SL/R232: Is the AMG SL success story?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 03:08 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Looking at convertible sales in the winter is meaningless and non conclusive.

I also find them a more difficult sell, but for different reasons that I stated earlier and to be fair, the R231 SL63 was an incredibly hard sell as well and that during the whole lifecycle of the model, not just the beginning.
Those cars could be had for 20% off anytime and used cars prices used to be worst…

Which was difficult to understand. I loved those SL’s but the 63 stood out for its lousy 7speed MCT transmission which was never updated to the much better performing 9 speed MCT at facelift time.

I think time will tell during the summer time once more properly spec’d 23 models are showing up, discounts off MSRP (which are available now) and MB contemplating to bring the smaller model here.
Where are you finding discounts off msrp?
Old 03-05-2023, 03:12 PM

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by RJC
Where are you finding discounts off msrp?
Wolfman was referring to R231 SL63 sales at 20% discounts off MSRP at the time when they were available for sale. I think that did happen often but not all the time like Wolfman said.

I know for a fact that R232 SLs which have been sitting for a while are sometimes being discounted to move. It takes a savvy buyer to negotiate a discount in this environment, but it’s possible. Dealers eventually tire of watching cars collect dust in the showroom for 30+ days let alone 60+ days.

I just bought a German luxury convertible for 4.66% under MSRP without trying very hard.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by 348SStb
What do you find lousy about the 7-spd MCT?

Porsche doesn’t seem to have trouble selling new convertibles this winter. There are 4 of them if any model posted on Autotrader .
The 9 speed is much more responsive and shifts in any mode from 1st gear (the 7 speed shifts from 2nd gear in comfort). Big lag on paddle shifts, especially in manual mode, wonky downshifts... different gearing.
I think the 7 speed feels good when in faster modes (S+/Race) but if you start driving a 9 speed MCT and the Getrag DCT you'll appreciate how well they are mated to the AMG engine. Unfortunately I can't tell how the 9 speed would be with the M157 engine but with the 4 liter engine it is an excellent package.

In regards to the 911, this is unfortunately a tired comparison. Same as comparative resale values. Porsche fine tuned the 911 market and calibrated supply and demand for a very long time. They have done an outstanding job and are being rewarded for it.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wolfman was referring to R231 SL63 sales at 20% discounts off MSRP at the time when they were available for sale. I think that did happen often but not all the time like Wolfman said.

I know for a fact that R232 SLs which have been sitting for a while are sometimes being discounted to move. It takes a savvy buyer to negotiate a discount in this environment, but it’s possible. Dealers eventually tire of watching cars collect dust in the showroom for 30+ days let alone 60+ days.

I just bought a German luxury convertible for 4.66% under MSRP without trying very hard.
He also referred to 23’s under msrp

What did you buy?

Old 03-05-2023, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Getting discounts on a R232 isn't difficult in cold weather states right now. I haven't checked how good the latest deal could be as we aren't in the market but 10% should be very achievable right now.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:39 PM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by RJC

What did you buy?
Oh you’re right. He did.

Would like to keep the brand and model of the purchase undisclosed for now.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-05-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC

What did you buy?
I actually meant 22's...
Old 03-05-2023, 03:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Getting discounts on a R232 isn't difficult in cold weather states right now. I haven't checked how good the latest deal could be as we aren't in the market but 10% should be very achievable right now.
I don’t know about up north but discounts, let alone 10% anywhere in the SE region aren’t happening. Many still have addendums even on 22’s…if a 23 can be had at msrp it’s rather rare at the moment. Since you’re in the north care to share a dealer contact you think might offer 10%? EDIT even on a 22?

Old 03-05-2023, 03:51 PM

The 9 speed is much more responsive and shifts in any mode from 1st gear (the 7 speed shifts from 2nd gear in comfort). Big lag on paddle shifts, especially in manual mode, wonky downshifts... different gearing.
I think the 7 speed feels good when in faster modes (S+/Race) but if you start driving a 9 speed MCT and the Getrag DCT you'll appreciate how well they are mated to the AMG engine. Unfortunately I can't tell how the 9 speed would be with the M157 engine but with the 4 liter engine it is an excellent package.

In regards to the 911, this is unfortunately a tired comparison. Same as comparative resale values. Porsche fine tuned the 911 market and calibrated supply and demand for a very long time. They have done an outstanding job and are being rewarded for it.
I owned a 9-speed MCT in a 2019 AMG C63S. I’m familiar.

