SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: When o when o when

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Nice color package. The rear looks a bit "stubby", needs a couple more inches.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
KJohnston (06-21-2021), Wolfman (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by ZCARGUY
Looks good although I really wish they'd start designing rear bumpers for the US because the two humps by the side of the license plate are the most annoying design of my CLS.
The following users liked this post:
Wolfman (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
“Say, Hans, do you have that new SL design ready? You know it’s due tomorrow, right? Well, Hans was busy with getting ready for Oktoberfest and all, so he took the AMG GTC drawings out, pulled up his PhotoShop software, chopped a little here, lengthened a little there and “DA-DA,” he presented the new SL design on time! Tune in again next week car fans for another exciting episode of Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing!

Old 06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Streamliner
“Say, Hans, do you have that new SL design ready? You know it’s due tomorrow, right? Well, Hans was busy with getting ready for Oktoberfest and all, so he took the AMG GTC drawings out, pulled up his PhotoShop software, chopped a little here, lengthened a little there and “DA-DA,” he presented the new SL design on time! Tune in again next week car fans for another exciting episode of Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing!

Don’t get angry at Hans. He mostly works in the commissary you know.....😊
Old 06-21-2021, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I am unsure what you would expect. The AMG GT roadster was the latest MB roadster design and is also the best looking top down MB has made IMHO apart from some classics. Apart from the hard top, what exactly would you want to see in the car?

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-22-2021 at 06:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
js_cls (06-22-2021), Keon (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
BMW 8 Convertible will be direct competition looks very generic though.
​​​​
The only thing that matters is China and ROW. The SL price is too low for USA and Canada where people who want to display wealth to friends and public buy the most expensive long lead car they can get for many months of anticipation when most can get anything they want today.

If I wanted a 4 seat convertible I would probably just get a $60K loaded mustang with magneride for it's relatively compact dimensions , good looks and great engineering, then have the interior trimmed in cheap full custom color leather that can take a beating and sunscreen haha.

I may order one soon just as a fun summer beater car.

Originally Posted by rmorin49
I don't think the new soft top SL at $100K+ will appeal to me. I'd rather buy a nice 3 series convertible and actually have a rear seat that can seat 2 adults in reasonable comfort at least for a couple hours and for probably half the cost.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I am unsure what you would expect. The AMG GT roadster was the latest MB roadster design and is also the most the best looking top down MB has made IMHO apart from some classics. Apart from the hard top, what exactly would you want to see in the car?
I would have hoped for something more unique and exclusive looking. Something that doesn’t appear to be a near clone of an existing model. A car that would turn the heads of most every style conscious adult and 15 year old kid. Of course, I would have loved something a bit retro. You keep saying how this SL is going back to its roots, with the fabric top and high performance, so why could they have not taken that idea into the exterior design and given us a modern day 300SL roadster? Instead, they are giving us a car that appears to blend in with several other current offerings, an almost generic, contemporary design.

So, I’m ready for the argument that the SL no longer sells in numbers that make it relevant, that convertibles are somehow passé, that we should be happy that we are getting ANY new SL, but I believe that MB is responsible for much of that phenomenon, for reasons I have previously ranted about here. The SL used to be one of THE most lusted after cars on the planet. It could have remained that way if MB had paid it enough attention, but they pretty much ignored the model for decades and Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley and others were just thrilled that they did. Oh well.

crconsulting (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I would have hoped for something more unique and exclusive looking. Something that doesn’t appear to be a near clone of an existing model. A car that would turn the heads of most every style conscious adult and 15 year old kid. Of course, I would have loved something a bit retro. You keep saying how this SL is going back to its roots, with the fabric top and high performance, so why could they have not taken that idea into the exterior design and given us a modern day 300SL roadster? Instead, they are giving us a car that appears to blend in with several other current offerings, an almost generic, contemporary design.

So, I’m ready for the argument that the SL no longer sells in numbers that make it relevant, that convertibles are somehow passé, that we should be happy that we are getting ANY new SL, but I believe that MB is responsible for much of that phenomenon, for reasons I have previously ranted about here. The SL used to be one of THE most lusted after cars on the planet. It could have remained that way if MB had paid it enough attention, but they pretty much ignored the model for decades and Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley and others were just thrilled that they did. Oh well.

In my case the soft top is the deal killer. Had them, don’t like them. Also, I am curious if the new SL will have a integrated touch screen or the ugly “we attached this with a hot glue gun” screen now on some MB’s.
allfortheunion (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
In my case the soft top is the deal killer. Had them, don’t like them. Also, I am curious if the new SL will have a integrated touch screen or the ugly “we attached this with a hot glue gun” screen now on some MB’s.
So far all reports indicate the disco ball screen found in the S and C class.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
The under 70 demo
LOL
Old 06-22-2021, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

If there is one thing we can be certain of is that Mercedes doesn't do retro. The closest thing to that was the SLS but then only via the gullwing doors and that was that.

Given the current trends I also doubt that people would lust over any convertible, no matter the brand or design. Has to be a hyper car some annoying SUV. I can bet that the best selling Ferrari will be its upcoming SUV, just like it did for Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche...
js_cls (06-22-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
What I don’t understand is if they are replacing the GT C with the new SL, why make it so generic looking when the GT C is one of the best looking two seaters on the market. At $130k+, I would assume that buyers in that market are looking for exclusivity and what’s currently being shown comes across as a scaled down E class to me. Hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised when the launch in a few weeks shows us something worthy of replacing the current SL & GT C.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SteveL1
What I don’t understand is if they are replacing the GT C with the new SL, why make it so generic looking when the GT C is one of the best looking two seaters on the market. At $130k+, I would assume that buyers in that market are looking for exclusivity and what’s currently being shown comes across as a scaled down E class to me. Hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised when the launch in a few weeks shows us something worthy of replacing the current SL & GT C.
Obviously, SL not a priority for MB. Personally I think the GTC ragtop is better looking than the incoming SL (based on what we have seen thus far, will reserve final judgement). MB not interested in creating benchmark roadsters. It's now all about sharing platforms and streamlining production with a ton of marketing. Wolf is right, sadly annoying SUV's are where it's at.