SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 Exhaust question prior to muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
SL550 Exhaust question prior to muffler delete

This subject may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.
I took my SL550 to a performance shop today to talk about deleting the rear mufflers. I showed him the pictures from this forum with those mufflers deleted. He thought it was a really good job and way to do it.
He asked me a question that I did not know the answer to: He asked if I knew if the way the exhaust was routed through the turbos? He mentioned that some of the new cars use a routing that the turbos really act like a big muffler and removing the last resonator and the big muffler would make it louder, but not obnoxious. No idea what that means.
I know a couple people have done this muffler delete mod and I wonder if you are happy with it (not too loud) or if you had to do it again would you leave the forward resonator and just remove the mufflers?
TIA for any input and ideas.
Mark
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL 550 Diamond white
I also have a 2013 SL550, and want anti more sound. I'm not going to spend stupid money on aftermarket exhaust systems.. I would love to hear from someone that
has cut out the resonators on sound and maybe a video... Anybody??
thx,
Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
When I was 16 back in '59, I took the muffler off my '52 Chevy.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 SL400, BMW Z3, Datsun 280Z, a couple of jeep Grand Cherokee's - And a Commander Airplane
Turbo's

Originally Posted by SL550Dallas
This subject may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.
I took my SL550 to a performance shop today to talk about deleting the rear mufflers. I showed him the pictures from this forum with those mufflers deleted. He thought it was a really good job and way to do it.
He asked me a question that I did not know the answer to: He asked if I knew if the way the exhaust was routed through the turbos? He mentioned that some of the new cars use a routing that the turbos really act like a big muffler and removing the last resonator and the big muffler would make it louder, but not obnoxious. No idea what that means.
I know a couple people have done this muffler delete mod and I wonder if you are happy with it (not too loud) or if you had to do it again would you leave the forward resonator and just remove the mufflers?
TIA for any input and ideas.
Mark
Yes the exhaust is routed through the turbo - that is what a turbo is - a compressor which is driven by the exhaust gasses.
The turbo's do reduce exhaust noise quite a bit and I am sure the mufflers/exhaust system takes this in to account (meaning it was designed with this in mind)
I fly a turbocharged airplane which has no muffler, just an exhaust pipe because the turbo isolates that much of the noise so that one is not necessary.