My experience is the 7-speed MCT more or less behaves like the 9 speed with 2 fewer gears and slightly less responsiveness in general. The 7-speed MCT shifts as fast as my 2022 Porsche PDK between gears. What the 7- and 9-speed MCT transmissions do that no Porsche PDK does (can’t speak for any GT cars PDK) is shift down multiple gears with a single long hold of the downshift lever.

The 9-speed MCT in my facelift 2019 C63S coupe was a bit clunky. Yes, it was. Coming to a stop was usually a clunk-fest with accompanied shuttering. Also the clutch seemed to slip a small bit when driving off. These may be connected to the tuning involved for the C63S.

The 9-speed MCT is better than the 7-speed. But I don’t think the 7-speed is lousy, and I don’t think there is a night and day difference between the two.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-05-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
I don’t know about up north but discounts, let alone 10% anywhere in the SE region aren’t happening. Many still have addendums even on 22’s…if a 23 can be had at msrp it’s rather rare at the moment. Since you’re in the north care to share a dealer contact you think might offer 10%?
Let me check with some that I know and see how they come back. But you can try what I found to be a rather effective method. Started doing that when we got our BMW M8 Comp coupe. Almost $30k off just 2 months after they launched the car in the US and stuffed the channel just like MB did with the SL's...

Look at every car you like in cold weather states on cars.com, etc. Doing that towards the end of the month can help. Smaller dealers outside large networks are ideal. Not every dealer can move $200k cars...
Send each one same message. You like the car and are reading to pull the trigger if they meet your (not outlandish) discount. Let's say, 10% off. You can transact right away but do not mention how you'll pay. Cash is unattractive given the profit-sharing model with MB for financing/leasing.
They loose the service revenue but they will be wiling to move the car to drop the flooring costs.

Send it to maybe 15 dealers or so for sufficient feedback. Some will not respond, some will tell to to take a hike and pound sand and others will counter. Then just focus on the ones that are closest to your discount request... Dealers will come back to you if they have no leads.

The following users liked this post:
RJC (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I owned a 9-speed MCT in a 2019 AMG C63S. I’m familiar.

My experience is the 7-speed MCT more or less behaves like the 9 speed with 2 fewer gears and slightly less responsiveness in general. The 7-speed MCT shifts as fast as my 2022 Porsche PDK between gears. What the 7- and 9-speed MCT transmissions do that no Porsche PDK does (can’t speak for any GT cars PDK) is shift down multiple gears with a single long hold of the downshift lever.

The 9-speed MCT in my facelift 2019 C63S coupe was a bit clunky. Yes, it was. Coming to a stop was usually a clunk-fest with accompanied shuttering. Also the clutch seemed to slip a small bit when driving off. These may be connected to the tuning involved for the C63S.

The 9-speed MCT is better than the 7-speed. But I don’t think the 7-speed is lousy, and I don’t think there is a night and day difference between the two.
Much of our driving involves city traffic and I found the 7 speed MCT to be quite clunky; maybe different on an open road but nowhere like the 9 speed. To me the difference was night/day, but also different cars. Our E63s had a lot more power and AWD. Admittedly our M8 with a ZF slush box did a better job here. Again, car specific.
The GT models have the 7DCL750 DCT from Getrag, same as the Ferrari 458 Italia although the gearing is a bit different. 2nd gen. Ford GT uses the same gearing as the AMG's.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:28 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let me check with some that I know and see how they come back. But you can try what I found to be a rather effective method. Started doing that when we got our BMW M8 Comp coupe. Almost $30k off just 2 months after they launched the car in the US and stuffed the channel just like MB did with the SL's...

Look at every car you like in cold weather states on cars.com, etc. Doing that towards the end of the month can help. Smaller dealers outside large networks are ideal. Not every dealer can move $200k cars...
Send each one same message. You like the car and are reading to pull the trigger if they meet your (not outlandish) discount. Let's say, 10% off. You can transact right away but do not mention how you'll pay. Cash is unattractive given the profit-sharing model with MB for financing/leasing.
They loose the service revenue but they will be wiling to move the car to drop the flooring costs.

