SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Im so torn...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Im so torn...

Well i got past the fact that I love the looks of the E53 convertible (E series in general the coupe is awesome too) but while its a VERY nice car and to me looks better to me than the SL- the SL just brings so much more to the table- lower, smaller, better handling, hard top convertible, better seats, weighs less and extremely exclusive. The SL is best of both worlds- very cool boulevard cruiser and a very competent back road blaster.

BUT now I'm torn part 2:

I have found SL 550 with ABC and no Burmester sound system- I have had two BMWs with the Logic 7 and both have sucked- assuming the L7 in the Mercedes sucks too.
But also have found numerous SL 450s (Preferred) without ABC but WITH Burmester upgrade.
Every review I have read or seen is all over the 450 and I would be too - lighter weight better handling and with the top down- a better sound system for a CONVERTIBLE just makes sense to me.
I live in the Hill Country of Texas where the ideal would be 450 with ABC but 450 with ABC is a rare bird as you all know... but also every review I have seen or read still loves the handling WITHOUT ABC (Cant be that shabby can it- it is after all an SL) But the 550 has more power- I LOVE V8s and HAS ABC option.

The 450s I found are Merc CPO- the 550 is not- both have the same amount of miles 13-16k both are 2017s and still have some factory warranty. (But the 450s I have found are CPO)
Both are colors I like so thats not a problem either

Soooo 550 with ABC and decent sound system or 450 with no ABC and (Much?) better sound system- oh and of course the 450s are about 15k less. If I get the 450 I have 4k extra to get it lowered a bit. They do have too much wheel gap and are higher than ABC equipped models- so will be about 10k less after the lowering and adding 10-15mm spacers. I think after that the 450 would look even better than the 550.

I know its what you want the car for ... and for me I want it all! LOL I have an F150 as my daily grind and the SL will be replacing my S550 coupe (That I love but just not a back road hauler- more of an interstate killer) as my weekend car. The SL is a mini S..

Thanks for the help from you who OWN these cars in varying configurations.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I won't start the ABC wars all over again, as everyone knows where I stand. Same goes for the 450 vs. the 550.

Many have said that they feel that the B&O sound system just wasn't that much better than the HK in the SL. Unfortunately, they both need enhancement to get decent sound, if you are not using a DVD-Audio disc or listening to some FM HD stations. So, if you can find the SL you want with everything but the B&O, I'd go for it and then have the audio system worked on.

My suggestion is to order the new car, just the way you want it. All dealers have open SL slots and I just cannot believe that you cannot get a sensational deal on a new car. I know the arguments against it, but for such a special car, in what may be the final model year, isn't it just too good of an opportunity to pass up??? You only live once, GO FOR IT!

Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Dino333
Well i got past the fact that I love the looks of the E53 convertible (E series in general the coupe is awesome too) but while its a VERY nice car and to me looks better to me than the SL- the SL just brings so much more to the table- lower, smaller, better handling, hard top convertible, better seats, weighs less and extremely exclusive. The SL is best of both worlds- very cool boulevard cruiser and a very competent back road blaster.

BUT now I'm torn part 2:

I have found SL 550 with ABC and no Burmester sound system- I have had two BMWs with the Logic 7 and both have sucked- assuming the L7 in the Mercedes sucks too.
But also have found numerous SL 450s (Preferred) without ABC but WITH Burmester upgrade.
Every review I have read or seen is all over the 450 and I would be too - lighter weight better handling and with the top down- a better sound system for a CONVERTIBLE just makes sense to me.
I live in the Hill Country of Texas where the ideal would be 450 with ABC but 450 with ABC is a rare bird as you all know... but also every review I have seen or read still loves the handling WITHOUT ABC (Cant be that shabby can it- it is after all an SL) But the 550 has more power- I LOVE V8s and HAS ABC option.

The 450s I found are Merc CPO- the 550 is not- both have the same amount of miles 13-16k both are 2017s and still have some factory warranty. (But the 450s I have found are CPO)
Both are colors I like so thats not a problem either

Soooo 550 with ABC and decent sound system or 450 with no ABC and (Much?) better sound system- oh and of course the 450s are about 15k less. If I get the 450 I have 4k extra to get it lowered a bit. They do have too much wheel gap and are higher than ABC equipped models- so will be about 10k less after the lowering and adding 10-15mm spacers. I think after that the 450 would look even better than the 550.

I know its what you want the car for ... and for me I want it all! LOL I have an F150 as my daily grind and the SL will be replacing my S550 coupe (That I love but just not a back road hauler- more of an interstate killer) as my weekend car. The SL is a mini S..

Thanks for the help from you who OWN these cars in varying configurations.
Personally, the last thing I would do is ask anyone for an opinion. Just drive all cars and see which one you like the best. But since you asked here is my biased opinion...

