SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: ABC and manual raising of the SL body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 X3, '09 Corvette
ABC and manual raising of the SL body

I have been reading about this capability but have not come across anything that depicts it.

The link below is a video comparing a '15 SL550 and Porsche 911 Targa 4S.

At 10:10 in, the driver raises the body up a couple inches by pushing and holding the button that in most cars is a "blank." I had been wondering what function can be added there. You know how it is; you get a vehicle with "blanks" like this and wonder what option you didn't spend enough $ to get. I assume it's the same in the 2018.

Last edited by BobBass; 12-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Do not have a 2018 so can't answer that question. On my '2008 the button only raised the body 1/2" with two pushes. I measured at the wheel wells and under the front bumper area. Had a discussion with a "lowering" fanboy who said it made a big difference in driving performance. I called it marketing bs.
Maybe at really high speeds but for the vast majority of us that only drive a bit above posted speeds I find it hard to believe 1/2" height difference is measurable or can be felt by the driver at most driving speeds. I expect someone will post in to flame me and claim a 30hp increase by lowering 1/2".
The following users liked this post:
John Choi (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This has been discussed here ad nauseum, Just do a search... In short, ABC can't be added.

Btw. Raising the car manually has nothing to do with lowering the car. ABC raises the car about a 3/4" and that is only used for rougher terrain (unpaved streets) or a steep driveway. Independent of that, the car also lowers itself from the default height at speed. Primary benefit of that is not performance but "officially" lowering fuel consumption. This makes little difference in the US but in Europe at $8 a gallon and driving 150mph it makes a huge difference.

The height difference between raised and lowered at speed is about 1 1/4"
Beyond what is offered stock, people do lower cars but that's primarily for looks. Lowering does change the drive of the car significantly. The lower the car, the firmer/rougher the ride. But it improves the steering turn-in as the negative camber increases.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 X3, '09 Corvette
Sorry about the "ad nauseum" rehash and I have done searches for ABC here and in the 230 forum. Didn't come across any videos or pics.

What intrigues me is the ability to raise the body for "clean" access to my driveway. Backing out of it, the front spoiler air dam on my '09 Corvette scrapes on the concrete apron. VERY ANNOYING. I'm thinking IF this would occur with an SL, being able to raise it might mitigate the problem. And, this is purely a guess from a "non-mechanical guy," but forcing it to raise to max height and back down might even be a good "exercise" for the system mechanically. Kinda like running the A/C in the winter to keep the seals in the system from drying out.

You can see the difference in height here:

ABC in low position.

ABC in high position
Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Just wanted to say there are plenty of details on this forum, so no new info is really needed. I have ABC in our car and had the same car once with springs and once with ABC. Easy to tell the difference then. A no-brainer option IMO. Hard to find on a lot, easy to configure to build. Everybody has to decide wether it's worth the money to them...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This has been discussed here ad nauseum, Just do a search... In short, ABC can't be added.

Btw. Raising the car manually has nothing to do with lowering the car. ABC raises the car about a 3/4"
Mine raises the car closer to 2" (Very useful when washing the car ;-)) as pictured in those photos....and at higher speeds (around 60mph) will lower it a further 1/2" from normal. Will also automatically lower from the "high" position once you get up to speed. The hight of the car is displayed with all the other info on Driving Mode Graphic and you also get a message between the dials that it is "lowering" the car. "Curve tilt" and "crosswind...whatever it is called" are also part of the ABC package. I believe it also counters the tendency of the rear to dig in under hard acceleration and nose dipping with hard braking.

I think that by now MB should have resolved the old ABC issues (well I hope so) and if I was buying again, I'd have it again - great for speed humps (many here in the UK) steep approach angles, while washing the car etc. I'm still undecided about Curve Tilt as I seldom use it (kind of an eco mode) but the cross wind thing works well.

Last edited by rorywquin; 12-09-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rorywquin
Mine raises the car closer to 2" (Very useful when washing the car ;-)) as pictured in those photos....and at higher speeds (around 60mph) will lower it a further 1/2" from normal. Will also automatically lower from the "high" position once you get up to speed. The hight of the car is displayed with all the other info on Driving Mode Graphic and you also get a message between the dials that it is "lowering" the car. "Curve tilt" and "crosswind...whatever it is called" are also part of the ABC package. I believe it also counters the tendency of the rear to dig in under hard acceleration and nose dipping with hard braking.

I think that by now MB should have resolved the old ABC issues (well I hope so) and if I was buying again, I'd have it again - great for speed humps (many here in the UK) steep approach angles, while washing the car etc. I'm still undecided about Curve Tilt as I seldom use it (kind of an eco mode) but the cross wind thing works well.
You are right! Ours raises higher as well. I thought it was less but then I never raise it while outside the car There is no downside to ABC other than the costs perhaps
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (12-09-2017)