30,000 kms. Drove it back from Montreal a few weeks ago and loved it! Awesome car until...

Last week I took it to a garage that has done a lot of work for me and had Blackview dash cams installed. When I tried to start the car again 24 hours later the battery was completely dead, the horn would not even honk, no dash lights, nothing. I disconnected the cameras (not at the fuse box but disconnecting the jack from the camera), took it back to the garage where the battery was implicated as the cause. They replaced the battery, I drove home, and 24 hours later the battery is once again stone cold dead.
I'm having it towed back to the garage, where they are scratching their heads, tonight and wonder if anyone has any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by alland
I just purchased a 2013 SL 550 with only 30,000 kms. Drove it back from Montreal a few weeks ago and loved it! Awesome car until...

Last week I took it to a garage that has done a lot of work for me and had Blackview dash cams installed. When I tried to start the car again 24 hours later the battery was completely dead, the horn would not even honk, no dash lights, nothing. I disconnected the cameras (not at the fuse box but disconnecting the jack from the camera), took it back to the garage where the battery was implicated as the cause. They replaced the battery, I drove home, and 24 hours later the battery is once again stone cold dead.
I'm having it towed back to the garage, where they are scratching their heads, tonight and wonder if anyone has any thoughts?
It sounds like BlackVue dash cam is draining your battery. Is it properly installed? Try disconnecting it and see if your battery still dies after 24 hours.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Hard to believe that the dash CAM could drain the battery within a day. Wonder if something was shorted during the install.
The Blackvue should have a power saver box anyway that cuts the power to the cam beyond a pre-set voltage.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Agreed, that the camera should not be able to run down a new battery and in fact the camera was disconnected, at the device, when the second battery was drained.
I was told that the power saver box that I provided was not functioning so they connected it without one until a replacement arrived. Could a short create a drain that large?
Appreciate the input.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Hook up a meter or scope and figure out exactly how much of a draw there is
Old 09-24-2017, 02:44 PM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Good suggestion. We did that after the first power loss. After a minute or so, after the computers went onto sleep mode the draw went down to a about .4 which I believe is correct.
The car is back in the garage now and they think that the computers sense the new connection and wake up again after a short "snooze". When they disconnected the camera leads the battery held onto the charge. I'n not sure what they were connecting to but we'll have to figure out another power source that does not wake up the car.
I''m wondering now, after the new battery was completely drained of power for several days before being re-charged, will it come back to full capacity. Or should I preplace with another new battery?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by alland
Good suggestion. We did that after the first power loss. After a minute or so, after the computers went onto sleep mode the draw went down to a about .4 which I believe is correct.
The car is back in the garage now and they think that the computers sense the new connection and wake up again after a short "snooze". When they disconnected the camera leads the battery held onto the charge. I'n not sure what they were connecting to but we'll have to figure out another power source that does not wake up the car.
I''m wondering now, after the new battery was completely drained of power for several days before being re-charged, will it come back to full capacity. Or should I preplace with another new battery?
0.4 Amps is 400mA, that is pretty excessive. You should have around 50-60mA that would be 0.05
Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 PM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
I may have missed a decimal point, I'll check with the tech tomorrow morning. Thanks for the specs.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Battery has been fine despite infrequent use so it seems to have survived the ordeal. I have not re-installed the camera for now.
Thanks for your help.