SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2013 Certified SL550 41 K mi. Should I the pull trigger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by mgmoreau
Had not thought about the rims and potholes. Great suggestion. I live in RI and commute to MA, we have tons of potholes! Question, do you have run flat tires on your car?

Thanks!
If you plan to drive your SL in temperatures below freezing you will need to use all season tires. The OEM tires are high performance summer tires that do not perform well in temperatures below freezing. I would not drive in snow without snow tires. My dealer replaced the tires on my '15 during the CPO process. They installed a new set of OEM spec Continental ContSportContact 5P SSR. The SSR reflects that they are Self Supporting Runflats capable of supporting the car without air and driven for up to 50 miles at speeds up to 55 mph. I am relatively happy with these tires but will not drive the car in temps below 32 degrees F.

Here is a description from TireRack:

The ContiSportContact 5P SSR (Self Supporting Runflat) is Continental Tire's Max Performance Summer run-flat tire designed to provide temporary extended mobility in case of complete air loss due to a puncture. Tires in sizes used for staggered fitments are optimized to meet the specific performance requirements of front or rear axle positions.* The ContiSportContact 5P SSR is designed to deliver steering precision, cornering stability and short stopping distances in dry and wet conditions, However, like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

ContiSportContact 5P SSR tires permit drivers to remain mobile in the event of a flat tire by allowing them to reach their destination or tire service facility without having to replace a flat tire with the spare tire. The ContiSportContact 5P SSR's reinforced sidewall enables the car to continue on its way at a maximum speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for up to 50 miles (80 km), depending on road conditions and vehicle weight.

The ContiSportContact 5P SSR benefits from a tread compound with Continental's Black Chilli Technology that features an innovative type of racing-grade carbon black to ensure a speedy warm-up along with special grip resins that optimize traction on wet and dry roads. These new carbon blacks and resins blend the rubber's flexibility (important for traction) with the tread's rigidity (important for handling). This compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib (or multiple ribs in wider sizes, especially those tuned for rear axle only applications) flanked by a large number of small, interlocked tread blocks. Circumferential grooves help water flow through the footprint to resist hydroplaning while the transverse block edges divert water away from the tread blocks to improve wet traction.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Considering buying a MB
Originally Posted by Keon
There's always a way to haggle down the price, especially since the mileage is high and it's a 2013. If not, consider other well-optioned, lower milage SLs. Also, Tundras are cool! I've always wanted one but they don't fit in my garage. What package is yours?

I have a 2008 Tundra SR5 with the 5.7L V8. It is great truck I bought used with 89,000 miles. Currently have 125 K on it. That V8 engine will go 250 K without any issues as long as you change the oil and maintain it.
The following users liked this post:
Keon (11-15-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Considering buying a MB
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I would recommend to continue searching for a car that does at least have a color combo that you desire. It might take some time but it is worth it even if you have to travel to find it. I was fortunate to find a car about an hour away but it did take some time. Good luck.
Randall, you make a good point to find the color combo that you really like.

I have searched every SL550 online in the nation. and these are the only colors I have seen so far. Am I missing any?

Interior color options for 2013 -2015
  1. Beige/brown
  2. Black
  3. Red
  4. Was there a light gray offered in these years?
Exterior colors
  1. Black (Brilliant black?? is that a different black?)
  2. White
  3. Silver
  4. Dark Metallic Gray
  5. Dark Red

Is there a link anywhere that lists all the color combinations available on the SL's?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
To my knowledge, Designo colors are all different.

Randall, you make a good point to find the color combo that you really like.

I have searched every SL550 online in the nation. and these are the only colors I have seen so far. Am I missing any?

Interior color options for 2013 -2015
  1. Beige/brown
  2. Black
  3. Red
  4. Was there a light gray offered in these years?
Exterior colors
  1. Black (Brilliant black?? is that a different black?)
  2. White
  3. Silver
  4. Dark Metallic Gray
  5. Dark Red

Is there a link anywhere that lists all the color combinations available on the SL's?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Google “MY13 SL550 dealer ordering guide” and its right there at the top
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I have an original 2015 SL sales brochure. Here are the colors that are in the brochure but I suspect that some were never ordered by US dealers and others are very rare. Also some are limited to particular models.