Send it to maybe 15 dealers or so for sufficient feedback. Some will not respond, some will tell to to take a hike and pound sand and others will counter. Then just focus on the ones that are closest to your discount request... Dealers will come back to you if they have no leads.
I’m often on cars.com etc. looking at inventory nationwide. Would appreciate your help with the dealers you’ve used previously as I’d know they have a good track record.

toddw (03-17-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 06:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Much of our driving involves city traffic and I found the 7 speed MCT to be quite clunky; maybe different on an open road but nowhere like the 9 speed. To me the difference was night/day, but also different cars. Our E63s had a lot more power and AWD. Admittedly our M8 with a ZF slush box did a better job here. Again, car specific.
The GT models have the 7DCL750 DCT from Getrag, same as the Ferrari 458 Italia although the gearing is a bit different. 2nd gen. Ford GT uses the same gearing as the AMG's.
Agree, the 7G was an essentially a disaster and the 9G is far better. I do wish MB would leave the trans stuff to ZF..
Streamliner (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
Agree, the 7G was an essentially a disaster and the 9G is far better. I do wish MB would leave the trans stuff to ZF..
I note that 7G is a torque converter transmission whereas 7-speed MCT is a multi-clutch transmission without a torque converter.

Do you really think disaster is the appropriate word? Did you own a 7-speed MCT and hate it? I my SL63 with 7-speed MCT is far from a disaster. It suits the car very well. There are zero issues with it. It’s just not quite as responsive as the 9-speed. And it doesn’t behave like a conventional automatic, which I accept and do not use as a factor when evaluating it. The single clutch automated transmissions pioneered by Ferrari (F1) were criticized mostly by people who didn’t know how to drive a manual. The MCT is not a conventional automatic transmission.

I do agree with you on this — the 8-speed ZF would be better. I think it’s better than everything out there. I don’t understand why Mercedes invests its time, energy, and money making its own transmissions.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-05-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I note that 7G is a torque converter transmission whereas 7-speed MCT is a multi-clutch transmission without a torque converter.

Do you really think disaster is the appropriate word? Did you own a 7-speed MCT and hate it? I my SL63 with 7-speed MCT is far from a disaster. It suits the car very well. There are zero issues with it. It’s just not quite as responsive as the 9-speed. And it doesn’t behave like a conventional automatic, which I accept and do not use as a factor when evaluating it. The single clutch automated transmissions pioneered by Ferrari (F1) were criticized mostly by people who didn’t know how to drive a manual. The MCT is not a conventional automatic transmission.

I do agree with you on this — the 8-speed ZF would be better. I think it’s better than everything out there. I don’t understand why Mercedes invests its time, energy, and money making its own transmissions

I reference the 7G not mct, nonetheless, the mct version has its share of well-known problems like clunky up/down shifting as does the non-mct version. I had the 7G in my new at the time S550 coupe, and yes, unfortunately it was a disaster, so bad so that I got a 17 as soon as they came out which had the 9G, much better but still not on par with the ZF 8 spdFurthermore I keep my GT cars in auto mode rarely ever using the paddles which would essentially eliminate the clunkiness but not its root cause…

Last edited by RJC; 03-05-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I do agree with you on this — the 8-speed ZF would be better. I think it’s better than everything out there. I don’t understand why Mercedes invests its time, energy, and money making its own transmissions.
Agree disaster is a strong phrase, wether it's the G-tronic or the MCT. Ultimately one has to recognize that the car has to match the audience. When the AMG GT/GTC roadsters were launched, a number of SL customers tried the car and were shocked by the things that made these cars awesome. Bare bone, firm, loud. Difficult to enter due the performance seats/seating. Those cars were less practical, lousy rear view, tiny trunk. On the other hand, these cars are a joy to drive, lightweight (lighter than a 911 TS cab), front-mid engine, rear wheel steering, transaxle. According to our dealer, not one SL customer switched. Cool with me, I never looked back

The SL63 would have been better suited with a different transmission, given the audience. The MCT was the biggest complaint on the R231 63. The SL 65 on the other hand had an old-school slush box and was well liked by its owners. Of course, that car had bigger issues dynamically...

The AMG GT models were very successful as a coupe, less so as the roaster. Not enough of an audience. The new AMG SL will find its audience IMO for all the reasons I have mentioned previously.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-05-2023 at 07:35 PM.
California John (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 08:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

My experience with the 7G was as I wrote “essentially a disaster”, it was clunky and harsh in its operation especially for vehicles like S class coupes and sedans, and is far from catering to its intended audience as it should/was intended. I failed to mention due to the trans’ poor operation it was in service a lot, never getting it right even with the help of Germany, valvebody/megatonic tuning, replacement etc.

