SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Hard to believe, but the new AMG GT will sport the SL Interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 06:24 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Hard to believe, but the new AMG GT will sport the SL Interior

Next Saturday at 12 noon MB will unveil the new AMG GT at the Monterey school.
However, MB ran the GT at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK recently, in funky colors for sure but really without camouflage. There is actually a pretty good video online where this car unceremoniously ended up against a small hill.

One of the photos ( attached) shows the interior and I really could not believe my eyes, the same TESLA wannabe center screen as in the S and SL.

So, the GT is supposed to be a "hardcore" sports car and it sure has the necessary hardware to achieve that. However, how in the world does that square with a Mickey Mouse cheap looking instrument panel in front of your nose and a big screen that distracts you from the business you should be dealing with in a car like this?

I for one am hugely disappointed, and wonder if there is anyone left at MB who actually likes and understand cars? I have a SL63 and enjoy the performance and the handling, and I do not hate the look although I do prefer the look of the old AMG Roadster. I do understand MBUX and the interface in the car. However, every time I sit inn the car I pine for old fashioned round instruments, and simple and easy to operate switches and buttons - and I can't even imagine how I would feel if this is what I had to deal with in what is supposed be a proper sports car.

Last edited by Tifoso48; 08-14-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,602 Posts
2019 C63CS
This thread might be worth reading for some perspective and context: https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ble-beach.html.

As I tried to explain there, GT stands for grand tourer. I'd argue that the GT going forward is living up more to its name. The current GT really didn't live up to its badge. Great track car, but pretty much every other AMG was a much better grand tourer.

Having said that, I do agree with you on the touchscreen situation, the horrible capacitive buttons and the lack of physical buttons for common functions. Playing Whack-A-Mole mid-flight trying to change a setting with my arm floating in the air is a complete ergonomic disaster. I do however not miss analog instrument clusters. I love the Supersport layout in my C63S coupe, but I don't like the latest digital instrument clusters. The new layouts are like Christmas trees and are actually less customizable. Below is my typical configuration that I use. RPM, gear front and center with performance information on the left and temperatures/pressures on the right. What I love most is the AMG Drive Unit which allows me to change driving modes etc. from the steering wheel (still there in the SL and new GT), but also the fact that I have redundant buttons in the center console for the lesser used functions that I don't have mapped to the steering wheel buttons (missing in all the new AMGs). For example I have the suspension and exhaust mapped to the steering wheel buttons, but I can still quickly reach down to the middle console to turn off ESP or put the transmission in M.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-14-2023 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:51 PM

I would be very happy if I could get that kind of display in front of me in the SL!
The following users liked this post:
superswiss (08-14-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
It's definitely a shame what is happening to the AMG GT. MB's only actual sports cars in their lineup and the ones that could give 911's a run for their money. Old school yes, but lightweight.

As for grand tourer, I know that the AMG GTC roadster is a better car to travel distances than our E63s ever was. As long as one is OK to travel light

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-15-2023 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 03:37 PM

I can’t wait to see the new AMG GT with this interior as a Safety Car at a Formula One Grand Prix - the automotive press is going to have a field day and justifiably so.

however, I believe the track ready old GT is going to live on for a while.