1. Sound system vs ABC. Seriously? Without a question ABC. ABC greatly improves the handling of the car and it also masks the extra weight of the SL550 which happens to be only about 130lbs more. You can't retrofit ABC but you can upgrade a stereo for little money. The B&O sound system (no Burmester in the SL) is also not fantastic, so a custom system will yield better results.
2. Who cares for reviews when they are not based on the cars you are actually considering? We have driven the 6 cylinder SL's for thousands of miles in Europe in a variety of conditions/speeds and while it is a fantastic top down cruiser, the SL550 w.ABC is a better car. Strongly recommend MY17+ for 9 speed
3. Lowering a car with ABC costs a fraction of lowering a car on springs. In fact if you want to lower the car, only a car with ABC makes sense as the ride quality doesn't suffer if used with a lowering module. Lowered springs are harsh and not adjustable. For that you need coil overs or adjustable springs like KW HAS.
You don't even need align the car with an ELM. And the height is adjustable for each wheel in 1mm increments.
4. If purchased from a MB dealer, you can request to have a non-CPO car CPO'd. Drive it and if you like it tell them you buy it if CPO'd...
5. The E-Class cab/coupe is a great looking car but to me a step down from the SL. Body-wise, the SL is a better convertible with its rigid aluminum/composite body; the E-Class body engineering is not at that level. You get more LED/Screen glitz on the E but the leather interior is better on the SL if exclusive Nappa was selected (dirt cheap). SL seats are better as well. The SL550 is also quite a bit faster than the E53.
6. The SL is a much better top down car. 4 seat convertibles are inherently inferior due to the air flows around/over/into the cabin. Even with the AirCap engaged there is more of a draft coming down the center console. Most important, with the top down, that car reminds me of a bathtub

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dino333 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
OT but reading about the SL550 with ABC made me think of our old SL and did a quick VIN check to find out what happened to the car. Found out the car was sold at auction to MB St.Charles, IL and sold in a week for $80k as a CPO. Well above the residual with roughly 35% depreciation. Not bad...
Hope the next owner enjoys her as much as we did.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Personally, the last thing I would do is ask anyone for an opinion. Just drive all cars and see which one you like the best. But since you asked here is my biased opinion...

1. Sound system vs ABC. Seriously? Without a question ABC. ABC greatly improves the handling of the car and it also masks the extra weight of the SL550 which happens to be only about 130lbs more. You can't retrofit ABC but you can upgrade a stereo for little money. The B&O sound system (no Burmester in the SL) is also not fantastic, so a custom system will yield better results.
2. Who cares for reviews when they are not based on the cars you are actually considering? We have driven the 6 cylinder SL's for thousands of miles in Europe in a variety of conditions/speeds and while it is a fantastic top down cruiser, the SL550 w.ABC is a better car. Strongly recommend MY17+ for 9 speed
3. Lowering a car with ABC costs a fraction of lowering a car on springs. In fact if you want to lower the car, only a car with ABC makes sense as the ride quality doesn't suffer if used with a lowering module. Lowered springs are harsh and not adjustable. For that you need coil overs or adjustable springs like KW HAS.
You don't even need align the car with an ELM. And the height is adjustable for each wheel in 1mm increments.
4. If purchased from a MB dealer, you can request to have a non-CPO car CPO'd. Drive it and if you like it tell them you buy it if CPO'd...
5. The E-Class cab/coupe is a great looking car but to me a step down from the SL. Body-wise, the SL is a better convertible with its rigid aluminum/composite body; the E-Class body engineering is not at that level. You get more LED/Screen glitz on the E but the leather interior is better on the SL if exclusive Nappa was selected (dirt cheap). SL seats are better as well. The SL550 is also quite a bit faster than the E53.
6. The SL is a much better top down car. 4 seat convertibles are inherently inferior due to the air flows around/over/into the cabin. Even with the AirCap engaged there is more of a draft coming down the center console. Most important, with the top down, that car reminds me of a bathtub
I cant disagree with any of that...
Except in such a small car upgrading or adding audio components can be problematic? And I dont want ANYONE taking the doors apart to add better speakers- maybe amps up the footwell?
Good sound is kind of a priority to me. The Burmester on my S550 IS a better system and sounds great-. I have read up some on the B&O and it doesn't get the best of reviews...
Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
SL550
Go for an SL550 with ABC. First off, The E53 hasn't gotten too many good reviews, and it seems to be a bit too pricy. The Burmester audio is pretty much equal to the HK audio, and ABC is an absolute must. Plus, you get a cool V8!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,440 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
SL over the E all day. Not even close, different level. I agree with Streamliner and Wolfman' s commentary. Spot on.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (07-15-2019)