SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Massaging Seats working and not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
Massaging Seats working and not working

Hi everyone! My massaging seats on my 2013 SL550 work briefly at start up and then stop after a minute or so. I see form other forums that this appears to be a problem in most MB models and most likely points to a leak in the lines somewhere.

This is what I know.....The trunk, soft close doors and locks all work, heat and cool function is working, the battery voltage is ok and the pump in the trunk runs. I’ve pulled the trunk battery and did a recondition cycle on my charger as well as fully charged it. I know from my previous MB that voltage drops seem to wreck havoc on the functions in the vehicle.

I’ve seen in other forums for the R230 that people have pulled the #72 fuse(pneumatic pump fuse) and have had success in resetting/clearing error codes from the pump. Unfortunately I can’t seem to pinpoint the fuse# in the R231 based on the fuse map to try this since they do not list one for the pneumatic pump. I only see fuses #119 and #126 for the seats but it does not specially state that its for the massaging and contour function, just that they are for the seats.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try to do before I take it to the MB dealer?

Thanks !
Old 05-31-2021, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This is typically a lease in the bladder or a pump issue; not a big repair but the biggest issue is that the leather cover has to come off the frame (back). They ended up messing up ours with wrinkles all over the place and they had to get us a new cover as a result.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
Thanks for the response Wolfman! I figure it's a leak issue too since the pump seems to be running ok and the other functions are still working. Still a remote chance that its the battery since I’m now getting some weak battery readings with the multimeter and the battery is well over 4 years old. Hopefully if it is a leak they won’t hack and chop it up too bad when I get around to taking it to the dealer.