SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: 2021 SL R232/233 or will it be CY2022 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:52 AM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Strongly recommend to get a 2017 or newer facelift model instead of a 2016. Both are great cars but you are better of with the facelift model. Better tech, 9 speed transmission, better looking car. Also look for well optioned models and best, one with ABC. Makes a world of difference. Either way, your 2019 S560 should be worth more than either until getting a 2019 SL550 in regards to trade-in.
Solid advice. We drove quite a few different SLs when shopping. There is a notable difference in the 2017 and later vs. the pre-facelift. We quit looking at anything older than 2017.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It's a crying shame that Mercedes makes a wonderful new I6 and then doesn't put it in their most iconic car, the SL. Terrible to make customers choose between a 4-cylinder and what will be too much V8 for many buyers. The SL53 should be an I6 model. Period. AMG is not doing anything with the I6 which is a shame and it looks like no further development of the I6 will happen. The new W206 C-Class deserves the I6 and so does the SL. I guess the next GLC will also be all 4-cylinders too. Terrible.

M
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
It's a crying shame that Mercedes makes a wonderful new I6 and then doesn't put it in their most iconic car, the SL. Terrible to make customers choose between a 4-cylinder and what will be too much V8 for many buyers. The SL53 should be an I6 model. Period. AMG is not doing anything with the I6 which is a shame and it looks like no further development of the I6 will happen. The new W206 C-Class deserves the I6 and so does the SL. I guess the next GLC will also be all 4-cylinders too. Terrible.

M
We were told the engine bay isn't long enough for the I6.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 312 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
If true, it's a shame. I have owned around 15 BMWs and all but 2 had an Inline 6. This is a very balanced design and provides a very smooth driving experience especially at idle. My current BMW, an X5, has one of the newest I6 engines and it is a dream. Very powerful but very smooth and quiet cruising at 70 mph and at idle. I may replace it in a few years with a Mercedes sedan IF it has the Inline 6, otherwise I stick with a BMW.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
Originally Posted by rmorin49
If true, it's a shame. I have owned around 15 BMWs and all but 2 had an Inline 6. This is a very balanced design and provides a very smooth driving experience especially at idle. My current BMW, an X5, has one of the newest I6 engines and it is a dream. Very powerful but very smooth and quiet cruising at 70 mph and at idle. I may replace it in a few years with a Mercedes sedan IF it has the Inline 6, otherwise I stick with a BMW.
Since MY19, there are two sedans using the I6 engine - E53 and CLS53.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Yeah because they didn't design it to fit. This is Mercedes-Benz, that excuse is pitiful. They regularly have vehicles that fit a 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder and V8s in the same engine bay. They never designed the new C-Class to accommodate it because they never had an intention of using it. If that is the same case with the SL then it's the same thing, no intention of using it. You know Mercedes can make an I6 fit in any car they want, it's called engineering. They didn't used to be afraid to cheap to do some of it. Even the current C has an I4, V6 and V8. An I6 might require a little extra length, but that wouldn't be a problem if you designed the car to fit it from the start.

M
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BillyD
Since MY19, there are two sedans using the I6 engine - E53 and CLS53.
Every 6-cylinder Mercedes now uses it except the C43 and GLC43.

M
Old 08-31-2021, 02:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
Every 6-cylinder Mercedes now uses it except the C43 and GLC43.

M
I was responding to the gentleman who was asking about the use of I6 engines in Sedans. I did forget the S500. So there are 3, not 2.

Last edited by BillyD; 08-31-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Yeah because they didn't design it to fit. This is Mercedes-Benz, that excuse is pitiful. They regularly have vehicles that fit a 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder and V8s in the same engine bay. They never designed the new C-Class to accommodate it because they never had an intention of using it. If that is the same case with the SL then it's the same thing, no intention of using it. You know Mercedes can make an I6 fit in any car they want, it's called engineering. They didn't used to be afraid to cheap to do some of it. Even the current C has an I4, V6 and V8. An I6 might require a little extra length, but that wouldn't be a problem if you designed the car to fit it from the start.

M
Don't forget how they even stuffed their big V12 into the R231’s & some previous SL’s. So many of us have been all hopped up about the retractable hardtop going away, that we haven’t even been thinking about motive power. I guess I just assumed that the new car would have I6, V8, possibly hybrid and electric variants, I never even imagined the very premium SL with a lowly 4 cylinder. Very disappointing, I don’t care how it performs.

