SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: ‘17 SL450 w/ABC on eBay today in FL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
And just for you Streamliner....

Here's a short Video of a 2018 SL65 AMG in the new Brilliant Blue you like!!
(2018 was the final year for the magnificent SL 65 AMG V12)

Last edited by bob55; 04-28-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,982 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Late model SL65's have been snapped up since the announcement of the discontinuation unfortunately. The resale value will continue to be an issue but these are phenomenal cars. Personally I wouldn't consider a pre-facelift model as I prefer the looks the 2017+. There are only 4 or so available in the country. There is one in San Diego that could be an option for a test drive but personally I still the one in Atlanta the best.
Btw, I originally had a GTC roadster scheduled to come from RBM in Atlanta and someone snapped it up just before shipment to Mpls. I spoke to them in length and they are receiving a lot of low milage MBUS headquarters executive cars that get prepped and sold. MBUSA is just a few miles away. Untitled cars with miles.
That said, the market for $150k used cars like this is tiny...
Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Late model SL65's have been 'snapped up' since the announcement of the discontinuation unfortunately. The resale value will continue to be an issue but these are phenomenal cars. Personally I wouldn't consider a pre-facelift model as I prefer the looks the 2017+. There are only 4 or so available in the country. There is one in San Diego that could be an option for a test drive but personally I still the one in Atlanta the best.
Btw, I originally had a GTC roadster scheduled to come from RBM in Atlanta and someone snapped it up just before shipment to Mpls. I spoke to them in length and they are receiving a lot of low milage MBUS headquarters executive cars that get prepped and sold. MBUSA is just a few miles away. Untitled cars with miles.
That said, the market for $150K used cars like the SL65 AMG is 'tiny'...
The last sentence of your post says it all, which is why the 2014 Palladium Silver SL65 AMG currently offered at $83K in the Van Nuys listing below looks so damn good!...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

When compared with this ($150K) listing for a 2017 SL65 AMG shown below:

Certainly the last of the SL Class V12's are 'Collectibles' now and are likely to be considered even more 'special' to 'MB Collectors' as time goes by...

I envy those who can afford to driver one, because for most of us,the SL 65 AMG is still an out-of-reach 'Dream Car'. Even if purchased used at a great price, this 'Super Car' V12 SL will likely cost considerably more to maintain after the factory warranty has expired! .

Last edited by bob55; 04-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bob55
The last sentence of your post says it all, which is why the 2014 Palladium Silver SL65 AMG currently offered at $83K in the Van Nuys listing below looks so damn good!...

When compared with this ($150K) listing for a 2017 SL65 AMG shown below:

Well, it depends. The SL65's are fine cars which I truly like; we previously had a SL600 V12TT which used an earlier version of the same engine, but few people in the used market can stomach the ongoing depreciation. That 2014 will end up in the $40k range and only some DIY'ers will dare touch it. No matter how reliable they are, people are unnecessarily worried.

The R231 used the latest version of the V12TT (M279) that doesn't have some of the same issues as the prior ones (ignition coils, etc.) Lovely engine
The newer models fetch more as they are covered under warranty (and can be extended). Getting a third party warranty for a used SL65 is damn near impossible...
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Streamliner....FYI...

I was told by a good Buddy of mine, (an MB Enthusiast currently living in Scottsdale who has been tracking late model SL65's), that the Palladium Silver Metallic SL 65 AMG currently available for sale in Van Nuys was actually the 'personal car' of Mr Keyes himself, (The Owner of the (Van Nuys) Keyes MB Dealership). It was described to him as being the 'cleanest' used MB at the Keyes MB Dealership and is now listed for $147K less than when the car was new!

That's just 'Mind Blowing Depreciation' for a 'mint condition'' 231 SL 65 AMG when you stop and think about it!

However, at least whomever does end up buying this car will sleep much better knowing that it was 'someone else' who took that 'huge depreciation hit', and not him!...

(I am guessing the info above also explains why the CarFax shows a 'Corporate Ownership').

Sounds like you're expecting the new SL450 you ordered very soon now, but should you wish to 'take a last minute peek', (for comparison purposes), at the nearby Van Nuys SL65 AMG before finalizing your SL450 deal, the SL 65's complete service history can be made available by that MB Dealership. (A copmplete top-to-bottom service was recently done to prep the car for sale. (The Service Date was 4/19/2019).

The first owner of this SL65 AMG has taken the huge depreciation hit, but if the car is still in 'like new' condition this may be the better 'value proposition' for you verses going forward with the brand new SL450 where you would be the one incurring the initial 50% depreciation hit during the first (2) years of ownership.g brand new! (Just a thought since you seem to like SL65 AMG's).

Good luck with your next SL purchase!

Last edited by bob55; 05-01-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Streamliner...FYI...

I was told by a good Buddy of mine, (an MB Enthusiast currently living in Scottsdale), that the Palladium Silver Metallic SL 65 AMG currently available for sale in Van Nuys was actually the 'personal car' of Mr Keyes himself, (The Owner of the Van Nuys Keyes MB Dealership). It was described as being the 'cleanest' used MB at the Keyes MB Dealership and is now listed for $147K less than when this car was new! That's just 'mind blowing depreciation' for a 'mint' 231 SL 65 AMG when you stop and think about it! However, at least whomever ends up buying this car will sleep much better knowing that it was 'someone else' who took the huge depreciation hit, and not him!...

(I am guessing the info above also explains why the CarFax shows a 'Corporate Ownership').

Sounds like you're expecting the new SL450 you ordered very soon now, but should you wish to 'take a last minute peek', (for comparison purposes), at the nearby Van Nuys SL65 AMG before finalizing your SL450 deal, the SL 65's complete service history can be made available by that MB Dealership.