Exterior:

Black
Dolomite Brown Metallic
Iridium Silver Metallic
Lunar Blue Metallic
Magnetite Black Metallic
Mars Red
Obsidian Black metallic
Palladium Silver metallic
Polar white
Shadow Grey (matte)
Steel Gray Metallic
designo Cardinal Red metallic
designo Diamond White metallic
designo Graphite metallic
designo Magno Alanite Grey (matte)
designo Magno Cashmere White (matte)
designo Mocha Black metallic

Interior:

Black
Bengal red/black
Crystal grey/Dark grey
Ginger Beige/Expresso brown
Nut brown/black
Porcelain/black
designo Classic Red
designo Deep White
designo Light Brown
designo Platinum White
designo Sand
designo Sienna Brown
designo Titanium Grey Pearl
designo Tuscany Beige Pearl

Interior Trim:

Aluminum
Black Ash wood
Burl Walnut wood
Satin Brown Poplar wood
Carbon fiber
designo Black Piano
designo Champagne White Laquer wood
designo Natural Bamboo
Old 11-13-2019, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,698 Likes on 2,114 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If we are talking 2013 SL’s, there are many available and more coming on the market each day. Hold out for EXACTLY what you want. Just for example, I sold my 12,000 mile, pristine, fairly loaded, non-ABC SL550 for $50,000.00, less than a year ago.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Here's a LINK to the 231 brochure for 2013 that should provide everything you need. (I can provide links to later model years upon request).

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...13-slclass.pdf

FWIW, I paid $44,900 for my 2013 SL 550 last year, specifically on October 17, of 2018 (This was a CPO from an Authorized MB dealer with only 15,044 miles). Importantly for me, it was also a One-Owner South Florida SL550 that's never seen snow. While it was a first year (2013) model, the car's appearance was absolutely 'pristine', and virtually 'as new'.

This particular 2013 SL550 came to me equipped as follows:

- Palladium Silver Metallic with Premium Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa
- Burlwood Trim
- Burlwood/Leather Steering Wheel
- Analog Clock (An option back in 2013)
- Premium 1 Package (An option back in 2013)
- Driver Assistance Package
- Illuminated Door Sills
- Magic Sky Control (Really love this option)
- 18-inch Twin Spoke Wheels (The 'stock wheels' in 2013)
- Brand New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (non-run flat) tires

Note: The Harman Kardon Logic-7 system was different, (and perhaps better) back in 2013. For 2013 the HK system included a 6-DVD/CD changer and (3) additional speakers, ( i.e.14-speakers for 2013 verses 1-speakers for the HK system used in later 231's). I have no complaints about it, but I think it sounds best with the bass and treble outputs increased to +8 via the sound settings. You'll notice the difference immediately when you increase those output levels. Also be sure to check that Logic-7 is actually turned 'on' in sound settings.

I added several MB Accessories at the time of my SL550 purchase. Specifically, MB Logo Valve Stem Caps and a Cargo Area Tray for the trunk, Below is a LINK to all MB 231 Accessories:
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s_brochure.pdf

No complaints from me, I truly love 'everything' about my 2013 SL550! Looks and feels like a brand new car, and yet I paid just 1/3 of it's new price!...

Last edited by bob55; 11-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
I just now notice there are two types of seat for the 550, one is with the ribbed seat bottom and one is of 2 plain bigger pieces. The ribbed one is premium leather while the other one is just regular. What's different about it that makes it premium?

Regular

Premium

This thread is good information, thanks to everyone who's contributing in helping us potential buyers. This is what forums are for
Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by FxFormat
I just now notice there are two types of seat for the 550, one is with the ribbed seat bottom and one is of 2 plain bigger pieces. The ribbed one is premium leather while the other one is just regular. What's different about it that makes it premium?
Quite a bit, actually. The Premium interior has most every surface covered in leather, including the dash, door panels, etc. The leather itself is also of a higher quality.

Last edited by Streamliner; 11-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 PM

SL 600
Gotcha, surprised to see the car i linked has every option except premium leather. Safe to say when shopping for these, look for the cars with the ribbed seat bottoms, that indicates that it has premium leather package.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The premium Nappa Leather is softer, and more pliable, making the seats more comfortable. It is a more expensive leather, (i.e. a 'premium' leather).

