SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Wind deflector removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sl550
Wind deflector removal?

IHave a 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 550. The wind deflector mesh is pulled out of the mountains so it’s loose. I was wanting to be able to reattach the mesh and was wondering if anyone has a link or an idea how to remove the window flecked her so I can work on it easily? And also is there when deflector mesh material anywhere I could buy?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SL63
Wind deflector

I have a similar issue, the corners have come free of the frame
Old 07-06-2021, 05:55 AM

2015 SL63
SL63 wind deflector

Does anyone know if this can be fixed or does it just need to be replaced?
Old 10-13-2021, 04:34 PM

2013 SL 550
Same issue, any luck?

Originally Posted by jakubmomentum
IHave a 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 550. The wind deflector mesh is pulled out of the mountains so it’s loose. I was wanting to be able to reattach the mesh and was wondering if anyone has a link or an idea how to remove the window flecked her so I can work on it easily? And also is there when deflector mesh material anywhere I could buy?
I have the same car in the same issue. Have you had any luck with a resolution to your problem?
if so I would like to know what you did. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Originally Posted by jakubmomentum

"...out of the mountains"?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:01 PM

2015 SL63
No luck so far
Old 10-15-2021, 12:10 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
R231 SL63 & R129 SL500
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike
"...out of the mountains"?
My guess is that it’s an autocorrect from “mountings”.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 PM

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Since this is one of the somewhat annoying & more common little issues with the R231’s
I’ve got one out of the car and decided to take some pictures of how they are failing (and a possible fix).

The mesh is typically failing by separating from the frame in the lower corners first (picture 1)
There is a small "rivet" in the corner of the mesh/fabric that slots into the frame of the wind deflector. (see picture 3 - circled in green)
It is held in position by a plastic bracket with a slotted, curved stainless spring creating two forked blades. (see picture 3, 4, 5&7)

Amazingly, this bracket is just RTV siliconed in place on the bottom of the corner trim. (see picture 5&6) Definitely a weak point in the design!
Typically this bracket will loosen, crack/break and release the flat fork blades of the spring. (picture 7)

This releases another sprung, flat & pinned bladed arm that is responsible for keeping the corner trim tight against the wind deflector frame. (circled in red) This bladed arm is what is pushes the mesh rivets out of the wind deflector frame slots when you lower it.
If yours has separated and fabric isn't torn, you may be able to re-hook it by partially lowering the wind deflector frame and working the rivet into your deflector frame.
Unfortunately this is probably a temporary fix, as it's typically a sign of that bracket failure. You can tell if your bracket has failed because the corner trim will be loose and lift by hand when the wind deflector is in the lowered position.

I'm thinking that these plastic brackets need 3M VHB tape vs a dab of silicone. Unfortunately when these small brackets fail, they are not available separately from Mercedes. You have to replace the WHOLE wind deflector. You must remove the whole wind deflector assembly to do this repair as the pins to release the corner trim can only be removed by having access to both sides in order to push the e ring clips in place. ☹️

These will be getting reinforced with the 3M High Bond Structural tape. It should reinforce the bracket and hold it down much better the the weak silicone used by MB.

This repair will probably work if your mesh isn’t ripped yet.

Last edited by crconsulting; 06-23-2022 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (12-11-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 01:58 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
R231 SL500
Great write up, thanks. Was it difficult to get the frame out of the car?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This maybe an option.
https://www.mbgtc.de/en/Business-seg...deflector.html

Btw. These were not standard on the lower-end SL’s in Germany, but an option.
The standard was a manual windscreen a la R230.

crconsulting (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

How about this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254568912804
Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by Wolfman
WOW, that's a hefty shipping charge!
Old 06-24-2022, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneee
Great write up, thanks. Was it difficult to get the frame out of the car?
I wouldn’t say it was difficult, just tedious. You have to take off the back & side of the interior panels to get to the fasteners.
Really the repair and sourcing the parts is the difficult part. I’m still considering what other modifications would make this more reliable.
The plastic part and how it’s held in are the issue. Plus buying a whole new air deflector for a $2.00 part seems wasteful.
I was considering 3D printing but that would make the part more brittle. Honestly, that’s a part that should probably be made out of aluminum….

