SL/R231: vario roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
GT C Roadster
vario roof problem

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me on a vario roof diagnostic. My 2013 SL 550 has 40k miles and I have been having roof problems for about a year. Dealer can't find the fix. When the car sits in the sun and I walk up to it- I can't open the trunk or use the key fob or trunk release to open trunk. I have to start car, and I get message that vario roof isn't closed. I use the switch in the arm rest to either lower it or complete the cycle and it works fine. I don't have the issue when car is in garage in the am or on cool/cloudy days. any advice?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WC550SL
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me on a vario roof diagnostic. My 2013 SL 550 has 40k miles and I have been having roof problems for about a year. Dealer can't find the fix. When the car sits in the sun and I walk up to it- I can't open the trunk or use the key fob or trunk release to open trunk. I have to start car, and I get message that vario roof isn't closed. I use the switch in the arm rest to either lower it or complete the cycle and it works fine. I don't have the issue when car is in garage in the am or on cool/cloudy days. any advice?
This sounds like a roof or mechanism switch. It's fairly easy to imagine why temperature makes a difference .These are small contact switches and if just barely making contact the heat expansion can change things just enough to stop working.
Key is to get the error messages recorded to point to the source of the issue. Roof errors don't always get recorded it seems but a dealer should be able to recreate the issue. Maybe time to switch dealers if this is going on for a year?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:21 PM

GT C Roadster
Thanks, I will flag it, and yes I agree about switching, but they have to cover it under the work order I have already paid them for, so before I start paying a new dealer I want to exhaust all options with this one.

thanks again
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 AM

GT C Roadster
What tool does the delta use to test the switches/look for error codes? The service rep is saying there is no diagnostic tool for roof issues but I find it hard to believe