SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: RIP SL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
RIP SL63

And another one bites the dust: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...GuTFmVSfDXU2bc
Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts
2023 AMG GLE63s, 2017 AMG SL63, 2024 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
I'll be holding onto my MY17 SL63R for a LONG LONG time ... happily
Old 11-25-2019, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I wouldn't read to much into it. It's the normal process, the R231 SL is shutting down for model change over. An AMG SL will return.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-25-2019 at 11:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Keon (11-26-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
Although the corporate decision appears to have been made, and for obvious business reasons, let us, at least, make our voices heard at the end of this article. There is the single question: "Are you sad the SL 63 AMG is dead?". You can click on your choice of response, and the survey will display the percentage of responses for each of the two choices. I hate seeing this even though it will most likely return in some other shape or form in the next generation.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
It’s just my opinion, but I feel that when the AMG GT models came out, they became the choice of the vast majority of buyers looking for a sporty rocket ship with a 3-pointed star. Most performance hungry customers are always looking forward to the latest & greatest model, with the most horsepower and quickest 0 to 100 times. The appeal of the decidedly old school AMG SL’s could not compare to the cutting edge AMG GT’s with their gorgeous styling and state of the art power plants. Although I appreciate the appeal of the R231 63 & 65 cars (almost bought a 2017 SL65) and know that some folks just love theirs, they really are dinosaurs in the performance car wars and their time on the assembly line, sadly, is up.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
It’s just my opinion, but I feel that when the AMG GT models came out, they became the choice of the vast majority of buyers looking for a sporty rocket ship with a 3-pointed star. Most performance hungry customers are always looking forward to the latest & greatest model, with the most horsepower and quickest 0 to 100 times. The appeal of the decidedly old school AMG SL’s could not compare to the cutting edge AMG GT’s with their gorgeous styling and state of the art power plants. Although I appreciate the appeal of the R231 63 & 65 cars (almost bought a 2017 SL65) and know that some folks just love theirs, they really are dinosaurs in the performance car wars and their time on the assembly line, sadly, is up.
Every time I look at the blue SL65, I love the car as configured. I think the chrome/polished aluminum is in place and the interiors are bespoke for a sporty roadsters.
Classic two seater even if technically outdated with less than top performance.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Dino333 (12-15-2019), rmorin49 (11-28-2019), SLclass (11-27-2019), TennesseeZ4 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Every time I look at the blue SL65, I love the car as configured...............
Me too, but there is a problem. I absolutely lusted after the somewhat “mythical” car in these factory promotional photos. Like you, I found the car pictured to be just perfect looking. But not really being a fan of blue cars in general, as my 2019 SL450 order was still changeable and I was thinking of going with this color, I began paying very close attention to every MB I saw that was painted the Brilliant Blue Metallic. The bottom line is that try as I could, I found it virtually impossible to find even one car, on any one occasion, in various lighting scenarios that looked anywhere even close to the images shown here, the actual color looking much darker in person. I believe that the color in these images has been modified to look more appealing and I think it is way more than just choreographed lighting, it is digital manipulation. Call it artistic license if you will, but IMHO, I call it false advertising: as shown, the car was never really available.

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-02-2019 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
allfortheunion (11-28-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Me too, but there is a problem. I absolutely lusted after the somewhat “mythical” car is these factory promotional photos. Like you, I found the car pictured to be just perfect looking. But not really being a fan of blue cars in general, as my 2019 SL450 order was still changeable and I was thinking of going with this color, I began paying very close attention to every MB I saw that was painted the Brilliant Blue Metallic. The bottom line is that try as I could, I found it virtually impossible to find even one car, on any one occasion, in various lighting scenarios that looked anywhere even close to the images shown here, the actual color looking much darker in person. I believe that the color in these images has been modified to look more appealing and I think it is way more than just choreographed lighting, it is digital manipulation. Call it artistic license if you will, but IMHO, I call it false advertising: as shown, the car was never really available.

I have to share that my Lunar Blue is a color that I would not have chosen had it not been for my wife as we searched for CPO's a few years ago. All I knew was that I wanted a color that was not 'common'; while I love the SL in many hues, I prefer individuality of choice. The closest color that I have seen in the 'real world' to the Lunar Blue is the blue that was used for the AAR Gurney Eagle that won at Spa. Sometimes it appears black, sometimes brilliant blue; sometimes dark blue, sometimes with a hint of burgundy; but never the same. I really wanted the Cardinal Red, but now that I have lived with the Lunar Blue for a few years, I am content with the color.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
SL450
Before my SL I drove an 06 Jag XK - It was a limited edition in a color called Copper Black. Depending on the lighting the car was black, or a dark dark metallic charcoal. It had an ivory interior. And when the car was washed it got at least one compliment on every drive.

When shopping to replace the XK, I wanted a 'Pretty Car'. For me I like Dark exterior colors with light interior colors - I think the contrast makes both colors stand out more. I was originally looking for a Ferrari California, they have a rich blue with the Ferrari Camel interior which to me is a little to Orangey, but still made for a striking car.

I'm not a fan of the silver or grey cars. And flat colors are not my cup of tea. The one thing I didn't like about the Black SL is that it hid all subtle body contour lines. And I can't explain why, but that little fake vent on the outside corners of the rear bumper - that have absolutely no value what so ever, I think are so cool and need to be visible.

When I first saw the electric blue in the posted images with a light color interior I loved it. In 2018 my wife bought herself a new Camaro in a similar electric blue but with a black interior.

When shopping for the SL that electric blue is given multiple different names. Having worked for a couple of decades in a field where matching colors was critical - I will say that the color of my 2017 Blue Designo SL is the same color as those in the marketing materials you posted.

When I picked up the car to me it was a striking looking car. Haven driven it for a few months, this car gets just as many compliments as the Jag did.

I live in a nice area. For the past 3 weeks I have been staying at my parents after my Dad had a heart attack. My parent's live in a gated community on the water, so a shiny SL is an average car. But people are constantly stopping by to compliment it and ask about the color. One woman pulled up in a Red SL and stopped and asked me about the color, then called her hubbie on the phone and had me explain to him the color combo of the car. Her SL had brand new paper plates on it and she was telling her husband she wanted the blue instead.

Everyone has what appeals to them. To me the Blue and White combo is gorgeous. And yet I saw someone drive past in a new lambo with a flat brownie colored wrap on it. In my mind I would never buy any car and turn it into the color of what falls out of the back of my dogs. But to each their own

Dave B