SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Hydraulic Fluid Replacement (ABC and Roof/Trunk) - When to replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 11:40 AM
PCR

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
'13 SL63
Hydraulic Fluid Replacement (ABC and Roof/Trunk) - When to replace?

Hi guys,

I tried to search on if or when I should replace the hydraulic fluid in my ABC suspension system and the Roof/Truck system.
So far everything is working, and I don't think I have any leaks.

I have a 2013 SL63 with about 55K miles.
My trunk does struggle to open when the outside temperature falls below ~40 degrees. That got me thinking that maybe I should look into replacing the hydraulic fluid.

Do you guys change the ABC or Roof/Trunk fluid?

Thanks,

PCR
Old 05-31-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Originally Posted by PCR
Hi guys,

I tried to search on if or when I should replace the hydraulic fluid in my ABC suspension system and the Roof/Truck system.
So far everything is working, and I don't think I have any leaks.

My trunk does struggle to open when the outside temperature falls below ~40 degrees. That got me thinking that maybe I should look into replacing the hydraulic fluid.

Thanks,

PCR
I've not heard of any change interval for the roof and trunk. For ABC it's best not to change it unless it needs it based on color.

Your trunk may just be the struts that hold the trunk open going bad. Does the trunk lid start to sag after it's open? That's the struts. Easy fix.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:37 PM
PCR

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
'13 SL63
Originally Posted by jmattioni
I've not heard of any change interval for the roof and trunk. For ABC it's best not to change it unless it needs it based on color.

Your trunk may just be the struts that hold the trunk open going bad. Does the trunk lid start to sag after it's open? That's the struts. Easy fix.
Thanks Joe.

I don't think the trunk sags, but I will take a look. Agreed that the struts are an easy fix.

Thanks,

BTW: I used to live in West Chester, now I'm in Wilmington. #gobirds!
Old 06-02-2024, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sl400
Last month my wife’s GLC’s electric trunk would come back down after opening it’s a 2019 an never had issues, went to the MB dealer asked for twos struts and the inspector said to make an appointment for a diagnostic check to see in the closing motor engages early. I left. I then bought online two compatible lift-o-matic struts for 50 Euro each and the trunk works as a charm.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 143 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Downdraft
Last month my wife’s GLC’s electric trunk would come back down after opening it’s a 2019 an never had issues, went to the MB dealer asked for twos struts and the inspector said to make an appointment for a diagnostic check to see in the closing motor engages early. I left. I then bought online two compatible lift-o-matic struts for 50 Euro each and the trunk works as a charm.
My daughter moved to Denver and the dealership there has generally taken very good care of her, informing her that her 2017 GLC has an extended warranty we were unaware of. The hatch struts weren't covered of course, and they quoted her $600+ to replace them, then offered her a discounted $500+ price. I bought the pair of OEM Stabilus struts for less than $64, carried them on a flight and installed them in 5 minutes.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
SL 400
I have never seen, nor heard of anyone replacing fluid in trunk struts. You just purchase two and swap them out. Many, many people have issues with the trunk creeping down in winter when temps drop. This forum covered it multiple times. When spring returns the trunk stays open as it should again. Just swap the trunk struts out...
Originally Posted by PCR
Hi guys,

Thanks,
PCR