SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Hands free phone volume question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 12:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Hands free phone volume question

For reference we’re talking about a ‘16 SL550. Seems that I can turn the radio up until it’s obnoxiously loud but can’t get the volume for the phone loud enough to use it with the top down, even at very low speeds. Am I missing something? 99% of the time I get a call, my phone is in my front pocket which makes it impossible to get out safely while driving so the best I can do is answer the call using the steering wheel controls and immediately tell the caller that I have the top down so I won’t be able to hear them and will have to call them back later. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
R231 SL500
On the pre facelift, so I assume yours will be similar, on the phone page of comand, go to connected devices, then highlight your phone using the rotary selector, then move the selector to the right to highlight another small menu, click on that and you can adjust receive and transmit volumes.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Not sure why that would be. Do you have the windows up and the windscreen up while trying to take a call? I am top down most days when nice out and I use handsfree exclusively without issue. They only time I do have issues is if I am on the highway then I have to talk very loudly, or wait until I am off the highway. Regular street driving I can hear and they can hear me without issue.

Originally Posted by SteveL1
For reference we’re talking about a ‘16 SL550. Seems that I can turn the radio up until it’s obnoxiously loud but can’t get the volume for the phone loud enough to use it with the top down, even at very low speeds. Am I missing something? 99% of the time I get a call, my phone is in my front pocket which makes it impossible to get out safely while driving so the best I can do is answer the call using the steering wheel controls and immediately tell the caller that I have the top down so I won’t be able to hear them and will have to call them back later. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 SL400
I ran into a similar issue and then discovered I had the volume of the phone itself turned down...I also did what ToeKneee described, but it ended up being the phone, so check that out as well.
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (04-23-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Thank you all for the tips. Was able to increase the volume through the command page that I didn’t know existed.