SL/R231: Depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I guess all of our individual tastes are acquired over time. I remember drooling over a Ferrari 275GTS in the showroom of the Beverly Hills dealership. My buddy and I would drive up there at night and stand in front of the show windows, dreaming. By the time I could finally afford a Ferrari, I didn’t like any of the new ones. I want that GTS, but it is now priced into the stratosphere and I couldn’t drive it anyway. No shoulder belts, no airbags, no crumple zones, no collision warning, no automatic emergency braking—I won’t drive old cars anymore. What I would like, is a brand new GTS, that looks just like the original, but with modern everything! So, fast forward all those decades later and I’m still dreaming!

I thought then and still think today, that the GTS was the most beautiful sports car ever built.

Stream, I can't believe you like this car! The interior is exactly how Mercedes does theirs, not single color leather but a black dash/top of doors combined with a saddle'ish leather

Just kitting of course. Beautiful classic but like you I like the latest safety in a car and classics are out for me for that very reason.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,422 Likes on 1,949 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Stream, I can't believe you like this car! The interior is exactly how Mercedes does theirs, not single color leather but a black dash/top of doors combined with a saddle'ish leather

Just kitting of course. Beautiful classic but like you I like the latest safety in a car and classics are out for me for that very reason.
All cars are so fast today, even the cheapest little sub-compacts and so many people drive them on city streets like they are on a race course. Worse yet, are the monster pick-ups and SUV's, many of which are now getting into the hands of very young drivers, because their parents deem them to be very safe. Many of these kids have "no fear" and roar around in these things like they are driving little cars, not three ton behemoths. I may be paranoid, but it truly is a jungle out there on the streets and I feel that I need every safety feature I can get. I believe MB builds some of the safest cars on the road, which is a very big feather in their cap. The collision avoidance systems are invaluable to me as I get older. As much as I love that Ferrari, I would not want to drive it on public roads today. Since a nice one is around $1.5 million these days, deciding won't be one of my problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
rorywquin (03-13-2019), TennesseeZ4 (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
All cars are so fast today, even the cheapest little sub-compacts and so many people drive them on city streets like they are on a race course. Worse yet, are the monster pick-ups and SUV's, many of which are now getting into the hands of very young drivers, because their parents deem them to be very safe. Many of these kids have "no fear" and roar around in these things like they are driving little cars, not three ton behemoths. I may be paranoid, but it truly is a jungle out there on the streets and I feel that I need every safety feature I can get. I believe MB builds some of the safest cars on the road, which is a very big feather in their cap. The collision avoidance systems are invaluable to me as I get older. As much as I love that Ferrari, I would not want to drive it on public roads today. Since a nice one is around $1.5 million these days, deciding won't be one of my problems.
Not to mention all of the idiots on their phones texting.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I guess all of our individual tastes are acquired over time. I remember drooling over a Ferrari 275GTS in the showroom of the Beverly Hills dealership. My buddy and I would drive up there at night and stand in front of the show windows, dreaming. By the time I could finally afford a Ferrari, I didn’t like any of the new ones. I want that GTS, but it is now priced into the stratosphere and I couldn’t drive it anyway. No shoulder belts, no airbags, no crumple zones, no collision warning, no automatic emergency braking—I won’t drive old cars anymore. What I would like, is a brand new GTS, that looks just like the original, but with modern everything! So, fast forward all those decades later and I’m still dreaming!

I thought then and still think today, that the GTS was the most beautiful sports car ever built.
Totally agree with your mindset here. The value proposition in modern car particularly Mercedes if you are an enthusiast is off the charts compared to the big bucks classics. I think I would really like a used 911 but I've been there before and couldn't figure out why I would spend the money on one when for a lot cheaper the Mercedes was such a nicer car.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (03-15-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by bob55
It always makes more financial sense to buy MB's as CPO's (Certified Pre-Owned) than to buy one new. This is particularly true for higher end models like the SL Class, and the S-Class Coupe, Cabriolet, and Sedan. The greater the list price of the car, the greater the depreciation.will be.

