SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Vanity Plate for the front of SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
Vanity Plate for the front of SL550

I like to add a Mercedes vanity plate to the front of my SL550. The front of the car, however, is curved and the plate would have to be bent accordingly which I think would damage the Mercedes logo. Do they make special curved plates and how would you bend a plate?
Old 11-06-2017, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by harrisnj
I like to add a Mercedes vanity plate to the front of my SL550. The front of the car, however, is curved and the plate would have to be bent accordingly which I think would damage the Mercedes logo. Do they make special curved plates and how would you bend a plate?
The newer cars (SL) have a bracket that is on the front...on my SLK they just bent the plate to fit :-(
Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
To OP,

Rorywquin is correct. There is a mounting block that goes on your front bumper and it is curved. So you don't have to try and bend your license plate bracket to match or risk damaging your front bumper nu force fitting it. You then mount the matching curved Mercedes Benz license plate bracket to the mounting block. No need to bend your actual license plates themselves. You can get the curved OEM Mercedes license plate bracket on Amazon, if you don't want to get it from a MB dealership. Exact same item. Just costs a bit less. I agree with you that it makes any MB look a lot better than the typical plastic license plate frame the dealerships slap on the cars.