SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Headlights in Auto Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500, bentley GT, 911 cab, 1947 lincoln continental cabriolet
Headlights in Auto Mode

I like and need the feature that provides a headlight delay turnoff when turning off the engine at night. On my 2013 sl550 it only works when headlights are in auto mode not when headlights are in normal on mode. However on my car, if I leave lights in auto mode, I cannot switch headlights to high beam when pushing the lever toward the windshield. I can pull the lever toward me and temporarily activate high beams. In normal on mode I can activate the high beams. Is this the way it is engineered or do I have a computer setting failure? Thanks for any comments or advice.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
If in auto with the sick forward and you have "high beam assist" or better, high beam will only come on when the system deems it needed. My wife's car (B Class) has standard lights but in auto, you can switch high beam on or off with the stick at any time.

I absolutely love the LED & ILS in my car. It constantly adjusts and refocuses the lights according to the road/traffic conditions, even my wife is impressed. I had ILS in my SLK 350 (2013 R172) which were good, but they were not a touch on the current system.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rorywquin
If in auto with the sick forward and you have "high beam assist" or better, high beam will only come on when the system deems it needed. My wife's car (B Class) has standard lights but in auto, you can switch high beam on or off with the stick at any time.

I absolutely love the LED & ILS in my car. It constantly adjusts and refocuses the lights according to the road/traffic conditions, even my wife is impressed. I had ILS in my SLK 350 (2013 R172) which were good, but they were not a touch on the current system.

Thanks --- helpful information. I do have high beam assist and will have to check settings and adjust if needed. I like to be able to turn beams to high on one section of road I travel every day where deer cross regularly. So many features and a 600 page manual. I really do like the cornering lights that automatically light up the right or left side when turning signal is switched on or steering wheel turned.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rorywquin

Thanks --- helpful information. I do have high beam assist and will have to check settings and adjust if needed. I like to be able to turn beams to high on one section of road I travel every day where deer cross regularly. So many features and a 600 page manual. I really do like the cornering lights that automatically light up the right or left side when turning signal is switched on or steering wheel turned.