SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: SL63 remote start oddity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 100 Likes on 48 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
SL63 remote start oddity

I have only used the remote start feature on my SL63 through the app a few times since it just got cold here so the windows and top were all up. I always leave the top down if it's not raining and above 60* out.

It starts up fine, but when I go to the car to get in the doors are locked and no matter which method I use to unlock the doors, the engine stops. That seems very weird to me and inconvenient. One time it also made me dig my key out of my pocket and put it in the tray before it would start. Any thoughts on my doing something wrong here?

Also, on a side note my M8 Comp will start easily with the windows and top down which is helpful when it's hot and you want to give the AC a head start. The engine does not stop either with the car sensing the key when close then unlocking the doors. MB seems to have an illogical point of view on this feature.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,814 Likes on 2,396 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by JohnGigi
I have only used the remote start feature on my SL63 through the app a few times since it just got cold here so the windows and top were all up. I always leave the top down if it's not raining and above 60* out.

It starts up fine, but when I go to the car to get in the doors are locked and no matter which method I use to unlock the doors, the engine stops. That seems very weird to me and inconvenient. One time it also made me dig my key out of my pocket and put it in the tray before it would start. Any thoughts on my doing something wrong here?

Also, on a side note my M8 Comp will start easily with the windows and top down which is helpful when it's hot and you want to give the AC a head start. The engine does not stop either with the car sensing the key when close then unlocking the doors. MB seems to have an illogical point of view on this feature.
It is actually normal for the engine to turn off on a Mercedes when you unlock the vehicle and open the door after remote starting.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:09 PM

2022 AMG SL63
Crap, that sucks.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
BMW definitely does it better. We have remote start in the GLE and the M8. We are now getting the first snow and the M8 is cozy warmth remote start as it heats the seats and steering wheel as well and it does indeed not stop the engine on unlock. This is how MB remote start always worked. Does the SL heat the seats as well? Other GLE only heats the car...
Old 11-14-2022, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
BMW definitely does it better. We have remote start in the GLE and the M8. We are now getting the first snow and the M8 is cozy warmth remote start as it heats the seats and steering wheel as well and it does indeed not stop the engine on unlock. This is how MB remote start always worked. Does the SL heat the seats as well? Other GLE only heats the car...
I guess Mercedes quote "safety reasons" to not keep the engine running after opening the door so a thief can't drive the vehicle away after getting in the vehicle.

Another thing I notice with remote start on an MB is that when you turn off climate control (specifically A/C) before exiting the vehicle, it remains off and remote start doesn't intelligently turn it back on in a hot summer day, I found that decision strange if the sole purpose of remote start is to regulate the cabin's temperature before the driver or passenger enters the vehicle, is that happening to your GLE as well?
Old 11-14-2022, 02:21 PM

2022 AMG SL63
The SL does heat and cool the seats, but in most cases it is not able to be automated. However, there are times the seat heat/cool choice you last made comes on when you start the car. Not always though so it must have to meet some algorithm criteria.

On the SL vs M8 automation, I think BMW has quite a few more comfort preset options that you can set such as the seats/wheel heating comes on below a defined temperature outside. Same with seat cooling if the outside temp reaches a criteria you can set. I haven't seen any of that flexibility in the SL yet.

The inability to remote start the SL with the top down and turning the car off when you unlock it after a remote start seems too safety sensitive. MB goes a little too far in its nanny state mentality I think.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I guess Mercedes quote "safety reasons" to not keep the engine running after opening the door so a thief can't drive the vehicle away after getting in the vehicle.

Another thing I notice with remote start on an MB is that when you turn off climate control (specifically A/C) before exiting the vehicle, it remains off and remote start doesn't intelligently turn it back on in a hot summer day, I found that decision strange if the sole purpose of remote start is to regulate the cabin's temperature before the driver or passenger enters the vehicle, is that happening to your GLE as well?
FWIW, BMW keeps the engine running but you can't drive off with a remote started car. Need to step on the brake and press the start button again which actually authorizes the car. This only works if you have your key, digital key (card) or phone on you. So the process works the same. If I would nitpick, the BMW doesn't heat the passenger heat to the dislike of my wife but it's much better than a cold seats/steering wheel. As John stated, BMW has many more climate comfort options that automatically kick in at certain temps.

For comparison, many AMG's have no heated steering wheel at all, no matter the price. Especially if an Alcantara steering wheel is involved.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

FWIW, BMW keeps the engine running but you can't drive off with a remote started car. Need to step on the brake and press the start button again which actually authorizes the car. This only works if you have your key, digital key (card) or phone on you. So the process works the same. If I would nitpick, the BMW doesn't heat the passenger heat to the dislike of my wife but it's much better than a cold seats/steering wheel. As John stated, BMW has many more climate comfort options that automatically kick in at certain temps.

