SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Soft Close Door Adjustment Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Soft Close Door Adjustment Help

Has anyone adjusted their door to achieve/maintain a flush fit to the rear quarter panel when the door is closed?

My drivers door sticks out very slightly when closed.

When soft close is activated it draws the door into a flush position then the motor release a bit and the door comes to rest slightly non-flush (sticking out) from the quarter panel.

The passenger door soft close works exactly the same way, i.e., it draws the door in and then releases it a bit, but the door is flush with the quarter panel.

It seems like a simple adjustment of the striker plate on the pillar, but I don’t want to touch it until I get more info.

Any thoughts, comments???

Thanks
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2013 SL550, 2017 GLE350, 2018 Audi Q3
My passenger door soft close stopped working, so I will be scheduling a trip to the dealer. Likewise, the passenger window auto-up frequently reaches the top and retreats halfway. I've reset the limits a few times, but it still acts up.

As for the door striker adjustment, I've never touched that. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Sl 550
Originally Posted by hornethandler
Has anyone adjusted their door to achieve/maintain a flush fit to the rear quarter panel when the door is closed?

When soft close is activated it draws the door into a flush position then the motor release a bit and the door comes to rest slightly non-flush (sticking out) from the quarter panel.

The passenger door soft close works exactly the same way, i.e., it draws the door in and then releases it a bit, but the door is flush with the quarter panel.

It seems like a simple adjustment of the striker plate on the pillar, but I don’t want to touch it until I get more info.

Thanks
Just move the striker plate in as much as your door is not closing flush. But first take some painters tape and go around the plate carefully so you can put it back to where it was before you adjust it if there is a problem. The soft close pulls the door in further than the striker plate and then releases it to the striker. So the end position is the striker plate.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Too bad that so many 231's have the 'soft close' option because MB 'soft close' doors have never been reliable over time and I would personally pass on that option if I was buying a new 231. This option is frequently the reason for a trip to the MB Dealership for a needed repair....

The 'actuators' within the door frame will fail after awhile, (often with a loud 'pop'). I have experienced this on multiple MB models including the SL 230 series. it's an expensive repair once the warranty has expired and a real pain in the you-know-what....

I should point out that 231's without the 'soft close' option have light-feeling doors that close very easily and smoothly with a nice soft 'thud', so in my opinion, the 'soft close door option' isn't worth it's cost to begin with, and certainly not worth the headaches of needed expensive repairs down the road....

Last edited by bob55; 10-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Thanks
Sounds like a simple adjustment. Bring it to the dealer, quick fix.

We have never had issues with our soft close door since we had it on the first on our W140 S-Class. That said. the first gen R231 SL went about the closing process slowly and had too fully close door and both windows until the doors could be locked. Always felt too long. That was improved on the facelift...
Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sounds like a simple adjustment. Bring it to the dealer, quick fix.

We have never had issues with our soft close door since we had it on the first on our W140 S-Class. That said. the first gen R231 SL went about the closing process slowly and had too fully close door and both windows until the doors could be locked. Always felt too long. That was improved on the facelift...
Yes, they work great on my 2019. Glad I got them.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 SL400
They came on the CPO car I bought. Meh.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Originally Posted by AtlasMiami
Just move the striker plate in as much as your door is not closing flush. But first take some painters tape and go around the plate carefully so you can put it back to where it was before you adjust it if there is a problem. The soft close pulls the door in further than the striker plate and then releases it to the striker. So the end position is the striker plate.
Thanks, AtlasMiami. As you suggested: I taped it off; however, I allowed the dealer to make the adjustment under warranty. They adjusted the striker plate and the tape allowed me to see exactly how much they moved it. It's now working-- and looking--as advertised.

Another question, though... If/when the soft close feature stops working, will the doors still close/latch manually?

Old 11-23-2019, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Thanks, AtlasMiami.
Another question, though... If/when the soft close feature stops working, will the doors still close/latch manually?
When it fails, you'll have to slam the door extra hard to make it latch. (MUCH harder than you would need to for a 231 without the soft close door option).

Having experienced this in the past, I'm pretty sure you'll want to get the soft close door feature fixed immediately once it fails!

Last edited by bob55; 11-23-2019 at 05:37 PM.