SL/R231: Windscreen replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
Windscreen replacement

Folks,

My windscreen cracked. It was repaired by Safelite Santa Fe, badly, several times - buzzing, broken pigtails etc... I have zero confidence they will ever fix it and dealing with them is a nightmare. I'm thinking my best option is to get it replaced at the large MB dealer in Albuquerque. Any thoughts before I go that route?

Thank You
Gary
Old 11-21-2023, 05:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
SL 550 (2014) Kia Sorento (2016)
The dealer is unfortunately the only way to go. If mine gets touched, the glass has to be perfect for the front facing camera or my headlights don't work properly. On top of that the camera has to be recalibrated. If you put in crappy glass youre going to have a big problem.
The following users liked this post:
NiceMerc (11-21-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 06:12 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
2019 SL450
Had a similar bad experience with Safelite. Routed the driver's side washer supply tube incorrectly, lost the cap over the driver's side wiper arm bolt, and then when questioned, told me it was never there (I replaced the cap at the dealer for $21) and that the tech's attention to detail was without question. Fixed both issues myself, and was also told they used their own screws and didn't need the ones I found laying in the floorboard afterwards. Only upside was they used OEM Mercedes glass, and everything seemed fine otherwise.

Never again.

The dealers normally sublet these repairs to outside vendors in my experience. I'll be going to one of the two highly reputable shops here in Nashville for future glass issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZCARGUY:
Bitbytr (11-22-2023), NiceMerc (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 SL550 Mars Red, Designo White interior, B and O sound
Safelite replaced my R230 windscreen. After I took it all the way to the top (Tom Feeney, CEO at the time, in Ohio) they ended up paying $3300 to the dealer to remedy the damage and failures they'd incurred in doing so. Never, ever again.
NiceMerc (11-22-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,419 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I had my windshield (that's what we call it in America!!!) on my C350 replaced because the local Safelite shop could not fix a small crack. They sent me to another Safelite shop that was certified to replace Mercedes windshields. The glass is genuine Mercedes, but my insurance covered it all for my $50 deductible. (By the way, my local dealer sublets glass jobs to the same shop.)

(J/K about the "America" comment. We do have British expats here that call them "windscreens".)
Old 11-23-2023, 11:49 AM

C300 and SL500
Nearly 30 years here and my "British" still shows through occasionally. FWIW we will be eating turkey and a variety of approved (but still strange to a Brit) side dishes today ;-) I wonder why we British went our own way with the naming of car parts - bonnet, boot, wing, windscreen, not to mention driving on the left!

I will be calling MBZ Albuquerque next week to ask if they can replace my "windshield". Even if they subcontract, it will be to a certified MBZ shop and I can work with the dealership and MBZ if there are problems.

Safelite is clearly set up to deal with the happy path. They offer lifetime warranty, which in this case means taking it back so they can mess it up again and again. Was it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?

Gary
Bitbytr (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by NiceMerc
Was it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?
I think Einstein had it wrong. Doing the same thing over and over again is called practice. Who gets it right the very first time for anything?

What makes you think Einstein was sane to begin with? I mean, he looked crazy!
NiceMerc (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 01:11 PM

C300 and SL500
LOL - if Safelite had said 'Bring your car in and we will practice fixing the windshield', I would have run away very quickly.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL - if Safelite had said 'Bring your car in and we will practice fixing the windshield', I would have run away very quickly.
I'm not suggesting to let someone "practice" on me or my stuff, just pointing out that Einstein was crazy!

Proctologists, urologists, and brain surgeons come to mind as a group that I don't want to practice on me!
Old 11-24-2023, 03:07 PM

Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts
SL 400
Not even going to lie here, but when you guys kept posting about "windscreen" I 100% thought you we're talking about the windscreen that we can raise and lower to cut down on wind noise while driving top down. It is only when I saw "Safelite" that I realized that you were taking about the "windshield". You guys must be from across the pond, or something lol.