My 2013 SL550 listed for more than $120K. I paid $44,900 when I bought it last year. Mint condition, with just !5K miles on it.

It was much the same story for the other (2) MB's in my garage....A 2006 CL55 AMG Coupe, and my wife's 2010 S-550 Sedan. Those were pristine, low mileage (CPO) purchases as well!

Can't see any justification for buying 'brand new' high-end MB's.
I agree on all but the CPO; I just picked up my eighth Benz (seventh used) and I don't recall a single repair that would have been covered.....

Also, if it weren't for depreciation I doubt I'd ever had been able to drive these cars. My "new" R231 is under warranty until October and cost me about as much as new C Class.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Depends what you want - I didn't want to wait a couple of years to get a good price on the facelift R231 and was able to specify exactly the car I wanted and collect it, with me as the first driver and that lovely brand new car smell and appearance.

I was lucky - my car cost me £63,000 but list price (on the MB configurator) was ~ £83,000 with all the addons I opted for. At the time, 12 to 18 month old pre-facelift models were being advertised at what I paid for my new car. So I paid a CPO price for a brand new car and got exactly what I wanted when I wanted it.

My previous drive was a R172 SLK350 which I bought used as a dealer demo (2012 model purchased in 2013) and also got a sweet deal! However those cars in Australia (where I was living at the time) are crazy expensive (luxury car taxes and other nonsense) and I paid about the equivalent of US$ 93,000 - it had all the options but still a lot of money..
Old 03-20-2019, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by rorywquin
My previous drive was a R172 SLK350 which I bought used as a dealer demo (2012 model purchased in 2013) and also got a sweet deal! However those cars in Australia (where I was living at the time) are crazy expensive (luxury car taxes and other nonsense) and I paid about the equivalent of US$ 93,000 - it had all the options but still a lot of money..
Rory: does the R231 feel substantially roomier than the R172? That would be my assumption, but I never bothered to even sit in an SLK during my search.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Depends what you want - I didn't want to wait a couple of years to get a good price on the facelift R231 and was able to specify exactly the car I wanted and collect it, with me as the first driver and that lovely brand new car smell and appearance.

I was lucky - my car cost me £63,000 but list price (on the MB configurator) was ~ £83,000 with all the addons I opted for. At the time, 12 to 18 month old pre-facelift models were being advertised at what I paid for my new car. So I paid a CPO price for a brand new car and got exactly what I wanted when I wanted it.

So, Rory, I know we are separated by an ocean and a common language, but what’s your secret to obtaining a 24%+ discount on an ordered car? We would all really like to know.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
So, Rory, I know we are separated by an ocean and a common language, but what’s your secret to obtaining a 24%+ discount on an ordered car? We would all really like to know.
I really don't know why / how - I think they have a huge mark up and perhaps my timing was lucky. I believe there are people in the USA that have also negotiated good discounts.

I can show you copies of correspondence, invoices and specification to prove my statements.

We have an online company here called Carwow. Basically you register, spec your car on Carwow - it goes to a bunch of subscribing dealers and they make you offers. I took my best Carwow offer to my local dealer (not on Carwow) and they matched it. I was working in the Middle East at the time and actually think I could have got a better deal if I'd spent more time haggling.

I had been looking at a one year old and bracing myself to wait for a one year old facelift and when the offer came through, it was a no-brainer.

Last edited by rorywquin; 03-20-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Rory: does the R231 feel substantially roomier than the R172? That would be my assumption, but I never bothered to even sit in an SLK during my search.
The SL is much roomier and has more storage. All together a different proposition.

I was going to buy myself a SLK 55 in the UK but my wife found our SLK350 too small and uncomfortable (she is a petite woman but had to have her handbag under her feet) - it was her idea to "get something bigger". We do long trips in ours (also did in the SLK350 in Oz) and the SL is pure luxury by comparison.