For comparison, many AMG's have no heated steering wheel at all, no matter the price. Especially if an Alcantara steering wheel is involved.
That certainly sounds like a better approach but I wonder if a thief can bypass that somehow and simply drive the car when the engine running. That said though, it doesn't take much to bypass a Mercedes without the engine running once they are in the car so ya BMW wins here with the implementation.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
That certainly sounds like a better approach but I wonder if a thief can bypass that somehow and simply drive the car when the engine running. That said though, it doesn't take much to bypass a Mercedes without the engine running once they are in the car so ya BMW wins here with the implementation.
Right. I should add that if you could get into the running BMW (remote-started) it cannot be put into gear. It runs but that's about it.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63,2021 GLS63s,2021 GLA45
My early oddities are that the dealer cant tell me and the manual is unclear as to whether my new SL63 has a lithium battery or not --manual speaks specifically to a mat battery--which for me if its true is great cause its parked for eons sometimes--like 2 mos in the winter--my lithium battery previous sl's and GTs had to be trickle charged so if the battery when I hear is not lithium--I am happy because I have a parking spot at the condo with no ac access,

The other fresh oddity i have with side by side parking with my SL and 2021 GLS 63 is I cant go down with both keys in my pocket -say to use the GLS-once I am close to the vehicles--like 10' the SL automatically unlocks and the handles come out--easy answer is only to take the keys of the car I am using--Apparently its a problem/issue unique to the SL door locks and to all new Mercedes electric vehicles--apparently when you may at sometime own two Merc electrics side by side both cars will unlock bet only the car you have the key for will start (according to dealer)

I do love amongst other things like the ride compared to the GT and the smaller HID display--far less distracting in size but still very readable-learn more every day.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by James Nevin
My early oddities are that the dealer cant tell me and the manual is unclear as to whether my new SL63 has a lithium battery or not --manual speaks specifically to a mat battery--which for me if its true is great cause its parked for eons sometimes--like 2 mos in the winter--my lithium battery previous sl's and GTs had to be trickle charged so if the battery when I hear is not lithium--I am happy because I have a parking spot at the condo with no ac access,

The other fresh oddity i have with side by side parking with my SL and 2021 GLS 63 is I cant go down with both keys in my pocket -say to use the GLS-once I am close to the vehicles--like 10' the SL automatically unlocks and the handles come out--easy answer is only to take the keys of the car I am using--Apparently its a problem/issue unique to the SL door locks and to all new Mercedes electric vehicles--apparently when you may at sometime own two Merc electrics side by side both cars will unlock bet only the car you have the key for will start (according to dealer)

I do love amongst other things like the ride compared to the GT and the smaller HID display--far less distracting in size but still very readable-learn more every day.
This is in the trunk under the removable floor panel. Standard lead acid battery.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
SLS
This picture shows AGM battery
Old 11-16-2022, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by mr.rpm
This picture shows AGM battery
AGM (Advanced glass mat) is advanced lead acid battery.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
Originally Posted by California John
AGM (Advanced glass mat) is advanced lead acid battery.
Have you tried to charge the battery directly? I got a call from my detailer who is finishing the Xpel/tint and he said they had a hard time charging the battery and had to use a boost to get it started; he was wondering if they could charge the battery directly. He put in a call to the dealer and they are getting back to him. For some reason I think this is going to be an ongoing problem. More than a coincidence that so many of our SL's have this issue
Old 11-16-2022, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
650iC
Add my new SL63 to the list. Picked it up from the dealer on Monday and drove it straight to the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Started getting the now infamous critical starter battery charge messages the next day.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by EZ2020
Have you tried to charge the battery directly? I got a call from my detailer who is finishing the Xpel/tint and he said they had a hard time charging the battery and had to use a boost to get it started; he was wondering if they could charge the battery directly. He put in a call to the dealer and they are getting back to him. For some reason I think this is going to be an ongoing problem. More than a coincidence that so many of our SL's have this issue
No I haven't. I think the remote terminals under the hood are for safety and ease of access reasons. I don't imagine there are any attenuation issues between the remote terminals and the battery itself but I could be quite wrong!
Old 11-16-2022, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by 2012 CLS63
Add my new SL63 to the list. Picked it up from the dealer on Monday and drove it straight to the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Started getting the now infamous critical starter battery charge messages the next day.
Be sure to take it to the dealership. The more Germany gets bombarded with this issue the sooner they are likely to find a solution.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Right. I should add that if you could get into the running BMW (remote-started) it cannot be put into gear. It runs but that's about it.
Good to hear. Thanks for your reply. I was initially worried they can somehow bypass that lock and still put it in gear but sounds like BMW has a robust system to prevent that.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63,2021 GLS63s,2021 GLA45
Each of my past couple AMGs with Mercedes Me starting shut off when you unlock . Being a little too careful I say--I have as well a 2022 Jeep Gladiator with remote start.

The engine will NOT shut off when you unlock to get in but the vehicle will NOT shift into gear unless you have their smart key AND push the start button first.

Now that makes more sense to me. IMHO

JP
Old 02-08-2023, 09:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by James Nevin
Each of my past couple AMGs with Mercedes Me starting shut off when you unlock . Being a little too careful I say--I have as well a 2022 Jeep Gladiator with remote start.

The engine will NOT shut off when you unlock to get in but the vehicle will NOT shift into gear unless you have their smart key AND push the start button first.

Now that makes more sense to me. IMHO

JP
Ya sounds like what the BMW does as mentioned above.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:20 PM

2022 AMG SL63
I would add that my M8 remote starts with the top and windows down and the SL63 won't remote without everything locked up. On a hot summer day, the M8 remote starting the AC when I left the top down is very helpful and, as mentioned, it doesn't shut off when you get in the car. MB seems to have to much nanny-state technology built in or its own good, our good actually. Too protective in too many areas.