SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: OK HERE IS A CAR BUYING DISASTER STORY YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
No. The chrome from the Special Edition SL's air intakes would fit as that is a regular SL bumper
Pity, unless there are replacement parts available just for the Special Edition. Thought they would add some flair to a Selenite Gray front end.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
The side strip will work. The front bottom splitter will not.
I guess I gotta go big or not at all LOL
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
[QUOTE=Streamliner;7854667]
Originally Posted by bob55
'Think Twice' before buying, (or building), 'Mighty Mice'./QUOTE]

To be a poser, IMO, one MUST replace the model designation with one from a more expensive or higher performance model. Like if I were to badge my SL450 as a 550 or a 63 or 65, which I have no intention of doing.

Here’s a last photo before surgery. Ceramic Brakes go on tomorrow.
The actual definition of 'poser' is 'subjective', and debatable to say the very least...You've chosen the most narrow definition possible, but seems to me, (as the owner of a 'genuine' CL55 AMG), there could easily be a lot more to it than just the rear deck badge....

Furthermore, nothing said was specific to your car or it's mods. The (2) Brilliant Blue Florida Cars currently offered for sale here in South Florida have been my primary topic of discussion throughout this thread, and aside from those, very I have spoken only in very general terms with regarding posers.

I do concede that 'for the sake of convenience', I called the Florida CPO cars that are still currently for sale 'Blue Mighty Mice' simply because they are SL450's with SL65 alloy wheels, like yours. While you may have coined the term, MM is now familiar to all. Surely you don't think you are the one and only person allowed to use the words 'Mighty' or Mice' in describing a car, unless of course, you've somehow managed to 'trademark' those words.

If you did take what was said 'personally', that was a mistake by you, not by me!

As for 'Thinking Twice',....As stated in an earlier Post, 'any major expenditure' is well worth a 2nd thought, (perhaps even a 3rd or 4th one!). Obviously, Dino's experience has made that point abundantly clear already, so I shall offer no apologies for posting the reminder.

Good luck with the aftermarket ceramic brakes installation!

Last edited by bob55; 09-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
[QUOTE=bob55;7855179]
Originally Posted by Streamliner

The definition of 'poser' is subjective to say the very least...your definition is very narrow. However, fact is taht nothing I said was specific to your car or it's mods, as the (2) Blue Florida Cars have been the SL450 topics of discussion.

I 'conveniently' called those 'Blue Mighty Mice' as they do happend to be SL450's with SL65 alloy wheels. Do you feel you are the only person allowed to use 'Mice' terminology? Apparently so, so if you took it so personally. However, that mistake is on you!

As for 'Think Twice',....As stated in an earlier Post, 'Any' major expenditure is worth a 2nd thought, and maybe even a 3rd or 4th.

Dino's experience makes that very clear!.. .
Well, I didn’t understand your post that I quoted and I don’t really understand this one. Let’s just leave it at that.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by allfortheunion
Pity, unless there are replacement parts available just for the Special Edition. Thought they would add some flair to a Selenite Gray front end.
You can order the special edition chrome strips if desired if I understand correctly.
The following users liked this post:
allfortheunion (09-16-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 SL 450, 2019 Volvo XC40
Hope no one got too attached to the one in Palm Beach -- the dealer tells me it "just sold," and helpfully let me know that, "We have plenty of other pre-loved, certified pre-loved vehicles, and even new models that are waiting to seek out your attention!" along with relevant links.

Fortunately, I have such faith in the inherent goodness of humanity that I'd never accuse a car dealer of a bait-and-switch. But, it *is* still listed on their site...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
The 450 it is more common not to have ABC as it is considered the budget version of the SL (albeit a great one), but 450's will not feature any $4k options on the car. Expensive options make the car less desirable to new car buyers.

In regards to any special editions; Mercedes has a talent to create expensive edition models that always lack key options, thus making them less desirable and as usual in the US, one cannot add any additional options to a special edition. The above SL's are a good example of beautiful cars that lack key options and thus are almost 'unsellable' at the price point.
Thanks for that update John Dietrich,..

Apparently those Brilliant Blue Florida Designo Edition SL450's weren't so "unsellable" after all, (despite not having the $4K ABC option)...

I noted that the 2nd one, (in Coral Gables), is no longer listed for sale on AutoTrader, so apparently it was also sold!

While I never expected these (2) 'special edition' CPO 'Blue Beauties' to last very long, I hope your post does not mean that you missed out on the opportunity to acquire either one. Certainly is very interesting to hear the WPB car has been sold since, as you mentioned, it's still listed for sale on AutoTrader! Perhaps someone from out of town has placed deposit, but hasn't yet visited the WPB Dealershiip to inspect the car and actually close the deal. That may explain why the Dealership hasn't yet taken down the AutoTrader listing.

:https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Last edited by bob55; 09-20-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
Besides the SL, I also own a 1968 Porsche 912 Soft Window Targa, and am a member of an on-line 912 group. One of the things I'm always reading is that when someone is interested in buying a 912 on the other side of the country, they'll ask members of the group if anyone lives near the car that they're interested in. If someone responds "Yes", they'll ask them if they'd be willing to visit the car and do a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection), either for free, or for some nominal sum of money, and then report back with what they've found and their impression as to the accuracy of the original advertisement for said vehicle. I've done two of these, one for a guy down south, and the second for a fellow in Sweden.