Last edited by rorywquin; 03-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.
eddieo45 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really don't know why / how - I think they have a huge mark up and perhaps my timing was lucky. I believe there are people in the USA that have also negotiated good discounts.

I can show you copies of correspondence, invoices and specification to prove my statements.

We have an online company here called Carwow. Basically you register, spec your car on Carwow - it goes to a bunch of subscribing dealers and they make you offers. I took my best Carwow offer to my local dealer (not on Carwow) and they matched it. I was working in the Middle East at the time and actually think I could have got a better deal if I'd spent more time haggling.

I had been looking at a one year old and bracing myself to wait for a one year old facelift and when the offer came through, it was a no-brainer.
OK, perhaps I misunderstood you. You found a car to your specs in dealer inventory, you did not place a special order, right? And, your transaction took place in the Middle East, not in the UK?
Old 03-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

OK, perhaps I misunderstood you. You found a car to your specs in dealer inventory, you did not place a special order, right? And, your transaction took place in the Middle East, not in the UK?
UK. There have been several members that received unbelievable discounts on the facelift SL models there. There must have been a corporate push to move some metal. Great for the lucky recipients of a great deal and car!
rorywquin (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by branmin
Always liked new cars and I know many here have stated that they get such a good deal if one looks around for a used car with low mileage. Think I am beginning to see why after finding out that my 2013, great condition with 60K and virtually fully loaded is only worth around 33K max!!! WTF! Had no idea. That's serious depreciation. Not too enamored with the latest news of the 2020 SL being a 2+2 and cloth top and as some of you know have been waiting and waiting to see the new shape. Can I wait this out only to perhaps be disappointed? Hate black dashboards and so have limited choice with MB and now thinking of the GT as love the lines of the front(not so much the back) but again because my wife has broken her back, sure it wont be as comfortable as the SL550. Decisions. I just see nothing out there that has the comfort and style of our cars and with the looks but like another poster(streamlined?) has mentioned, Mercedes color choices for interior/trim and exterior are seriously lacking and I also want ABC! Bentley..too big, don't need huge seats in the back and dont like the front grill. Aston, not me..Ferrari, how comfortable?
What else is there? Still have my 05 customized Vette with 9K on the clock, so if I want to rip it, will do, but now want style, acceleration when needed but above all smooth ride with all the trimmings inside..Gone off point here a bit, I know, sorry.
I couldn't care less about depreciation because I buy used or CPO all the time. I am glad to see that you saw the light Enjoy the SL as they are one of the finest cars around. Do not worry about getting rid of it. If you like new cars all the time then lease? Or buy used and trade in every couple of years and forget the value lol. Either way you just have to pay to play lol.
rorywquin (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
I feel your pain, my '16 SL lost 50% in 2 years. I bought an '18 911 GTS Cab. and am enjoying driving again.I also have a '15 ML that I'll be lucky to get $20k for.
Porsche 911 tends to hold value pretty well. My 996 911 I sold with 80k miles and the price was close to $30,000. Not bad for lower end 911 C4. My F355 Ferrari has not gone up much in value at all. None of the F355's have. Not that I care since I am just driving it for enjoyment. I have dividend stocks and real estate that makes me money Cars are for enjoyment. If you get a return then thats just a bonus.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by bob55
It always makes more financial sense to buy MB's as CPO's (Certified Pre-Owned) than to buy one new. This is particularly true for higher end models like the SL Class, and the S-Class Coupe, Cabriolet, and Sedan. The greater the list price of the car, the greater the depreciation.will be.

My 2013 SL550 listed for more than $120K. I paid $44,900 when I bought it last year. Mint condition, with just !5K miles on it.

It was much the same story for the other (2) MB's in my garage....A 2006 CL55 AMG Coupe, and my wife's 2010 S-550 Sedan. Those were pristine, low mileage (CPO) purchases as well!

