SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: U/G from 2007 SL550 with questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 AMG sl43
U/G from 2007 SL550 with questions

As my screen name says I bought my first Benz at 62 because I had already gone through 27 other cars which included an 84 and 96 Corvette. My luxury vehicles began with new Infinity’s - I30, I35, G35, and finally a M35. Traded the M35 for a slightly used fully loaded Lexus LS430UL and then to another fully loaded used Lexus RX350. I really appreciated the luxury and got hooked on the adaptive cruise control. After briefly considering another Corvette I ended up getting my used 07 SL550 without Distronic but had ABC. (Test drove a Distronic SL car at DFW airport and it scared the heck out of me when it panic stopped approaching slower cars.) However, once behind the wheel, I immediately found out the meaning of pure driving pleasure, comfort and luxury. I quickly learned how to use the simple cruise control lever to slow and speed up and averaged 29mpg on my first trip of over 1000 miles.

Just recently traded up to my 2015 fully loaded SL400 withe Driver assistance pkg and Premium 1 pkg along with Magic Sky but no ABC and new tires.
Have some questions regarding the car that hopefully some of you can answer. First, while cleaning the brake dust off the wheels I noticed that only the front brake rotors were vented with holes. Also found an interesting tool in the glove box for measuring rotor wear but does that mean the rear rotors have been replaced with non-OEM? Next, the dash had been replaced under warranty due to shrinkage of the leather (Designo interior) and is scheduled for a rear panel leather replacement due to the same reason - shrinkage. As it will be garaged totally I don’t think I should have to worry about it happening again or do I? Also, still have 13 months and/or a little less than 15,000 miles left on the original warranty. The last thing is that the nav screen has a few minor spots on it that I have not tried to remove due to what I have read about the delicate nature of the screen coating. Other than that it has replaced my 2007 as my number one automobile of all time! LOL.

Here is the ad that caught my eye and do not know what the sport package is.

MSRP $101,415... SPORT PACKAGE... DESIGNO LEATHER... MAGIC SKY CONTROL... DISTRONIC PLUS... KEYLESS GO... BLIND SPOT... LANE KEEPING ASSIST... PARKTRONIC.... HANDS FREE ACCESS... MULTI CONTOUR SEATS... HEATED & VENTILATED SEATS... NAVIGATION... REVERSE CAMERA... AND MORE!

BTW it is Magnetite black metallic exterior over designo porcelain...