There is a superseded (new design) part # from MB, but I have yet to see what and if those brackets (and how they are fastened) has been improved/modified

This maybe an option.
Thats the exact same part as the US powered wind deflector that has issues. Just with the newer superseded part number. It’s available in the US with that same part number. (which brings up the question of what was redesigned)
https://www.mboemparts.com/v-2014-me...body--roll-bar

I’m assuming you were trying to point out this UK/EU Air Defector in the pictures below. Part number: 23186000749051 - Now showing discontinued ☹️

​​​
Unfortunately that solution probably is designed for the manual UK deflector (in below pics). The limiting factor is how the bottom of the US power shade’s fabric somewhat “floats” when you fold it. That particular fabric would have to include the rivets, (I posted picture’s in my post above). I would definitely CLARIFY with the vendor prior to ordering
especially with, as rmorin49 mentioned, the shipping cost.

Overall this design is a disappointment, and Gunther should be limited to two beers at the Hofbräuhaus for 6 months, at least

Last edited by crconsulting; 06-24-2022 at 06:28 PM.
ToeKneee (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crconsulting
I wouldn’t say it was difficult, just tedious. You have to take off the back & side of the interior panels to get to the fasteners.
Really the repair and sourcing the parts is the difficult part. I’m still considering what other modifications would make this more reliable.
The plastic part and how it’s held in are the issue. Plus buying a whole new air deflector for a $2.00 part seems wasteful.
I was considering 3D printing but that would make the part more brittle. Honestly, that’s a part that should probably be made out of aluminum….

There is a superseded (new design) part # from MB, but I have yet to see what and if those brackets (and how they are fastened) has been improved/modified

Thats the exact same part as the US powered wind deflector that has issues. Just with the newer superseded part number. It’s available in the US with that same part number. (which brings up the question of what was redesigned)
https://www.mboemparts.com/v-2014-me...body--roll-bar

I’m assuming you were trying to point out this UK/EU Air Defector in the pictures below. Part number: 23186000749051 - Now showing discontinued ☹️

​​​
Unfortunately that solution probably is designed for the manual UK deflector (in below pics). The limiting factor is how the bottom of the US power shade’s fabric somewhat “floats” when you fold it. That particular fabric would have to include the rivets, (I posted picture’s in my post above). I would definitely CLARIFY with the vendor prior to ordering
especially with, as rmorin49 mentioned, the shipping cost.

Overall this design is a disappointment, and Gunther should be limited to two beers at the Hofbräuhaus for 6 months, at least

Could be the case the material Is only for the manual windscreen (default option for many countries). Sample pics were inconclusive.

The issue is that many parts are available as an assembly-only option. Difficult to imagine but standard fare with low production cars.
I remember my wife hitting a cone that made it onto the highway on a construction site. $9k later, the small damage was fixed.

One part was the right headlight. There was a small separate plastic clip on the lower front which by any estimate would be a $5 part. Not available by itself; took a $2k+ headlight replacement.

The new headlight wasn’t even used as techs have experienced coding issues during replacement and don’t install unless required. They just pulled the clip and left the headlight (which I then obtained).

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-25-2022 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 400
Do the interior panels snap in and out, just need to pry them off? Did you come up with a repair? Can the plastic part be reenforced with some epoxy? I have the same in my 2015 sl400
Old 12-10-2022, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
Do the interior panels snap in and out, just need to pry them off?
Yes, you have to take off the side panels first, before you can remove the rear panel.

Originally Posted by Sean H
Did you come up with a repair? Can the plastic part be reenforced with some epoxy?
Once the black plastic bracket (pictured above) is broken, it will probably be too late. They aren’t available separately from the dealer ☹️

I reinforced the unbroken, good brackets. (I sourced one from a used wind deflector/shield and my existing bracket that was still good) by using 3M VHB tape to bond the bracket to the chrome end trim piece. It’s more solid than siliconing just the corners, like the factory did. It should keep them from breaking (hopefully) in the future.