Note, that in addition to the first Nappa upgrade, you can go a step further to a 2nd level 'Exclusive Nappa Leather' upgrade which places Leather in other areas of the car besides the seats, (i.;e. Leather is used in areas that would normally be MB Tex vinyl).

As we know, the vast majority of 231's in service do not have the ABC option, but those non-ABC Owners do have the opportunity to change to 18-inch wheels and 18" (non-run flat) tires. That change offers more sidewall, (and more cushion), thus softening the ride. Furthermore, having more of a sidewall provides greater protection from road hazard damage as well compared to 19-inch, (or larger) wheels and tires. Clearly the best time to make such a change is when it's time to replace your 231's tires.

Below is a LINK to the genuine MB 18" Wheel options.

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/me.../all/price_asc

Last edited by bob55; 11-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mgmoreau (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Considering buying a MB
Originally Posted by bob55
Here's a LINK to the 231 brochure for 2013 that should provide everything you need. (I can provide links to later model years upon request).

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...13-slclass.pdf

FWIW, I paid $44,900 for my 2013 SL 550 last year, specifically on October 17, of 2018 (This was a CPO from an Authorized MB dealer with only 15,044 miles). Importantly for me, it was also a One-Owner South Florida SL550 that's never seen snow. Even though it was a 2013 model, the car's appearance was absolutely 'pristine' appearing as new.

This particular 2013 SL550 came to me equipped as follows:

- Palladium Silver Metallic with Premium Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa
- Burlwood Trim
- Burlwood/Leather Steering Wheel
- Analog Clock (An option back in 2013)
- Premium 1 Package (An option back in 2013)
- Driver Assistance Package
- Illuminated Door Sills
- Magic Sky Control
- 18-inch Twin Spoke Stock Wheels
- Brand New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (non-run) flat tires

I added MB Logo Valve Stem Caps and a Cargo Area Tray, (Accessory Items), at the time of purchase. Below is a LINK to 231 Accessories:
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s_brochure.pdf

I love everything about this car!

Bob thanks for this link and to everyone that has added their comments to this thread, thank you! Wow I did not realize there were so many color options.

I have learned a lot of great info on these SL 550's since I started this thread!!

Thank you all.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Quite a bit, actually. The Premium interior has most every surface covered in leather, including the dash, door panels, etc. The leather itself is also of a higher quality.
Couple small additions...
The interior choices were/are different for the facelift model vs. the original one.

MY13-16
Stock: standard leather on seats and armrests/center console cover only. The rest (doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels) are MB-Tex, synthetic leather. Headliner is fabric
Nappa: nappa leather on seats and armrests/center armrest (console cover only). The rest (doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels) are MB-Tex, synthetic leather. Headliner is Dinamica (ultra suede). Some different seat pattern
Designo: nappa leather on seats and armrests/center, doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels. Headliner is Dinamica (ultra suede). Different color combinations and stitch patterns

MY17-20
Stock: standard leather on seats and armrests/center console cover only. The rest (doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels) are MB-Tex, synthetic leather. Headliner is fabric
Nappa: nappa leather on seats and armrests/center armrest (console cover only). The rest (doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels) are MB-Tex, synthetic leather. Headliner is Dinamica (ultra suede). Some different seat pattern from stock
Exclusive Nappa: nappa leather on seats and armrests/center, doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels. Headliner is Dinamica (ultra suede)
Designo: nappa leather on seats and armrests/center, doors, dash, center console, seat back, rear panels. Headliner is Dinamica (ultra suede). Different color combinations and stitch patterns
Old 11-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Considering buying a MB
Originally Posted by bob55
The premium Nappa Leather is softer, and more pliable, making the seats more comfortable. It is a more expensive leather, (i.e. a 'premium' leather).

Note, that in addition to the first Nappa upgrade, you can go a step further to a 2nd level 'Exclusive Nappa Leather' upgrade which places Leather in other areas of the car besides the seats, (i.;e. Leather is used in areas that would normally be MB Tex vinyl).

As we know, the vast majority of 231's in service do not have the ABC option, but those non-ABC Owners do have the opportunity to change to 18-inch wheels and 18" (non-run flat) tires. That change offers more sidewall, (and more cushion), thus softening the ride. Furthermore, having more of a sidewall provides greater protection from road hazard damage as well compared to 19-inch, (or larger) wheels and tires. Clearly the best time to make such a change is when it's time to replace your 231's tires.

