SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Windshield replacement options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SL400
Windshield replacement options

My son was driving my SL (with my permission) and had a run-in with a turkey. Ultimately the turkey lost (RIP), but not before he smashed the right side of the windshield. No other damage other than a lot of glass and a few feathers in the interior, and no one but the turkey was injured.

My insurance company tells me that they can have Safelite replace it with a generic windshield, but if I want a genuine MB windshield, the difference is on me.

Any ideas on the wisdom of using a Safelite windshield and/or the cost of a genuine one? Any functional differences I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 04-20-2023, 10:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 SL400
Had Safelite replace the windshield on my 2015 911....first go at it with "OEM Equivalent"...nope. The owner of the shop negotiated with the insurance company and installed the OEM glass at the same cost ($500 deductible), so YMMV depending on the shop. Be sure to get a master installer to do the work, most shops have "the guy" and it's worth the wait to get it done right. Had no issues after the work was done. As far as I know, even when you take it to MB, they contract out the work anyway.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:20 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
MB does not make, or install its own glass. There is no point in paying for MB to do it, because they are going to sub it out. The only difference that I have seen over the years with multiple windshields on multiple MB is the little MB sticker/signature on the windshield that does not come on the windshield that the guys that come to you install. You can buy that sticker on eBay and stick it on any window you have installed for $8 last time I checked and it basically looks the same as if you purchased it from MB.

MB does not make MB glass.

Originally Posted by Dave's MB
My son was driving my SL (with my permission) and had a run-in with a turkey. Ultimately the turkey lost (RIP), but not before he smashed the right side of the windshield. No other damage other than a lot of glass and a few feathers in the interior, and no one but the turkey was injured.

My insurance company tells me that they can have Safelite replace it with a generic windshield, but if I want a genuine MB windshield, the difference is on me.

Any ideas on the wisdom of using a Safelite windshield and/or the cost of a genuine one? Any functional differences I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 04-20-2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
13SL550,11CL550,61 190SL, 67 300SE, 54 220
Windshield

I have a 13 with 7000 miles on it and needed a windshield. Gieco would only pay for an aftermarket one. I had to fight for a factory glass, I went up the ladder to one supervisor and they agreed. I own a Mercedes repair shop, there is so much going on in these windshields. To think there is no difference, is wrong. Don’t fight with the installer. Fight with the insurance company.
Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
toi (04-20-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 05:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
2019 SL450
I had mine replaced by Safelite last year. Went to their local facility as they did not want to do a mobile service. They did use OEM branded glass.

However... the tech did a sloppy job in that I found a few screws on the floorboard that he said he misplaced (and that he used some he had in his toolbox), plus he misrouted the washer fluid lines (I fixed that myself because he said it was right) and he lost one of the caps that cover the wiper arm bolt (and said it was never there, but was replaced by one I ordered at the dealership.

Very bad experience. Would not use them again. I was there for 2.5 hours, and about half the other customers were there to have a prior service corrected. Not good.
Bitbytr (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 06:13 AM

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
MB does not make, or install its own glass. There is no point in paying for MB to do it, because they are going to sub it out..
Originally Posted by JHop
Had Safelite replace the windshield on my 2015 911....first go at it with "OEM Equivalent"...nope. The owner of the shop negotiated with the insurance company and installed the OEM glass at the same cost ($500 deductible), so YMMV depending on the shop. Be sure to get a master installer to do the work, most shops have "the guy" and it's worth the wait to get it done right. Had no issues after the work was done. As far as I know, even when you take it to MB, they contract out the work anyway.
What does this mean exactly?
Does it mean, you take your car to a MB dealership. They accept the job but then drive your car to some offsite repair shop to do the windshield replacement. Then, drive your car back to the dealership and present the fixed car to you, all claiming they did the work and happily ask for your credit card?
Old 04-21-2023, 06:50 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
What it means is MB receives your car for windshield repair after you arrange for THEM to replace your broken windshield) They, MB contacts the company that MB uses and subs out the glass replacement work. The glass company (not MB) brings the glass and replaces the broken windshield at MB. MB then bills you their MB price for the glass replacement.They do not drive your car to the windshild company for repairs. The windshield company drives to MB to do the repairs just like they drive to your house to do the repairs. I have confirmed this more than once on my then CLK 430 and our then ML. Also confirmed by multiple glass companies at that time.

My CLK 430 windshield was replaced at MB. MB told me directly that they do not replace windshields at all and had a glass company do their work. The glass company has the windshields that are branded MB with a MD sticker. Those stickers are on ebay.
MB does not have a body shop either, those repairs are also sub contracted out..

Originally Posted by bishop64
What does this mean exactly?
Does it mean, you take your car to a MB dealership. They accept the job but then drive your car to some offsite repair shop to do the windshield replacement. Then, drive your car back to the dealership and present the fixed car to you, all claiming they did the work and happily ask for your credit card?
Yes on the bolded part.

Originally Posted by ZCARGUY
I had mine replaced by Safelite last year. Went to their local facility as they did not want to do a mobile service. They did use OEM branded glass.
However... the tech did a sloppy job in that I found a few screws on the floorboard that he said he misplaced (and that he used some he had in his toolbox), plus he misrouted the washer fluid lines (I fixed that myself because he said it was right) and he lost one of the caps that cover the wiper arm bolt (and said it was never there, but was replaced by one I ordered at the dealership.
Very bad experience. Would not use them again. I was there for 2.5 hours, and about half the other customers were there to have a prior service corrected. Not good.
I think it's like most companies, or shops. The people make all the difference in quality of work. One location can be terrible while another location is outstanding with that same company.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 04-21-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 SL63
My SL63 needed a new windshield, and I took it to Safelite. It was replaced with the factory OEM branded with the little logo. The car had to be brought to their shop for the replacement as it would need the recalibration of the camera/sensor. They did an excellent job. Cost was about $3500. I have a zero deductible, so no problem for me.
ThatsMyDawg (04-21-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SL400
Update on glass saga

[QUOTE=Dave's MB;8762918]My son was driving my SL (with my permission) and had a run-in with a turkey. Ultimately the turkey lost (RIP), but not before he smashed the right side of the windshield. No other damage other than a lot of glass and a few feathers in the interior, and no one but the turkey was injured.

I had the glass replacement done by Safelite using "OEM"glass...it had a MB logo on it, but no DM decal.
Good job all around, and I was pleased overall.

Imagine my surprise when I had the car out the other day and it started raining. The wipers came on as expected, but only the driver side wiper operated.

This may be an artifact from the install, and I'll be checking back with Safelite. If not, is this a typical issue? What do I have to look forward to?
Old 05-16-2023, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 725 Likes on 541 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
My question is when does Safelite get competition, so the local safelite shops have to be better?

As above some locales better then others and is all about how they treat their employees.

I find happy employees make for better work being done whether its new windshield, Tire balancing and alignment, lawn cutting or whatever.