Last edited by crconsulting; 12-10-2022 at 11:06 PM.
FDNY (12-17-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
I...............The plastic part and how it’s held in are the issue. Plus buying a whole new air deflector for a $2.00 part seems wasteful.

​​​.............
I think that you could have that 3d printed. These days, there is a vast array of materials available for 3D printing including ABS, Nylon, PETG and many others.

Very easy to design in CAD (which is where it would originally have been designed). Trick is that a CAD user would need a good drawing with dimensions or the actual part to measure and copy.

There are many 3d print companies that will produce one in the material of your choice.

PS thanks for all the useful information.

crconsulting (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
This maybe an option.

Cheaper than I expected. I’ve purchased from them and their service is good.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,279 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Would that be two beers per meal, two beers per day, or only two beers per 6 months? Seems the latter would be cruel and unusual.

Thanks goodness us Americans have an 8th Amendment to our Constitution!
crconsulting (12-11-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by rorywquin
I think that you could have that 3d printed. These days, there is a vast array of materials available for 3D printing including ABS, Nylon, PETG and many others.
Very easy to design in CAD (which is where it would originally have been designed). Trick is that a CAD user would need a good drawing with dimensions or the actual part to measure and copy.
There are many 3d print companies that will produce one in the material of your choice.
No doubt it's doable, but it comes down to time invested vs return. It's still a lot of work to get that part produced. Probably cost more, time wise and prototyping costs, than just buying a new (or used) wind screen. Luckily, I was able to find a used one with a broken bracket on the opposite side of the one I needed.
But I do still have two broken brackets if I get bored and decide to make some aluminum chips on my mill.

Originally Posted by JettaRed
Would that be two beers per meal, two beers per day, or only two beers per 6 months? Seems the latter would be cruel and unusual.!
We definitely want poor Gunther functional. That would be two beers AFTER work, daily, and not for breakfast either!
Old 12-15-2022, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
No doubt it's doable, but it comes down to time invested vs return. It's still a lot of work to get that part produced. Probably cost more, time wise and prototyping costs, than just buying a new (or used) wind screen. ................etc
Very little time needed.

I do a lot of 3d printing and have replicated many items from the original (and I’m a CAD hobbyist - not super skilled). If a person competent with CAD has the part in their hands the could knock out a replica design in hours. I could do it but it will take me days. The printing is straight forward.

However, if you are lucky enough to get a scrap unit that can be scavenged then I agree that is the way to go. However R231 scrap parts must be few and far between.

crconsulting (12-15-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 SL550 White Arrow
Would you have a video showing details instruction on removal of the entire wind stop
thanks
Old 12-17-2022, 12:22 PM

2015 SL550 White Arrow
wind deflector removal

Yes, you have to take off the side panels first, before you can remove the rear panel.

Once the black plastic bracket (pictured above) is broken, it will probably be too late. They aren’t available separately from the dealer ☹️

I reinforced the unbroken, good brackets. (I sourced one from a used wind deflector/shield and my existing bracket that was still good) by using 3M VHB tape to bond the bracket to the chrome end trim piece. It’s more solid than siliconing just the corners, like the factory did. It should keep them from breaking (hopefully) in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9bnSV9jTE
if there a video for R231 removal or wind stop
Old 12-17-2022, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by FDNY
Would you have a video showing details instruction on removal of the entire wind stop
thanks

This repair was for a friend, so my focus was on getting the job out the door and getting their car back. When I get in the "zone" and channel my inner German, I rarely stop for interruptions until the job is finished.
I have another repair coming up in the new year, and will try to take more pictures.
FDNY (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:03 PM

2015 SL550 White Arrow
I might be able to figure it out between the two video, The one posted with R231 removal of rear panel and the vide of A217 wind deflector removal

however I am hoping I can find that part to circled in green . If feel down into the panel area when I first found the screen pulling away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Wind deflector removal?