Below is a LINK to the genuine MB 18" Wheel options.

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/me.../all/price_asc

Bob,

I am surprised by your comment that the vast majority of these 231's do not have the ABC option. What was the name of the ABC option on the car? I have the option sheet of this car but it does not list ABC but the dealer told me the car does have it.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 11-13-2019, 06:08 PM

SL 600
Bob,

I am surprised by your comment that the vast majority of these 231's do not have the ABC option. What was the name of the ABC option on the car? I have the option sheet of this car but it does not list ABC but the dealer told me the car does have it.

Thanks,
Marc

The one i'm looking at have ABC, ask them for the window sticker, or you can look at the center console near the shifter to see if it has ABC or not

Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
I too am thinking of getting out of my 2005 SL600 and into either an 07 SL55 with the P30 package or an R231 SL550. I'm not a fan of the exterior styling but the interior looks great, much more modern than the R230, also the 7spd will help over the slow 5spd.

This is something i'm considering

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...681_isFeatured

It's a 1 owner car, looks like it has a ton of option including ABC, and priced fairly well. I'll go check it out today
An SL55 would certainly be a downgrade from the simply magestic SL600, a very rare car. Go for an R231 SL550 instead.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Bob,

Thanks,
Marc
If the car at Viti is the one you are looking at, I just did a search with MB VIN decoder, and it does not have ABC.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I don't want to cause an issue but ABC's beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If you love it, great. If you hate it, great. ABC has always caused arguments no matter what. Some people wish for it and other go all the way to coil-overs to get rid of it. Bottom line, on the R231 it's an option and you get to choose. I do hate to see a thread like this devolve into a thread about ABC since there are so many already. Can we just agree that when the question comes, just suggest a search of the forum?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The one i'm looking at have ABC, ask them for the window sticker, or you can look at the center console near the shifter to see if it has ABC or not

Amazing that someone spent all that money and did not get the Nappa interior. At $2,900.00 or so, I feel it is a true bargain.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 PM

SL 600
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Amazing that someone spent all that money and did not get the Nappa interior. At $2,900.00 or so, I feel it is a true bargain.
I know right? Imagine if it was red interior, oh man wouldn't that be beautiful. I have a thing for white on red interior cars, it's so classy.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, the price shown above is incorrect.

The most popular Nappa interior is the 1st level Nappa upgrade...and it's only $900. The 2nd level upgrade is the 'Exclusive Nappa Interior', (full leather interior), and it cost $1,900. However, visual differences between it and the $900 (1st level) upgrade may not be immediately obvious, since the MB Tex Vinyl on the dash is very well executed on the Level 1 ($900) Nappa option. .(I find this particularly true for the Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Interior color scheme).

The most expensive 231 interiors are the 'Designo Nappa Interiors', and those appear to be 'on sale' right now at just $2,600. That price is down significantly from a year ago when MB charged $4,900 for the very same Designo Interior options. Those are easier to spot because of the 'pleated leather panels' added to the interior doors, and also some 'Designo' seat badging.

You can view ALL the interior options by using the latest 231 (Model Year 2020) 'Build your Own' option at the Mercedes USA website. In fact, you can explore each and every 231 option there!

Below is a LINK to 'Build Your Own SL550'

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/bu...oadster/sl550r

:

Last edited by bob55; 11-13-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't take that car due to the leather and they made a mistake building the car without power folding mirrors, thus providing an equipment credit...
Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I know right? Imagine if it was red interior, oh man wouldn't that be beautiful. I have a thing for white on red interior cars, it's so classy.
The most classic SL combo is iridium silver with red interior.Can't go wrong with that one. If choosing red, I suggest the black ash as a neutral color combo. I would also suggest Porcelain White. So classy. Both Nappa

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
FxFormat (11-13-2019), mgmoreau (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Considering buying a MB
Originally Posted by allfortheunion
If the car at Viti is the one you are looking at, I just did a search with MB VIN decoder, and it does not have ABC.
Hi Allfortheunion,

Yes the car is at Viti. Thank you for looking up the VIN # I think the salesman may have given me the wrong information. He is young and has probably not sold many or seen many 231's on the lot.

I guess we can hopefully put the ABC question to rest.

Thanks again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: 2013 Certified SL550 41 K mi. Should I the pull trigger?