Can't see any justification for buying 'brand new' high-end MB's.
CL's for sure! My 2006 CL600 Was over $120,000 when new. With under 30,000 miles I paid about $45,000. I always say that CPO is the way to go!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Porsche 911 tends to hold value pretty well. My 996 911 I sold with 80k miles and the price was close to $30,000. Not bad for lower end 911 C4. My F355 Ferrari has not gone up much in value at all. None of the F355's have. Not that I care since I am just driving it for enjoyment. I have dividend stocks and real estate that makes me money Cars are for enjoyment. If you get a return then thats just a bonus.
That's exactly it. This is for the enjoyment of it all and for me, safety. Cars are money pits; I don't care if new or used.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
C280 Sport (03-20-2019), rorywquin (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
At some point, it comes down to more than just dollars and cents. I agree, CPO cars can be a hell of a bargain. However, there is something about ordering a brand new car and having it delivered just as you want it. Some folks will say it is throwing money away to buy new, while others, such as myself, will say that having a new car is a special experience and to get it, you have to pay to play. I’ve got a 2019 SL450 on order right now, which is supposed to arrive in May. I may keep it for many years—as I did with my 2004 SL500, that I kept for 12 years—or I might trade it next year for a 2020, if they offer some wonderful new color (fat chance), or I might go for the new 2021 model, I just don’t know. What I do know, is that I’m not getting any younger, you can’t take it with you, I’m like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for this new car and I can’t wait.

You know, I’ve had going on 65 brand new cars over my lifetime. “Lost” a ton of money on them, one might say, but I wear a Seiko watch that I have had for 25 years that I paid $135.00 for. Some folks spend their money one way, others spend it another way. All that matters is what you value and some of us value brand new cars.

Aw hell, I’m going to post another rendering of it, sorry, I just like looking at it.

I think also what separates buying a new car and then Buying a New Car is the experience of something like a high end car like MB, BMW, Porsche, ect that you can actually customize yourself. Buying a new Honda Accord is a pi$$ poor excuse to buy a new car. My sister in law just did and thats all we have been listening to about for the last week about how it is brand new.... But the thing is that it just sits on the lot and you walk into the dealer and say i want that one. Here you go brand new car. There is no anticipation of the car or factory delivery or European Delivery Program. Hell other then the color there is no way to even customize it lol. Not that I would ever buy another new MB or new car but with high end cars like the SL I can see the reason why someone would. Enjoy your SL it looks great.
rorywquin (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
No - I ordered in the UK, to my specs, for delivery in the UK. I had to wait 3 months for delivery from Germany. I was working in the ME but knew that I'd be retiring and ordered my car delivery to co-incide with my retirement date. They actually got it in 2 weeks before I wanted it and stored it for me - as it turned out, there were changes in the road tax rules and registering the car a couple of weeks earlier saved me a couple of 1000 in taxes.

Now that I think about it, I've been lucky with this car! Long may it continue.

Last edited by rorywquin; 03-20-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I think also what separates buying a new car and then Buying a New Car is the experience of something like a high end car like MB, BMW, Porsche, ect that you can actually customize yourself. Buying a new Honda Accord is a pi$$ poor excuse to buy a new car. My sister in law just did and thats all we have been listening to about for the last week about how it is brand new.... But the thing is that it just sits on the lot and you walk into the dealer and say i want that one. Here you go brand new car. There is no anticipation of the car or factory delivery or European Delivery Program. Hell other then the color there is no way to even customize it lol. Not that I would ever buy another new MB or new car but with high end cars like the SL I can see the reason why someone would. Enjoy your SL it looks great.
Have to say - I was looking at mine today and realised that sometimes, I just don't appreciate what a beautiful car it is. We tend to take them for granted.

It is due for some serious TLC. Tomorrow will order a water filter for a spot free rinse and now need to decide on a DIY ceramic coating.