Good luck with your next SL purchase!
That depreciation is actually not bad after 5 years and 25k miles. The other SL65 we discussed in Livermoore belonged to a fellow forum member. 2017 model. Barely 2 years old with only 3300 miles. Lost $111k. Now that is mind-blowing depreciation
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That depreciation is actually not bad after 5 years and 25k miles. The other SL65 we discussed in Livermoore belonged to a fellow forum member. 2017 model. Barely 2 years old with only 3300 miles. Lost $111k. Now that is mind-blowing depreciation
Below are links to (3) 2017 SL65 AMG Examples, ( including the one you mentioned Wolf! Just click on the links to view the listings and see pics!

So does having such a high rate of depreciation make the most expensive SL65 AMG actually a 'better bargain' as a 'used' car as compared to the other SL Class models which costs less? Those lesser SL's also have a high rate of depreciation. I bought my own 'mint' 231 with 15K miles for roughly 1/3 of what it costs new, so it sure felt like a great deal' to me!

Several ways to look at the effect of depreciation I suppose! Certainly it's bad for the new Buyers, but perhaps a very good thing for used MB Buyers like me! So given that, what's your take on depreciation? Anyone else care to comment?

Last edited by bob55; 04-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

So does having such a high rate of depreciation make the most expensive SL65 AMG actually a 'better bargain' as a 'used' car as compared to the other SL Class models which costs less? Those lesser SL's also have a high rate of depreciation. I bought my own 'mint' 231 with 15K miles for roughly 1/3 of what it costs new, so it sure felt like a great deal' to me!
It's up to each person what they consider a better bargain. Depreciation by Dollar or by percentage... Most people buying used feel they get a bargain because they compare the price to a new car but that value proposition can be argued. Buying used simply means that a car is purchased within the depreciation cycle. Less money sure, but the percentage of depreciation is similar.
A SL65 looses 50% in 2-3 years, is then purchased used and then looses another 50% in another 3 years.

Cars are money pits. Simple as that. People simply pick where in that depreciation cycle they feel most comfortable.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 917 Likes on 604 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
“A SL65 looses 50% in 2-3 years, is then purchased used and then looses another 50% in another 3 years.”

I’d love to pick up a 6 year old SL65 for free!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 SL 450
Unfortunately, that's not how the math works. It's 50% depreciation on the price the second purchaser paid.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's up to each person what they consider a better bargain. Depreciation by Dollar or by percentage... Most people buying used feel they get a bargain because they compare the price to a new car but that value proposition can be argued. Buying used simply means that a car is purchased within the depreciation cycle. Less money sure, but the percentage of depreciation is similar.
A SL65 looses 50% in 2-3 years, is then purchased used and then looses another 50% in another 3 years.

Cars are money pits. Simple as that. People pick just where in the depreciation cycle they feel the 'most comfortable'.
Indeed, For at the end of the day, it's about getting 'the most car for your money', and not 'overspending' for a rapidly depreciating asset...And that's precisely why I feel 'most comfortable' letting 'someone else' take at least that 'initial 50%' depreciation hit!

I've been driving MB's since 1986, but stopped buying these cars as 'brand new' after 1996. Since then, I've always been able to find beautiful, clean, late model, low mileage MB's on the used market, which has saved me a ton of money! Of course, living in South Florida certainly helps, as there always seems to be a good selection here!

So IMO, from both a 'financial' and a 'value' point of view, (and also assuming the 'right MB' is available in your area), CPO is the way to go!...

Last edited by bob55; 05-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 141 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Indeed, For at the end of the day, it's about getting 'the most car for your money', and not 'overspending' for a rapidly depreciating asset...And that's precisely why I feel 'most comfortable' letting 'someone else' take at least that 'initial 50%' depreciation hit!

I've been driving MB's since 1986, but stopped buying these cars as 'brand new' after 1996. Since then, I've always been able to find beautiful, clean, late model, low mileage MB's on the used market, which has saved me a ton of money! Of course, living in South Florida certainly helps, as there always seems to be a good selection here!

So IMO, from both a 'financial' and a 'value' point of view, (and also assuming the 'right MB' is available in your area), CPO is the way to go!...
My SL is my 8th MB in about 15 years, most purchased about 3 years old with some warranty left. My wife's C300 is an exception: traded her W211 for the W205 brand new because (a) I never liked the W204 (or any of the other models in that "family) and (b) I loved the W205 right out of the gate. I felt like we got an excellent deal and it represented an opportunity to drive a car that would look "new" for many years (still does; barely any exterior changes in the 2019 facelift).

As for CPO I feel the same way about that as I did about the $1600 extended warranty on that C300: I had owned 6 MBs at that point, driving all past the end of warranty, and I didn't spend $1600 TOTAL on all 6 for any repairs that would have been covered by it. They're damn good cars and as long as I can document that it was serviced properly I don't need CPO. (Buying former lease cars pretty much guarentees that....)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Buying used or CPO is great, just like leasing or buying new. Different people, different priorities. There is not one right choice.

The only issue is that of awareness. Countless people on the R230 forum *****ing about ABC, just because they were able to buy cars for less than they should have cost with complete disregard to potential maintenance and repair costs...

V12's are very reliable engines but have had higher maintenance costs associated with the very large, heavy and torquey engines. Same with AMG's. CCB's for example are fantastic brakes and last easily 60k miles but a set of rotors/pads will set you back $15K, $25k on Porsches. If someone spend $50k on a 6 year old SL65; a brake job can put them under. Motor mounts? $3k since the engine has to be pulled. Doesn't make the car less reliable; each service just costs more.
The following users liked this post:
SLclass (05-02-2019)