Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 11:06 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
HomeLink Help

HomeLink help please
New garage door and opener today.
Instructions to clear HomeLink of the old codes say to hold the two outside buttons for 20 seconds until the small led next to the buttons begins to flash.
My experience on many attempts has been while pressing the outer buttons the led is solid yellow and after 20 seconds turns solid green...no flashing at all.
Two calls to HomeLink were fruitless. One agent was clueless and the other suggested that the solid green indicates the HomeLink is ready to program.
I don't think so, but moved on to programming the individual HomeLink buttons.
Instruction to program one button say to simultaneously press the opener remote and desired HomeLink button. The HomeLink led should be flashing slowly and then turn to rapid flashing when HomeLink has accepted the code. My experience is, again, no flashing whatsoever, slowly or otherwise
Anyone having any suggestions, tip or tricks to resolve this issue

Because the led does not blink (slow or fast) during the attempt at programming, I tend to think the HomeLink is not yet cleared. I can find no alternative instructions other than pressing the two outside buttons.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:39 AM

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
2013 SL550
I had issues getting mine programmed as well. Not sure why it can be such a pain. Finally put my laptop in the car and searched YouTube for instruction videos. Eventually it worked. Maybe someone else on here has a better solution.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 SL550 2022 E450 sedan 2018 silverado
Same thing for me new opener last winter called MB told me to see if opener had led bulbs if so take them out that did it for me.
Good luck
Old 04-27-2023, 05:46 PM

2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by punchlist
Same thing for me new opener last winter called MB told me to see if opener had led bulbs if so take them out that did it for me.
Good luck
LED bulbs? No way.
I proudly but two brand new led bulbs in the opener yesterday while patting myself on the back for my environmental and longevity savvy. Yikes.
I'll let you know.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:59 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I also have issues with a new opener while the old one in the third bay works perfectly. New opener seems to work only when it wants to. Interested in what you find out.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by punchlist
Good luck
Yep, I had similar issues. First I don't understand why germans can't get garage openers to work properly. Our Escalades/Navigator/CX5 open the doors first push, every time from almost any distance. In my BMWs and MBs you have to be lined up perfectly and hit it just right. Most times it takes 2-3 presses to get it to open. I also found the LED bulbs affected the MB's but not the other vehicles. They make special LED bulbs for garage door openers that are supposed to mitigate the interference. I can say they improve things but my MB's still have issues...
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (04-30-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 11:18 PM

2015 ML350+2021 E350
An update on programing a Genie Company garage door opener and the HomeLink remote buttons on your rearview mirror
Looks like this:

Jury is still out on the LED bulbs. Several sites did say that LEDs can interfere with signal transmission. I have not had that experience.

After some trial and error and a couple calls to each HomeLink and Genie Company, as well as a dozen YouTube views I have my new opener communicating with my rearview mirror (HomeLink).
Clearing old codes.
Per most instructions, press and hold the two outside buttons for about 20 seconds. Most instructions say that the HomeLink LED will change from solid amber to flashing amber.
My Mercedes experience: the HomeLink LED turns solid green (not flashing). Release the two outer HomeLInk buttons. You're ready to program

Programing the buttons.
Most instruction say to simultaneously press and hold the remote button and the designated HomeLink button until the HomeLink LED changes from slowly flashing to rapidly flashing amber.
My Mercedes experience: Press and release the selected HomeLink button only (don't press the remote). The HomeLink LED should turn from solid amber to flashing amber. NOW, press the remote and hold it close to the rearview mirror. The HomeLind LED changes to either solid green or rapidly flashing green. Solid green means your HomeLInk button should be programed and ready for use. OTOH, rapidly flashing green means you have to program the Homelink button to the new opener either because (and I'm not clear on this, but it doesn't matter) the opener has a rolling code, or the HomeLink software is too old for the new opener software. Now you must read your new opener instructions and find out how to put the opener in "learn" or "program" mode.
Most instructions say to put the opener in "learn/program" mode and quickly press the selected HomeLInk button, which is rapidly flashing green, for a few seconds, release and repeat, release and repeat, and so on, until the Homelink LED turns solid green.
My Mercedes experience: Follow the instructions to put the opener in "learn/program" mode and press and hold the selected HomeLink button. Do NOT release it until the HomeLink LED is solid green and, coincidentally, your garage door is opening or closing.
Good luck.