Anyway, Safelite has changed our "windshields" multiple times over the years on our different MB vehicles. GLK 430, CLK 430, ML, etc. and not a single issue with any replacements. Zero. Always by different locations of Safelite and always a perfect fit and calibration when needed.

FYI at EVERY MB dealer I have ever been to they said that they DO NOT change windshields at all. They always have Safelite come and do the replacement. I have asked multiple times over the years. Safelite also told me that the only difference when they do it at an actual MB dealer is they use glass with the MB signature in the corner of the windshield. When you go to a Safelite location they do not. We always just purchased the signature online and attached it. Looked exactly the same.There was a whole thread/debate about this before and I told them the same thing.

Folks,

My windscreen cracked. It was repaired by Safelite Santa Fe, badly, several times - buzzing, broken pigtails etc... I have zero confidence they will ever fix it and dealing with them is a nightmare. I'm thinking my best option is to get it replaced at the large MB dealer in Albuquerque. Any thoughts before I go that route?

Thank You
Gary

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 11-24-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 SL550 Mars Red, Designo White interior, B and O sound
"Two great nations ..." etc. etc. Y'all understand what we mean for the most part. Let's not get into "fanny packs" versus "bum bags", however. Context, chaps: context.

Meanwhile, yes, I believe I may've been spectacularly unlucky with the jamoke I had come by to replace the front glass (!) on the R230: mine was eventually re-replaced by SafeLite in situ at the dealership, however, and the car repaired there afterwards. So, point made and taken, TMD!

I'll just never, ever have anyone do it unsupervised in my driveway again. Especially now the R231 wind... front glass needs replacing.

Last edited by Bitbytr; 11-26-2023 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bitbytr:
NiceMerc (11-25-2023), ThatsMyDawg (11-27-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 04:33 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
The windshield on my SL got a stone chip that became a long crack, literally, overnight. Here's what I found out: M-B are the only source for the R231 windshield, no matter who installs it. The glass was ~$1700 (and yes, it says Mercedes-Benz in beautiful script down in the lower right corner...just like the original). I had RBM M-B (Atlanta) install it, for an additional $600...so the total was ~$2300, all in. They insisted on keeping the car overnight to maximize the undisturbed drying time for the urethane sealant...and provided me with a free loaner. They did a perfect job, too. No missing fasteners, no loose or whistling anything. Just a newly-perfect windshield in my precious SL. Expensive? Oh yeah, and it was out of pocket, too. I found out the hard way that I didn't have glass coverage on my insurance. I do now!!
Old 12-12-2023, 05:41 PM

C300 and SL500
Thank you Bob, you have confirmed exactly what I learned the hard way.

Hope this thread helps the next person with a cracked windscreen/windshield/front glass...

I was able to specify MBZ glass to State Farm. The default was generic, but they didn't object when I specifically asked for genuine MBZ. I guess the trick to getting it 100% right would be getting the insurance company to also agree to replacement at the dealer rather than their regular glass replacement shop. Even if the dealer subcontracts the job, they should provide supervision, knowledge and customer service, all of which were sadly lacking at Safelite.

Gary
Bitbytr (12-13-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 04:56 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Thank you Bob, you have confirmed exactly what I learned the hard way.

Hope this thread helps the next person with a cracked windscreen/windshield/front glass...

I was able to specify MBZ glass to State Farm. The default was generic, but they didn't object when I specifically asked for genuine MBZ. I guess the trick to getting it 100% right would be getting the insurance company to also agree to replacement at the dealer rather than their regular glass replacement shop. Even if the dealer subcontracts the job, they should provide supervision, knowledge and customer service, all of which were sadly lacking at Safelite.

Gary
I'd be very curious to know exactly where the "generic" glass would be sourced from, as all my research revealed that the only place to get an R231 windscreen (at least, in the U.S.) was M-B. There were so few of these cars sold here that the factory is the only source...AFAIK