SL/R231: Passenger Seat Adjustments Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL 550
Passenger Seat Adjustments Questions

Hello Group,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Purchased my 2014 SL 550 9 months ago as a project car with some known issues.
Lots of cosmetic issues and making significant progress.
Thanks to #Thats My Dawg, I've installed the CarPlay and changed out the steering wheel trim. His step-by-step pics helped tremendously!
That being said, I'm having some issues with the passenger seat adjustments. All the door controls are working for each function.
However, when I try to move the seat to the rear, the backrest begins to move to a vertical position.
The more you try to move the seat to the rear, the more vertical the backrest gets.
Also, when you try to recline the backrest, the seat bottom moves forward. By the time you get the seat reclined to a comfortable position, the seat is so far forward my wife can't even sit down.
It worked perfectly when purchased. This issue just started.
Any ideas ? Thanks in advance for any replies. This group with their wealth of information has taught me a lot about these cars.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 06:35 AM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Originally Posted by TinManMike
Hello Group,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Purchased my 2014 SL 550 9 months ago as a project car with some known issues.
Lots of cosmetic issues and making significant progress.
Thanks to #Thats My Dawg, I've installed the CarPlay and changed out the steering wheel trim. His step-by-step pics helped tremendously!
That being said, I'm having some issues with the passenger seat adjustments. All the door controls are working for each function.
However, when I try to move the seat to the rear, the backrest begins to move to a vertical position.
The more you try to move the seat to the rear, the more vertical the backrest gets.
Also, when you try to recline the backrest, the seat bottom moves forward. By the time you get the seat reclined to a comfortable position, the seat is so far forward my wife can't even sit down.
It worked perfectly when purchased. This issue just started.
Any ideas ? Thanks in advance for any replies. This group with their wealth of information has taught me a lot about these cars.
First, I suggest looking under the seat to make sure there's nothing interfering with movement. Beyond that, I suspect that you would see a fault code if you used a diagnostic scanner.

If you plan to do a lot of work on the car yourself then I suggest you get Xentry or a scanner of similar capability. Using Xentry I recently ran a normalization for the driver's seat on my SL because there was a code about seat positioning not being normalized. That process moved the seat to each extreme position to recalibrate the position sensors.

If you don't want to deal with a scanner at this point then there is usually a procedure you can do manually that's equivalent to normalization. I've heard of it done for the windows, but don't know about the seats. Maybe someone else knows?
Old 07-31-2024, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,212 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Spend $160 and get the LAUNCH Creader Elite 2.0 BENZ to scan for codes and perform functions such as seat calibration. That's the cheapest way to go. Eventually, if you keep the car or any Mercedes in the future, you will want a membership with BenzNinja. You will get a full copy of XENTRY, WIS, EPC, Vediamo, and DTS Monaco, along with lifetime support for your car. Many members here have a membership with him and will tell you it is well worth it.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Make sure electrical system is functioning properly before running adaptation (Fuses, motors etc….)
Also clear any stored codes before running normalization (adaptation)

ESA adaptation from WIS
see attached

Good Luck!
Attached Files

Last edited by crconsulting; Yesterday at 07:17 PM.