The new SL should have been a regular MB, designed & engineered by MB in house, not farmed out to AMG. The SL wasn’t meant to drive or LOOK like a fire breathing AMG super car, it is supposed to be an elegant, polished, refined, utterly luxurious & comfortable GRAND TOURING car, for TWO people. Having AMG design the car is like asking Lamborghini to build you an S Class.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
crconsulting (08-31-2021), MBNUT1 (09-01-2021), places (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Of course it's nonsense. The M178 engine in the AMG GT models is not only larger and heavier than the M256 inline 6, it is also sitting behind the front axle. While the new SL will have a traditional front engine location and an attached transmission (which will take some space), it could have been easily fitted. See a pic of the V8 engine; not necessarily small

I have no insights but assume that the engine strategy is based on simplifying engine choices as we are seeing the sunset of the ICE. Mercedes has moved up the timeline to move toward electrification by a full 5 years. That means hybrids and full electric and less traditional engine choices.

Not what I want but they won't change their strategy for a few customers that bemoan the change of engine designs. I will also expect that the change will have zero impact on sales. Most people couldn't care less which engine powers their cars, provided it has sufficient power and has the right label on the trunk.

On a separate note, MB has just changed their agency model for all their dealers in Germany. This means moving forward, the cars aren't owned by dealerships anymore and discounted accordingly to move them (discounting the current inventory issue/crazy market due to COVID/Chip availability) as they used to burn a hole in their pocket. They will be owned by MB on the showroom floor instead. The result will be minor discounts rather than a potential triple net.
Be interesting to see how that will work out and if that will jump across the pond.

Streamliner (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Don't forget how they even stuffed their big V12 into the R231’s & some previous SL’s. So many of us have been all hopped up about the retractable hardtop going away, that we haven’t even been thinking about motive power. I guess I just assumed that the new car would have I6, V8, possibly hybrid and electric variants, I never even imagined the very premium SL with a lowly 4 cylinder. Very disappointing, I don’t care how it performs.

The new SL should have been a regular MB, designed & engineered by MB in house, not farmed out to AMG. The SL wasn’t meant to drive or LOOK like a fire breathing AMG super car, it is supposed to be an elegant, polished, refined, utterly luxurious & comfortable GRAND TOURING car, for TWO people. Having AMG design the car is like asking Lamborghini to build you an S Class.
Yeah the 4-cylinder thing is terrible. However that old formula of the SL just wasn't viable anymore. The car needed a new spin to remain relevant, AMG is the ticket. I'd wait to see what they come up with as far as how it drives. It isn't going to be fire breathing supercar, that's what the next AMG GT will be. I would suspect this SL will be like a BMW M8 or Jaguar F-Type SVR competitor, sporty and luxurious. Think 911 Cabrio but more luxurious. Not a 911 GT3 RS. I think you're writing it off before you've even seen the car just because AMG is taking lead on development. With a V8 or even the I4 and all the hybrid/electrics it's not going to be some lightweight sports car, it will still very much be a GT.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 08-31-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Streamliner (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Most people couldn't care less which engine powers their cars, provided it has sufficient power and has the right label on the trunk.
Perhaps in the lower offerings badging drive sales and power plants matter less or none but as you ascend price points, people will explore options. Particularly in the performance segment which the new SL seems to be more focused on. I truly am anxious to see how the four banger priced well into the 100K range will fare (assuming this is the actual price point).
Streamliner (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Yeah the 4-cylinder thing is terrible. However that old formula of the SL just wasn't viable anymore. The car needed a new spin to remain relevant, AMG is the ticket. I'd wait to see what they come up with as far as how it drives. It isn't going to be fire breathing supercar, that's what the next AMG GT will be. I would suspect this SL will be like a BMW M8 or Jaguar F-Type SVR competitor, sporty and luxurious. Think 911 Cabrio but more luxurious. Not a 911 GT3 RS. I think you're writing it off before you've even seen the car just because AMG is taking lead on development. With a V8 or even the I4 and all the hybrid/electrics it's not going to be some lightweight sports car, it will still very much be a GT.

