SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 2019/2020 for Wolfman and others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
SL550 2019/2020 for Wolfman and others

Been overseas for sometime................still have my 2013 550 and its unusual for me to have a MB for this long but was waiting for a possible new shape and updated...been going over a few older posts and great news as far as keeping the hard top as I would not have wanted a cloth top......just wondering if anyone has any news re when a new model will be in the showrooms and any spy pics or inside info........? last post was when I mentioned my dream car was a mclaren. Well I drove one in the UK...wow, but not exactly comfortable...it is a beast of a car and I just love the shape..replacement price for a new hood(bonnet in Uk) 125K(don't think so)...oh how I wish MB would make something similar in shape, updated electronics, particularly in navigation and around 125K tops with options.....
Old 02-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
bump...anyone at home?
Old 02-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by branmin
Been overseas for sometime................still have my 2013 550 and its unusual for me to have a MB for this long but was waiting for a possible new shape and updated...been going over a few older posts and great news as far as keeping the hard top as I would not have wanted a cloth top......just wondering if anyone has any news re when a new model will be in the showrooms and any spy pics or inside info........? last post was when I mentioned my dream car was a mclaren. Well I drove one in the UK...wow, but not exactly comfortable...it is a beast of a car and I just love the shape..replacement price for a new hood(bonnet in Uk) 125K(don't think so)...oh how I wish MB would make something similar in shape, updated electronics, particularly in navigation and around 125K tops with options.....
Welcome back!
At this point it’s way too early for anything as we are talking about 2 years from now.

The one thing that will likely carry over are some of the newer engine configurations that will come up for the new 4 door AMG GT variant that is based on the new CLS platform.

I will post as soon as info is available
Overseas = UK?

Re. The SLR Mclaren carry very significant part costs, just like the old Maybach and SLS BS. Makes ownership a bit more risky but not less rewarding.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 PM

Thx Wolfman,

Yes, in the UK. Back now. Not sure I can wait 2 years. A bit though like the latest iPhone...have the 6 for over three years and was looking at the X or the 8 plus and you just know that something better comes out the minute you purchase what you think is the latest and greatest, however, we are talking about a fabulous car here and not a phone, but you get the gist and I don't like leasing cars. I get the impression though that the new SL will not be radically changed bodywise, if anything could be less dramatic and less sporty but with updated electronics. My 2013 starting to get noises, things falling off, etc and although I have an extended warranty until 2020 for anything major, just getting the urge now and not quite sure what to do................should have in retrospect brought last year but she has only done 52 thousand miles up to now and another 15-20 thousand miles over the next 2 years plus depreciation which is heavy on our cars may have me regretting not to purchase the 2018 model....
Oh well, we shall see. I honestly have no other desire to get another brand of car..looked at them all and come back to the same decision..this SL550 series is just superb.....Do you recall when some were moaning in 2013 about the new shape from previous years?
Last week, had the famous yellow check engine icon light pop up..booked her in on the 16th and guess what, after 1 week of it being on constantly as opposed to flashing(which is more serious) it decided to disappear today? Strange, could be anything even down to something as the gas cap not put back correctly..anyone else experienced this?
So I am none the wiser what to do but as mentioned after I read that you(wolfman) reported here(this one though is still I believe in question) that there would not be a cloth top only situation going forward, I felt a lot better after that and think that I thought(reading your post from the Uk) that I would delay matters for the time being.........time will tell...
Be well....
Best. Bran.
The following users liked this post:
Cubfan (02-28-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 SL550
Don't know where I saw it but a "knowledgable" forecaster had the SL getting larger. It would be a 2+2 with a soft top. Also forecasted three AMG variants and much more HP across the board. For me, more power sound fine but I don't want a larger car. I may be keeping my 2013 for a very long time.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:47 PM

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-next-ge...-different-car

Who to believe..Normally Wolfman has the most up to date information that I know of...now this article states 2022....don't think so. That would make it 9 years between new models...too long. I don't want a 4 seater or a cloth top.....
hmmmmmm.