SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Fabric protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 04:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 SL63 + 2019 e-tron
Fabric protection

Hello, did a search and nothing came up; my SL63 is my first convertible and I'm curious if there is some sort of general consensus on the best method to protect the fabric roof, up to and including . . . do nothing. I do expect to cover my car on most occasions, but the fabric will still be subject to bird droppings and such. When the weather warms up a bit, I will ceramic coat the paint and now thinking about roof protection, thanks for your experiences! KH
Old 02-23-2024, 03:07 AM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
SL63
If there isn’t a detailing thread, or forum here there should be one.
I have not looked, but neither did I come across one.
Such a thread or forum should suggest best cleaners for touchscreens, leather, interior, tires, body etc.
It should also address best waxes as well.
There should even be explanations of the worst materials to use in any given circumstance.
And yes, there should be a topic about other protectants, like in your example for fabric convertible roofs.
The first thought I had was scotch guard. But who knows, that might be terrible to put on that fabric.
Not for nothing, but I can remember the shine coming off the hype around armor all products.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63, 2020 Porsche Taycan
I've had multiple cars with fabric convertible tops and always used 303 Fabric guard on them. It has always worked very well for me. Use 303 Fabric cleaner first, then use a tape lint roller to get anything off the top, then spray on the 303 fabric guard per instructions. Make sure to tape up or otherwise mask your windows and paint next to the top.