SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: When Does Model Year Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 01:56 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
When Does Model Year Change?

When does MB typically change model year designation?? Does it all happen at the same time with all models of cars?? I have never kept up with MB and their history of changing years? Just curious.

As we get older our knees are having more trouble with getting in and out of the SL. We will probably not do this because we love the car so much, but we are looking around a little -- for something a little higher off the ground....and it is unbelievable what we are being offered for the SL. We can actually get all our money back from what we paid well over 2 years ago.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Usually around September or October but it can and does vary with the different models. Best time to sell or trade a convertible is the spring season.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:08 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Who exactly is doing the offering?? Dealers? Private buyers?

Originally Posted by Panama
When does MB typically change model year designation?? Does it all happen at the same time with all models of cars?? I have never kept up with MB and their history of changing years? Just curious.

As we get older our knees are having more trouble with getting in and out of the SL. We will probably not do this because we love the car so much, but we are looking around a little -- for something a little higher off the ground....and it is unbelievable what we are being offered for the SL. We can actually get all our money back from what we paid well over 2 years ago.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:31 AM

Dealers. We have not tried private buyers. Instead of trading it, we thought we would go to a couple of sites where you offer up the car and get offers...mostly from dealers. You describe the car and put in pictures and get offers. She did it. I just took the pictures.

We have done this before. When we sold her Infinity, we did the same thing and it worked great. We did not have to deal with a bunch of Yahoos coming to our house and wanting to test drive either. With the Infinity, we "might" could have gotten another grand from private retail, but I don't want people coming to my house and test driving. It is a good time to sell a used car.

In one MB dealership we were talking trade to them. We were looking at a bigger convertible. They made a decent trade offer. We were on the way home to think about it. They called us and said the general manager looked at our SL while we were test driving. They offered us another $5000 in trade on the SL right there on the phone. The GM wanted our SL to sell on his lot is what they said. Dealers need cars to sell right now. They cannot get them. Used market is good.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 10:57 AM

SL 400
Ok I got you.

If they came at me 5k over their original solid offer my car would be gone and I would get a newer SL. I checked sites like car gurus, or whatever and for the miles I have their offers are “ok” I guess, but not enough to give me the down payment I would like on the newer SL.I always use trade equity when buying new cars and never put cash down with it. I was more curious than anything.

KBB gave me the lowest offer of anyone, but Like I said I wasn’t selling anyway.

Take care.

Dealers. We have not tried private buyers. Instead of trading it, we thought we would go to a couple of sites where you offer up the car and get offers...mostly from dealers. You describe the car and put in pictures and get offers. She did it. I just took the pictures.

We have done this before. When we sold her Infinity, we did the same thing and it worked great. We did not have to deal with a bunch of Yahoos coming to our house and wanting to test drive either. With the Infinity, we "might" could have gotten another grand from private retail, but I don't want people coming to my house and test driving. It is a good time to sell a used car.

In one MB dealership we were talking trade to them. We were looking at a bigger convertible. They made a decent trade offer. We were on the way home to think about it. They called us and said the general manager looked at our SL while we were test driving. They offered us another $5000 in trade on the SL right there on the phone. The GM wanted our SL to sell on his lot is what they said. Dealers need cars to sell right now. They cannot get them. Used market is good.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Ok I got you.

If they came at me 5k over their original solid offer my car would be gone and I would get a newer SL. I checked sites like car gurus, or whatever and for the miles I have their offers are “ok” I guess, but not enough to give me the down payment I would like on the newer SL.I always use trade equity when buying new cars and never put cash down with it. I was more curious than anything.

KBB gave me the lowest offer of anyone, but Like I said I wasn’t selling anyway.

Take care.
Our problem is that we really like the SL we have....really like it, except for the knees issue we are starting to have getting in and out. We did almost turn around and go back to the dealership and take the deal. It was very close...

Also, we do not want the new SL. I have not seen one in person, but some things about it turn me off. I do not like the manual windscreen and dealers are going to get over MSRP for the first ones and I am not putting up with the way they are treating people. You don't know the price and you will buy a one year old car and I do not like the big computer screen among other things. By "newer SL" ... if you meant a newer year than our 2017... why would we do that? It is the color we wanted, in great shape and 2017 is after the facelift....

We may buy a used S class. That is -- if we can decide to get rid of the SL we have. It is hard to do.... we love the 2017. Except for our knees are getting older and older.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:15 PM

SL 400
You misunderstood me. When I said I would by a newer one I didn’t mean you should, I meant I would as I have a 2015. I also didn’t mean 2022/23 new. I just mean facelift new.

I love my SL, it has almost every option I would have wanted had I bought it new, but it would be cool to get a newer model with similar options on it. (cool for me stepping up a few years from my 15)

Our problem is that we really like the SL we have....really like it, except for the knees issue we are starting to have getting in and out. We did almost turn around and go back to the dealership and take the deal. It was very close...

Also, we do not want the new SL. I have not seen one in person, but some things about it turn me off. I do not like the manual windscreen and dealers are going to get over MSRP for the first ones and I am not putting up with the way they are treating people. You don't know the price and you will buy a one year old car and I do not like the big computer screen among other things. By "newer SL" ... if you meant a newer year than our 2017... why would we do that? It is the color we wanted, in great shape and 2017 is after the facelift....

We may buy a used S class. That is -- if we can decide to get rid of the SL we have. It is hard to do.... we love the 2017. Except for our knees are getting older and older.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:36 PM

Ahhhh... OK ...I understand. If I was younger and my knees were better, I would look at a 2017 SL after the facelift as well if I had a pre facelift model. There is a lot of difference.

When we bought the SL we have, we were in Florida and sort of centrally located for about 4 months. We drove and compared a lot of SLs. That is the only car we were interested in buying. There are a lot of SL cars in Florida... Orlando, Miami, Daytona, etc. etc... there was a lot of difference in performance, options and appearance in those made after the facelift in 2017. We drove so many I cannot remember. We did not mind driving to look at one we liked. We actually bought our car in Atlanta off a MB lease. Never regretted it - not one day. It is a great car.