The benefit of having a PPI done, should be obvious after reading about the horrors put forth in this thread. With that in mind, what do you all think about possibly starting that type of service, for members, by members of this forrum? It might be a great way to save some time and/or airfare. Of course, if a PPI were done for me and the car was as advertised, I might still invest the time/$$ in checking it out myself. Just saying.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by bob55
Thanks for that update John Dietrich,..

Apparently those Brilliant Blue Florida Designo Editions weren't so "unsellable" after all, (despite not having an ABC option)...

(Note that the 3nd one, (in Coral Gables), is no longer listed for sale either, so apparently it has also been sold!

I never expected those (2) listings to last very long!

:https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Interesting that you feel the need of removing text out of my sentences...

I stated: In regards to any special editions; Mercedes has a talent to create expensive edition models that always lack key options, thus making them less desirable and as usual in the US, one cannot add any additional options to a special edition. The above SL's are a good example as is the S550 Concours.
Beautiful cars that lacks numerous key options and thus making it almost unsellable at the price point.

I was specifically referring to SL Special Editions and the S-Class Concours. Did I mention second or third hand used car sales here? I am referring to the sell-ability of these models in the new car showrooms where customers actually have to pay between the additional $15k to $30k for the special edition option package.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Wow, super interesting story. I've been chasing some of these trial production/pre production cars for a while now. I hate to ask, @Dino333 , but do you possibly remember the vin number of this car? I'm sorry about your awful experience, these are really cars to avoid. But darn they have good stories.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2014 SL550, 2022 Lexus RX450H
Smile

Originally Posted by .LMS.
My advice - get rid of the car, cut your losses.

Even if you get it fixed, everything that goes wrong later will keep reminding you of the nightmare, and it's just going to stress you out. Life is too sort - you (and lots of us), bought this car for fun and stress relief.

Although no one likes to do it, you sound like you're able to take the hit financially (forgive me if I'm overstepping). Call in the lawyers. Do it and move on and be happy.
I totally agree with LMS. I've been thru some similar car buying experiences in the past (not with such a high priced car though), and even though I got everything repaired (supposedly), every time even a minor issue arose, I kicked myself for not just selling the car form the start, taken the loss (expensive lesson), and move on. In your case, I'd first look into the laws in your state and in NH, consult with an attorney, and demand the dealer take the car back and return your money. It's going to cost you at least some attorney fees, but it's best for your peace of mind and stress relief to be done with this car and this debacle - asap.

FWIW - I purchased my 2014 SL550 this past May from Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach, CA without seeing it in person. I live in Pennsylvania, so not exactly convenient to go see it first. I had the salesperson take a ton of additional photos, including close ups, aside from the many photos that were already on their web site. They also provided a complete CarFax report. Plus, this was the original selling dealer (to both the original owner, and the 2nd owner. I'm the 3rd owner). They had performed most of the maintenance on it since new, so they were very familiar with the car and prior owners. I had previous interactions with this dealer a few years ago. We used to live in California, about 3 hours north of Newport Beach where Fletcher Jones is located. I almost purchased an SL from them about 5 years before, but backed out as the timing was just not right for us. They were very gracious. Still, even with that backstory, it's a big gamble purchasing sight unseen, as photos will usually not show the smaller stone chips or minor scratches, and it's pretty easy to dismiss differences in paint shade between body panels as due to the light or angle of the photo.

This dealer sells a lot of very high end cars all over the country, and uses the "Horseless Carriage" car carrier company. They transport higher end vehicles in enclosed tractor trailers, and cover any cars on the lower rack with plastic sheets to protect from any oil leaks, etc. (My car was on the top rack, so my baby was very safe from that concern). It arrived on time, with no issues. It was a long journey across the country, and even in an enclosed car carrier, anything can happen. Luckily, no problems with the carrier. FYI - The transport cost me $2400, which included full insurance coverage.

The car was exactly as the dealer and salesperson described. Absolutely mint condition, with just a couple of tiny, imperceptible stone chips on the hood (which I've since had touched up). I also noticed a stone chip and small crack in the corner of the windshield - in a spot that was not a visual concern and is almost unnoticeable. I called SafeLite and they gave me an estimate to repair of around $170. I notified my sales person and he had a check sent to me via overnight FEdEx. When I took the car to SafeLite, they told me it was an old stone chip that had already been repaired, and it was solid and stable. Nothing needed to be done. I offered to send a check back to the dealer, but they told me to keep it and take my wife out to dinner. (Very nice gesture). A month or so later, I discovered that one of the mechanical keys in my two key fobs did not work in my car. It was for some other Mercedes vehicle. Again, contacted my sales person. We were both kind of baffled how that could have happened, but no worries. He told me to take it to my local MB dealer and order a new mechanical key, and they would reimburse me. That was around $96, and once again they expedited a check to me. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach, CA.

Not that any of my story is of help to you, but I guess the point is there are reputable dealers out there that will honestly represent their cars. I'm surprised a Mercedes dealer was so deceptive with you. Not something you expect from a Mercedes dealer.

I hope you get a resolution that you are happy with, and can find the right SL for you. We love ours. and I'm sure you will too......eventually!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
SL 550 (2014) Kia Sorento (2016)
This thread is 3 years old. But I, like you, just finished reading it for the first time.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2014 SL550, 2022 Lexus RX450H
Originally Posted by Montreal300
This thread is 3 years old. But I, like you, just finished reading it for the first time.
Ooops! Thanks for pointing that out!