With respect to the MCT as in the S63 Coupes - I was given one to try for an extended overnight test drive, it was new and just PDI’d and wasn’t a good experience at all. I have two friends that bought them even after me telling them not to, both kept them for a very short time due to the trans and the trans only. Too bad the 63 S coupe is an otherwise lovely sport GT.

Last edited by RJC; 03-05-2023 at 08:23 PM.
chassis (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by RJC
My experience with the 7G was as I wrote “essentially a disaster”, it was clunky and harsh in its operation especially for vehicles like S class coupes and sedans, and is far from catering to its intended audience as it should/was intended. I failed to mention due to the trans’ poor operation it was in service a lot, never getting it right even with the help of Germany, valvebody/megatonic tuning, replacement etc.

With respect to the MCT as in the S63 Coupes - I was given one to try for an extended overnight test drive, it was new and just PDI’d and wasn’t a good experience at all. I have two friends that bought them even after me telling them not to, both kept them for a very short time due to the trans and the trans only. Too bad the 63 S coupe is an otherwise lovely sport GT.
My experience is quite different. I had a GTS for a couple of years then got a GTC vert for 3 years and am now driving an SL 63. Had been wondering about the transmission - because I loved the trannies in the AMG GTS and GTC. But I find the transmission in the AMG SL 63 excellent - for my use. Whether I loaf through town, slide through a long sweeper with my foot to floor transiting the exit point perfectly or whatever. Quite adaptable to my needs. I guess this is just another what one experiences and expects.
Wolfman (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by RJC
The 9 speeds in our SL450 and E450 wagon perform flawlessly. The 9 speed in my 2020 S560 had such a harsh 4-3 downshift, they bought the car back. The 9 speed in my 2022 S580, at lower speeds, in traffic, is downright sloppy, often hunting for the right gear. I too wish MB would leave transmissions to the true experts.
RJC (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by California John
My experience is quite different. I had a GTS for a couple of years then got a GTC vert for 3 years and am now driving an SL 63. Had been wondering about the transmission - because I loved the trannies in the AMG GTS and GTC. But I find the transmission in the AMG SL 63 excellent - for my use. Whether I loaf through town, slide through a long sweeper with my foot to floor transiting the exit point perfectly or whatever. Quite adaptable to my needs. I guess this is just another what one experiences and expects.
I don’t believe the trans in the gtc/s is the 7Gmct.
I’m happy to hear the 9G in your new 63 is operating well…good to know.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
The 9 speeds in our SL450 and E450 wagon perform flawlessly. The 9 speed in my 2020 S560 had such a harsh 4-3 downshift, they bought the car back. The 9 speed in my 2022 S580, at lower speeds, in traffic, is downright sloppy, often hunting for the right gear. I too wish MB would leave transmissions to the true experts.
Amazing, works so well in some applications, yet in others so poorly a buy back was needed. I hope it’s at least shifting smoothly in the 22 580.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
I don’t believe the trans in the gtc/s is the 7Gmct.
I’m happy to hear the 9G in your new 63 is operating well…good to know.
Dual Clutch made by Getrag,
California John (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 450 Likes on 358 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Agree disaster is a strong phrase, wether it's the G-tronic or the MCT. Ultimately one has to recognize that the car has to match the audience. When the AMG GT/GTC roadsters were launched, a number of SL customers tried the car and were shocked by the things that made these cars awesome. Bare bone, firm, loud. Difficult to enter due the performance seats/seating. Those cars were less practical, lousy rear view, tiny trunk. On the other hand, these cars are a joy to drive, lightweight (lighter than a 911 TS cab), front-mid engine, rear wheel steering, transaxle. According to our dealer, not one SL customer switched. Cool with me, I never looked back

The SL63 would have been better suited with a different transmission, given the audience. The MCT was the biggest complaint on the R231 63. The SL 65 on the other hand had an old-school slush box and was well liked by its owners. Of course, that car had bigger issues dynamically...

The AMG GT models were very successful as a coupe, less so as the roaster. Not enough of an audience. The new AMG SL will find its audience IMO for all the reasons I have mentioned previously.
I think it was the success of the GT that doomed the SL. GT buyer younger better demographic, higher transaction prices, better coverage in the auto media.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,016 Likes on 3,156 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by RJC

Underscores the point that MB does not know what it is doing with transmissions and should exit that part of the business, leaving it to the professionals at ZF and Aisin.
Streamliner (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,016 Likes on 3,156 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As with the 7G, the 9G is no better. Not a precision instrument but rather a barely-up-to-the-task collection of components. MB boxes are not good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: Is the AMG SL success story?