M
So why not do both? A superb and dynamic top of the line in performance and luxury with hardtop and a super good looking interior? Also with exterior styling that is nothing like anything else on the road, really heighten the senses. The design keeps getting excused by the wonderful tech and driving dynamics. Should have it all. Too many compromises for a legendary model line.
Streamliner (09-15-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis

M
I agree, interest and love for the SL has been fading over the last decade, a change was needed, and if anything I'm just glad the SL will live given the current state of convertibles and ICE. I will be very happy if it gains some of the confident dynamics from the GT as well as its looks. While the SL nameplate is legendary, the car has been anything but that in decades, the only one I would call "legendary" is that of the original, as it was an actual sports car which was derived from the racing variant, to which the GT, SLR, and SLS are closer to than the SL. While the last few SL's were fine cars, I do wish they were more dynamic and lived up to the S in SL, which stands for sport, not to mention the looks could also be drastically improved as the car hasn't been a beauty queen in over a decade.

Last edited by js_cls; 08-31-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by places
So why not do both? A superb and dynamic top of the line in performance and luxury with hardtop and a super good looking interior? Also with exterior styling that is nothing like anything else on the road, really heighten the senses. The design keeps getting excused by the wonderful tech and driving dynamics. Should have it all. Too many compromises for a legendary model line.
Well looks are just a matter of opinion. Hard tops aren't needed anymore and they're too heavy and complex. What you're describing is what the next SL will or is trying to be. You're going to get the S-Class interior, 2 seats with 2 fake ones (like other SL models in the past), a V8 and all the tech and luxury Mercedes has to offer. I don't see what would be missing on a SL63. Now whether you like how it looks or not doesn't change what it is in the design brief. I don't understand what you mean the design keeps getting excused by tech and dynamics. This SL is no different than any AMG version of a previous SL, more focused perhaps but it isn't fundamentally different from any other AMG version of any previous SL. What's missing is the regular SL500/550 that everyone is used to.

M
Old 09-12-2021, 09:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by js_cls
I agree, interest and love for the SL has been fading over the last decade, a change was needed, and if anything I'm just glad the SL will live given the current state of convertibles and ICE. I will be very happy if it gains some of the confident dynamics from the GT as well as its looks. While the SL nameplate is legendary, the car has been anything but that in decades, the only one I would call "legendary" is that of the original, as it was an actual sports car which was derived from the racing variant, to which the GT, SLR, and SLS are closer to than the SL. While the last few SL's were fine cars, I do wish they were more dynamic and lived up to the S in SL, which stands for sport, not to mention the looks could also be drastically improved as the car hasn't been a beauty queen in over a decade.
Agreed on most all points.
I however didn't find the SLR or GT a beauty either, very awkward looking uber long nose and the GT combined a long snout with a 911 esque rear making it even more awkward looking imho especially in coupe form, GTC was best iteration thus far. Holding out to see the new SL in the flesh and hope it's a winner as its been many years since I've owned one and would luv to add it to the list again.

Last edited by RJC; 09-12-2021 at 09:28 PM.
MBNUT1 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm shocked no one has sneaked a camera/phone in to get a pic. It was shown to VIPs in Munich also. With the way things are right now it's no telling how long the wait will be for this car now. Mercedes dealers have no cars and introductions have been pushed back.

M
Old 09-16-2021, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I'm shocked no one has sneaked a camera/phone in to get a pic. It was shown to VIPs in Munich also. With the way things are right now it's no telling how long the wait will be for this car now. Mercedes dealers have no cars and introductions have been pushed back.

M
Apparently the car will be at the upcoming AMG Driving Academy sessions as my salesman will be attending. That being said, they typically take your phones from you before entering the building in which the car is in. Only leaks were from the photoshoot, everything else is just spy shots and with the camo thinning its pretty easy to get a good idea of the overall design.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Apparently the car will be at the upcoming AMG Driving Academy sessions as my salesman will be attending. That being said, they typically take your phones from you before entering the building in which the car is in. Only leaks were from the photoshoot, everything else is just spy shots and with the camo thinning its pretty easy to get a good idea of the overall design.
If so we'll find out as we will be at the AMG Driving Academy at Laguna Seca next week
Old 09-16-2021, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Apparently the car will be at the upcoming AMG Driving Academy.

I hope this is correct. We are scheduled for Oct at Road Atlanta. I need to see it to determine if I keep my deposit.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I hope this is correct. We are scheduled for Oct at Road Atlanta. I need to see it to determine if I keep my deposit.
I'm not 100% certain, but my salesman was told by his GM they would have an SL there. I don't know which location/day he's going though. I imagine they'll do it in the same way they did pebble beach in a private room.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I was able to take a glimpse at dealership paperwork that listed the future model lineup. the first models will indeed be SL 55 and 63 as told by those at Pebble Beach, the 53 moniker will not be used.

Last edited by js_cls; 09-18-2021 at 09:15 AM.