SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: An SL550 Tour: The Rise and Fall of Newburgh, New York

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2021 | 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
"No one in their right mind drives from the Baltimore area up to Cape Cod."

Ha! Call me crazy! Been doing it on and off for about 40 years. No Ocean City for me!

Interesting fact that Newburgh is just outside the 20-mile radius from the flagpole on Trophy Point at West Point. Back in the day (not so sure now), upper-class cadets that got off-post had to go outside that radius to "legally" drink anything stronger than 3.2% swill served in Eisenhower Hall (or was it 2.3%?). AND there was Mount St. Mary's (mostly women) College where cadet men met a lot of their future wives. Mount St. Mary's was also just outside that 20-mile zone. Sunday mornings in the dorm common areas would be found littered with still drunk cadets sleeping off the night before. Other than that, I missed out on the historic significance of Newburgh. Do they still have Jack In The Box there?
Old 12-14-2021 | 05:27 AM

GLC300/SL550
wow beautiful pics and great post !
Old 12-27-2021 | 04:11 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by ejvette
wow beautiful pics and great post !
ejvette,

Thanks much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm way overdue for another trip. With luck I'll go in the next couple of weeks: Virginia this time.

Rick
Old 12-27-2021 | 04:18 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by JettaRed
"No one in their right mind drives from the Baltimore area up to Cape Cod."

Ha! Call me crazy! Been doing it on and off for about 40 years. No Ocean City for me!

Interesting fact that Newburgh is just outside the 20-mile radius from the flagpole on Trophy Point at West Point. Back in the day (not so sure now), upper-class cadets that got off-post had to go outside that radius to "legally" drink anything stronger than 3.2% swill served in Eisenhower Hall (or was it 2.3%?). AND there was Mount St. Mary's (mostly women) College where cadet men met a lot of their future wives. Mount St. Mary's was also just outside that 20-mile zone. Sunday mornings in the dorm common areas would be found littered with still drunk cadets sleeping off the night before. Other than that, I missed out on the historic significance of Newburgh. Do they still have Jack In The Box there?
JettaRed,

Great, I'm glad I'm not the only crazy driver on the Baltimore to Cape Cod route!

Thanks for the information regarding West Point rules (and work-arounds). Interesting! As for Jack In The Box restaurants, I didn't see any in Newburgh—but then, I focusing on historic homes, churches, and so forth. On these trips, my lunch generally comes in the form of a sandwich from whatever Shell station I stop at for gas, :-)

Rick