SL/R231: Paint code #197, Obsidian metallic black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 SL 550 R231
Paint code #197, Obsidian metallic black

Good day all,
I am touching up the front bumper of my 2013 SL.
I used spray can paint from Scratches Happen in the past but the colour was not close enough.
this time I am using another supplier but his code is Obsidian Pearl 197, the finish is pearl and I am told that the metallic finish will come out with the adding of a clear coat.
i would like to know if there is a difference in Obsidian black #197 and Obsidian black Pearl.
has anyone faced this issue, your input would de appreciated,
Best regards
SLDoug
Old 04-13-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
SL 400
I thinks thats what color I have.(197) I also think that if it were not any difference they wouldn't have different names, unless one is an update that replaced the other...

Originally Posted by SLDOUG
Good day all,
I used spray can paint from Scratches Happen in the past but the colour was not close enough.
this time I am using another supplier but his code is Obsidian Pearl 197, the finish is pearl and I am told that the metallic finish will come out with the adding of a clear coat.
i would like to know if there is a difference in Obsidian black #197 and Obsidian black Pearl.
Best regards
SLDoug
Old 04-14-2024, 07:08 AM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Originally Posted by SLDOUG
Good day all,
Best regards
SLDoug
My car is Diamond White Metallic, which is a tricolor paint, meaning it has a midcoat that contains the metallic. When you order it you get three cans: a base coat, a mid coat and a clear coat. Could that be the case for yours?
Old 04-14-2024, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 SL 550 R231
Thanks for your help.
i was worried because prior to the application of the clear coat the base coat dried to a pearl finish and you could not see any metallic finish in it but after the clear coat, the full Obsidian metallic colour appeared.
Regards
SLDoug