SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 95 degrees, dew point 70, top is down!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
95 degrees, dew point 70, top is down!!

We have a scorcher in NY right now but that won't stop me from taking the SL to work sans roof. I am amazed at how well the cabin stays cool even on the highway with the AC on focus and the barely operable ventilated seats going. I never really felt the heat (but the sun was searing). Only thing that would improve it is if the air scarf could also blow cool air when needed. That would be neat. Now if I could just figure out that squeak coming from the vicinity of the seat belt top mounts....
The following users liked this post:
WN1X (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by emilner
We have a scorcher in NY right now but that won't stop me from taking the SL to work sans roof. I am amazed at how well the cabin stays cool even on the highway with the AC on focus and the barely operable ventilated seats going. I never really felt the heat (but the sun was searing). Only thing that would improve it is if the air scarf could also blow cool air when needed. That would be neat. Now if I could just figure out that squeak coming from the vicinity of the seat belt top mounts....
We have a similar problem with the passenger seat in our SL550. After fooling around with it we believe it is coming from the top of the side bolster. No idea why or what is causing. Unless the top is down or the stero is blaring it drives me insane. Going to have it checked at the next service. If I discover the cause I'll report back.
emilner (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by Sunbeltgolfer11
We have a similar problem with the passenger seat in our SL550. After fooling around with it we believe it is coming from the top of the side bolster. No idea why or what is causing. Unless the top is down or the stero is blaring it drives me insane. Going to have it checked at the next service. If I discover the cause I'll report back.
Thanks- I just went out and tried moving the passenger seat and sure enough the right side bolster area squeaks like heck. Nothing from the drivers side. It appears to be on the lower side for me but it's not an external trim piece- I can't make the squeak stop no matter where I place pressure while moving the seat. Reclined forward it stops though.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:33 AM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Thanks- I just went out and tried moving the passenger seat and sure enough the right side bolster area squeaks like heck. Nothing from the drivers side. It appears to be on the lower side for me but it's not an external trim piece- I can't make the squeak stop no matter where I place pressure while moving the seat. Reclined forward it stops though.
We noticed if you sit an angle in the seat with weight more to that bolster it helps. I don't know if it does it when no one is in the seat as we almost always have the two of us when the car is in use. If I can get it diagnosed I'll let you know.
emilner (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Not sure if anyone sits in the passenger seat but you might want to reset the seats functions in Comand (bolster, lumbar, etc.). See if that makes a difference...
emilner (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I moved the seat all the way forward and back and the noise has gone away. Hopefully for a while. Two other small questions if anyone knows. I can't seem to set the favorite button (the star on the console) to the massage function- it says function unavailable. I've used it in other cars without issue- Am I doing something wrong? Also- Sirius only seems to go up to around station 220, there are stations in the 300's I listen to, do I need an update or is that it? I also find it annoying that every time you change driving mode it resets the auto stop start to on.